Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever slow-smoked a squirrel?

Has anyone ever slow-smoked a squirrel?

Without the hound around lost much of my garden, all the cantaloupes, to squirrels. So I figure it is time for some thinning, but don't want a good thing to go to waste. I figure I'll wait till the end of fall until they are fattened. I've had campfire roasted squirrel, but want to try something different.
    So.. has anyone here had or tried slow-smoked squirrel? What kind of wood? Jokingly a friend suggested Pecan. Sounds good to me!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Without the hound around lost much of my garden, all the cantaloupes, to squirrels. So I figure it is time for some thinning, but don't want a good thing to go to waste. I figure I'll wait till the end of fall until they are fattened. I've had campfire roasted squirrel, but want to try something different.
    So.. has anyone here had or tried slow-smoked squirrel? What kind of wood? Jokingly a friend suggested Pecan. Sounds good to me!

That has got to be a NC thingy. I have a friend who eats squirrel and her husband smokes it in their smokehouse. I believe they use cherry and apple wood.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    That has got to be a NC thingy. I have a friend who eats squirrel and her husband smokes it in their smokehouse. I believe they use cherry and apple wood.
    Lol. My Alabama kin ate a lot of squirrel. I'd imagine it has to do with a subsistence thingy. Aside from a month long survival trip I took upon myself several years ( who am I kidding..DECADES ) ago I haven't had any. But, alas, they have to be thinned and I don't want them to go to waste. Cherry and apple wood are some good smoking wood though. I don't have a "smoke house" only my new Weber. It works just fine though. I've already perfected my butts, whole chickens and ribs. I figured I'd add squirrel to the list.

It was terribly hard to get the little guy's face to fit right in the bong, but yeah.

I think we are friends with the same people there -- I was going to mention that I do not but I know someone who does... They teach their son to shoot hunting squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I think we are friends with the same people there -- I was going to mention that I do not but I know someone who does... They teach their son to shoot hunting squirrel.
    Yep. They gave my hubby one Christmas some smoked venison and he went nuts over it. They do know how to smoke their meats.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Yep. They gave my hubby one Christmas some smoked venison and he went nuts over it. They do know how to smoke their meats.
    And my oh my do they know how to make some lamb!

OK. Now I'm jealous about your mutual friend.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The best squirrel I have had was in a Gumbo. If I had some squirrel right now I would make a Gumbo or cook it in the slow cooker to soften the meat. Squirrel is tough and low in fat so I don't think it will smoke well but I never tired so don't really know.

Quote Originally Posted by brooks009 View Post
    The best squirrel I have had was in a Gumbo. If I had some squirrel right now I would make a Gumbo or cook it in the slow cooker to soften the meat. Squirrel is tough and low in fat so I don't think it will smoke well but I never tired so don't really know.
    Well now, I hadn't even considered that. I do like some gumbo. As far as the fat I do understand this and is why I will wait for late fall to harvest. I'm really not anticipating a long smoke time given their size/ fat content. Maybe three hours at 225 degrees. Still, might have to consider adding to a gumbo the left overs. There will easily be a dozen.

You're making me hungry! LOL!

Our friend is definitely the salt of the earth!

Dang. Now you've made me want some deer jerky. That stuff is great!
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

You're making me hungry! LOL!

Our friend is definitely the salt of the earth!
    Do me a flavor, donnay, and ask their smoking temp and time for squirrel. Also ask if they brine or rub. If they brine ask what their mix is.
    Last edited by phill4paul; 08-27-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Do me a flavor, donnay, and ask their smoking temp and time for squirrel. Also ask if they brine or rub. If they brine ask what their mix is.

Will do.

I have, but I didn't inhale.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Will do.
    Thanks!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll take squirrel over deer anyday....My fav is wrapping in bacon and putting it on the grill...Doesn't hurt to boil it first to tender it up...Do that and its falling off the bone delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    I have, but I didn't inhale.
    Where did you get papers big enough to roll it?

Don't start getting gross on this site... OMG .... don't talk about eating squirrels , pretty please ?????

Grocery store beef is probably more gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Where did you get papers big enough to roll it?
    Two machetes and a campfire. Hot knives
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Squirrel and dumplings are always cooked in the pressure cooker at our house.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    Don't start getting gross on this site... OMG .... don't talk about eating squirrels , pretty please ?????
    This reminds me of an interesting squirrel eating story.

A friend brought fresh squirrel to a cook out to roast over our open fire pit. He had not done a very good job of getting the skin and fur off of the meat. While were cooking and getting ready to enjoy, one of the girls said what we were eating looked like "Hairy Arm Pit".

I could not eat any more.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

"Tree-Rats" are really quite good if ya' fix 'em right.

Best part is if you hunt with pellets dinner for 8 cost under a buck...

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've smoked a lot of meat, but I've never had squirrel. If you have a "flavor injector" that might help it to stay moist. I'd probably inject it with a mix of apple juice, melted butter (or coconut oil), and maybe apple cider vinegar. Wrap it in bacon and smoke with apple or maple wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsoldier View Post
    I'll take squirrel over deer anyday....My fav is wrapping in bacon and putting it on the grill...Doesn't hurt to boil it first to tender it up...Do that and its falling off the bone delicious.
    Thanks for the advise. Have a rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I've smoked a lot of meat, but I've never had squirrel. If you have a "flavor injector" that might help it to stay moist. I'd probably inject it with a mix of apple juice, melted butter (or coconut oil), and maybe apple cider vinegar. Wrap it in bacon and smoke with apple or maple wood.
    Was considering injection. Sounds like a great plan there Root. +rep.

Curious. How do you know you are not handling or cooking a rabid or diseased squirrel?

I have allot of woodchucks and squirrels around and often wondered if things got bad could they be a source a food. I thought probably not since I have seen a few sick ones and a couple that appeared to be rabid. But if I did not recognize the symptoms how would I know if what I caught was safe to eat?

I have not put a squirrel on the smoker , but I have put partridge on there , chicken quarters and they turned out fine.

Was considering injection. Sounds like a great plan there Root. +rep.
    Thanks. I'd be interested to hear how it works out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast