Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating too much red meat could increase the risk of Alzheimer's

Eating too much red meat could increase the risk of Alzheimer's

Eating too much red meat could increase the risk of Alzheimer's: Scientists warn build-up of iron may damage the brain
    Brain-imaging shows iron build-up may cause oxidant damage to tissues
    This disrupts nerve-signal communication and causes brain plaques
    Dietary changes could help prevent the onset of the disease

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz2cqBNSFaW
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Three Words:
    Fresh American Seafood.

You might want to write that down somewhere before you forget it.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah the mercury and other toxins in seafood are much better in large quantities.

Moderation, and knowing where your food comes from.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Also news: drinking too much water at once can cause you to drown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I've heard donating blood is a great way for men and post-menopausal women to lower their iron levels if they are too high and it simulates realistic scenarios in which ancient man would lose blood from injuries before we had bandages and whatnot.

If you're paying attention to other threads here, red meat is integral for good health. What's the point of avoiding Alzheimer's if it gives you a heart attack?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Studies Dispel Myth Of Cancer-causing Red Meat

Main Category: Nutrition / Diet
    Also Included In: Cancer / Oncology
    Article Date: 05 Jun 2007 - 1:00 PDT
    Recent studies published in the journalCancer Science have disproved the common myth that consumption of red meat increases colorectal cancer risk.

Published by the world's largest society publisher Wiley-Blackwell, the study also found that consumption of fish and fish products was similarly inversely related to the risk.

High intake of red meat has traditionally always been associated with increased risk of colorectal cancer, especially in Western countries. There has recently been heightened interest in examining the role n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) plays in enabling colorectal cancer prevention further, as existing epidemiological findings are limited and inconsistent.

Researchers have run a large case-control study in Japan, examining associations of meat, fish and fat intake with risk of colorectal cancer, paying particular attention to the subsite within the colorectum. The Fukuoka Colorectal Cancer Study - using a newly developed personal-computer software for registering semi quantitative food frequencies - found that intake of beef/pork, processed meat, total fat, saturated fat or n-6 PUFA showed no clear association with the overall or subsite-specific risk of colorectal cancer.

Lead author, Dr. Yasumi Kimura from the Graduate School of Medical Sciences at Kyushu University said, "There was an almost significant inverse association between n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) intake and incidences of colorectal cancer, particularly in the distal colon."

"This study provides further evidence that a diet with a high intake of fish and n-3 PUFA can help reduce the risk of colorectal cancer."

The published findings not only disproves the common hypothesis that consumption of red meat increases colorectal cancer risk, the results also suggest that a high intake of fish may in fact decrease the risk- particularly in the case of distal colon cancer.

About Cancer Science

Cancer Science (formerly Japanese Journal of Cancer Research) aims to present research that has a significant clinical impact on oncologists or that may alter the disease concept of atumor. The Journal publishes original articles and editorials, letters to the editor, review articles and reports describing original research in the fields of basic, translational and clinical cancer. Subject categories include: carcinogenesis, tumor biology and pathology, molecular biology and genetics, epidemiology and prevention, immunology and virology, experimental therapeutics, and clinical medicine.

About Wiley-Blackwell

Wiley-Blackwell was formed in February 2007 as a result of the merger between Blackwell Publishing Ltd. and John Wiley & Sons, Inc.'s Scientific, Technical, and Medical business. Together, the companies have created a global publishing business with deep strength in every major academic and professional field. Wiley-Blackwell publishes approximately 1,250 scholarly peer-reviewed journals and an extensive collection of books with global appeal. For more information on Wiley-Blackwell, please visit www.blackwellpublishing.com orwww.interscience.wiley.com

what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Also, cannabis helps prevent and even reverses Alzheimer's and dementia.. which makes me think that it is related to inflammation... which can then be blamed on an inflammatory diet of carbs, grains and grain fed meats, rather than good pastured and grass fed meats.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Solution, donate blood. Positive side effect, you get cookies/pizza/ice cream/water oh, and save lives. I've been giving blood for years and love it. I recommend it. It even works as a yearly physical (well, not legally).
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Studies Dispel Myth Of Cancer-causing Red Meat

Main Category: Nutrition / Diet
    Also Included In: Cancer / Oncology
    Article Date: 05 Jun 2007 - 1:00 PDT
    Recent studies published in the journal[I]Cancer Science have disproved the common myth that consumption of red meat increases colorectal cancer risk.

Published by the world's largest society publisher [B]Wiley-Blackwell, the study also found that consumption of fish and fish products was similarly inversely related to the risk.

High intake of red meat has traditionally always been associated with increased risk of colorectal cancer, especially in Western countries. There has recently been heightened interest in examining the role n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) plays in enabling colorectal cancer prevention further, as existing epidemiological findings are limited and inconsistent.

Researchers have run a large case-control study in Japan, examining associations of meat, fish and fat intake with risk of colorectal cancer, paying particular attention to the subsite within the colorectum. The Fukuoka Colorectal Cancer Study - using a newly developed personal-computer software for registering semi quantitative food frequencies - found that intake of beef/pork, processed meat, total fat, saturated fat or n-6 PUFA showed no clear association with the overall or subsite-specific risk of colorectal cancer.

Lead author, Dr. Yasumi Kimura from the Graduate School of Medical Sciences at Kyushu University said, "There was an almost significant inverse association between n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) intake and incidences of colorectal cancer, particularly in the distal colon."

"This study provides further evidence that a diet with a high intake of fish and n-3 PUFA can help reduce the risk of colorectal cancer."
    The OP was about Alzheimer's,not Colon Cancer.

Maybe you forgot,do you have any Fishsticks in your freezer?
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    90% of these studies aren't worth much of anything. Too much of anything is bad for you. Live your life in moderation and you'll be fine.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."

Was I the only one initially confused by the fact that this thread was started by mad cow?
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by malkusm View Post
    Was I the only one initially confused by the fact that this thread was started by mad cow?
    Conflict of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Conflict of interest.
    Hardly.Although my screen name might affect some at such a subliminal level that they won't recognize or admit to it even as they are pulling into the parking lot at Red Lobster.

Dietary sources of iron aren't as much of a consequence as iron supplements or ingesting too much mineral iron from raw sources (e.g., unseasoned cookware). Incidentally, donating blood may temporarily lower iron counts, but it actually increases iron absorption since the body is trying to recover what was lost. Eventually, the body takes only the iron it needs and the uptake lowers.

Conversely, some people have genetic disorders that interfere with the regulation of iron and thus have high iron counts. So long as you're not sucking on raw iron or ingesting supplements, I wouldn't worry about this since the amount of red meat needed to equal a supplement is rather high.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    Three Words:
    Fresh American Seafood.

You might want to write that down somewhere before you forget it.
    We're supposed to believe this coming from a mad cow? What skullduggery is this?

Oh, never mind. I didn't see that someone already asked.

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-23-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Solution, donate blood. Positive side effect, you get cookies/pizza/ice cream/water oh, and save lives. I've been giving blood for years and love it. I recommend it. It even works as a yearly physical (well, not legally).
    Apropos of nothing,I thought I would mention that New Hampshire Has a vibrant Fresh Seafood Industry that is vitally important to the economic health of the entire State.

Quote Originally Posted by mad cow View Post
    The OP was about Alzheimer's,not Colon Cancer.

Maybe you forgot,do you have any Fishsticks in your freezer?
    Meh, so many bull$#@! articles out there trying to condemn red meat it's easy to grab the wrong one.
    http://www.biblelife.org/myths.htm
    The claims that red meats like beef, lamb, and pork are unhealthy are myths with absolutely no basis in scientific studies or logical nutritional data. The reverse is actually true. Red meat with its natural fat is a very healthy food and heals the body of many diseases. These meats do not contain unnatural levels of hormones as stated by the numerous myths, distortions, and lies. Any hormone given to a steer is eliminated naturally by the animal's body well before slaughter. These meats do not contain unhealthy levels of pesticides. Any pesticide which may have been on the animal's food or sprayed on the animals to control pests is eliminated naturally by the animal before slaughter. Laws and meat inspections prevent the sale of red meat with any unhealthy level of hormones or pesticides.

I would not be surprised if the author of the OP is a schill for teh FDA or special interests

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you are male, avoid iron supplements and food "enhanced" with added iron and you should be fine. Probably also a good idea to lose some blood once in awhile.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Eagles' Wings

Meh, so many bull$#@! articles out there trying to condemn red meat it's easy to grab the wrong one.
    The claims that red meats like beef, lamb, and pork are unhealthy are myths with absolutely no basis in scientific studies or logical nutritional data. The reverse is actually true. Red meat with its natural fat is a very healthy food and heals the body of many diseases. These meats do not contain unnatural levels of hormones as stated by the numerous myths, distortions, and lies. Any hormone given to a steer is eliminated naturally by the animal's body well before slaughter. These meats do not contain unhealthy levels of pesticides. Any pesticide which may have been on the animal's food or sprayed on the animals to control pests is eliminated naturally by the animal before slaughter. Laws and meat inspections prevent the sale of red meat with any unhealthy level of hormones or pesticides.

I would not be surprised if the author of the OP is a schill for teh FDA or special interests
    I've read quite a bit of this guys writing, HB, and have relaxed a bit about organics in general over the years. He is concerned about gmo, though.
    Last edited by Eagles' Wings; 08-23-2013 at 08:13 PM.

On the nose.

Red meat, especially for Blood Type O's acts like a medicine to the body.
    There is no spoon.

An artist with Alzheimers over I believe seven years.

He forgot what he looks like?

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    He forgot what he looks like?
    Yes.

The paintings were over five years. Here's an article on it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/11752410/n...le-alzheimers/

Well , I eat alot of red meat, on the bright side I have been mentally training myself for at least 30 yrs or so about all the things I want to forget. Appears to be working so far , then just in case I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day or more for 33 yrs. You learn to take the good with the bad

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    If you are male, avoid iron supplements and food "enhanced" with added iron and you should be fine. Probably also a good idea to lose some blood once in awhile.
    If you don't lose some blood once in a while, you aren't much of a male. Hell, I can't get through a months worth of yardwork without losing a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    Dietary sources of iron aren't as much of a consequence as iron supplements or ingesting too much mineral iron from raw sources (e.g., unseasoned cookware). Incidentally, donating blood may temporarily lower iron counts, but it actually increases iron absorption since the body is trying to recover what was lost. Eventually, the body takes only the iron it needs and the uptake lowers.
    Then how do you explain that blood donors live longer?

It's probably the iron. There have been recent studies that support the idea that iron increases the risk of Alzheimer.

Have some coffee with your meats, or shortly after, to reduce iron absorption, and also throughout the day.

Wheat flour is "enriched" with iron, so if you still want to eat wheat, finding a non-enriched wheat flour might be better.

Dairy and fruit are low in iron, so it would help if they're a big part of your diet.
    Last edited by jj-; 08-24-2013 at 08:26 AM.

Also,, too much Oxygen will kill you. as will too little.

If you are worried about Alzheimer's,, smoke more pot.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1003981.html
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

yeah and was the red meat from grass-finished animals or pent-up cattle lot cows? Did the study differentiate between the two? I'd be willing to bet not. Details like this are integral to making bold statements like "Eating too much red meat could increase the risk of Alzheimer's."

Does game count?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast