Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody experienced at writing business plans for funding?

Anybody experienced at writing business plans for funding?

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of writing a business plan for the production of secure 'crack-proof' computer systems and networks. I have the knowledge and ability to produce computer systems that not even the NSA can crack. There is an emerging niche market for hyper-secure computer systems and I have the skills and ability to take advantage of that market.

I also know that the only kinds of investment that are really moving in today's markets are Venture Capital.

I am looking to take advantage of that emerging security market, but I need help.

I am in the process of writing a business plan -- I have never seriously written one before. I am writing the business plan in the hopes of raising up to $25,000 from half a dozen or so sources. It would help me a great deal to talk to someone who has experience with business plans for funding.

Is anybody familiar with winning venture capital investments?

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm also in a lot of trouble. I haven't heard back from Rand Paul, Walter Jones, or anybody. I've sent out 80+ job applications and haven't heard from a single one. FedEx delivered a package today, my final notice before foreclosure. If something doesn't shake loose soon, I'm going to be living under a bridge in a cardboard box. So this question is a matter of some urgency.

bump!!!
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    I wonder if you could get in touch with the RPF member that ran the $100,000 ad back in 2007. I can't remember his name and he hasn't posted in a long time that I have seen. I think he is from NH. He might very well be helpful.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    bump!!!
    Thanks man, I wouldn't even be in trouble except I pretty much gave up my life in 2007 to campaign for Ron Paul and promote liberty full time. In 2009 I got a small $15k inheritance when my grandmother died, and spent the whole thing to live on while campaigning for State House full time. I'm so worried right now I don't know what to do. I'm not proud, I'll mop floors and flip burgers, but nobody is responding to my job applications anywhere. I'm only in this pickle because I gave up everything to push for liberty, and now I need help. I'm not looking for charity, but either help with getting this venture funded, or help getting a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    I wonder if you could get in touch with the RPF member that ran the $100,000 ad back in 2007. I can't remember his name and he hasn't posted in a long time that I have seen. I think he is from NH. He might very well be helpful.
    Pretty sure he gave $1000 to my State House campaign in...September or October of 2010.

GUYS!!!!!!!

this is Glenn Bradley! please if anyone knows anyone give Glenn a hand.. this is the FIRST State Rep RPF ever elected.. this guy is the real deal and now he is in need..

this cannot go unanswered..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bump

I will admit I don't really know about getting funding. I have done some business plan writing, but never actually gone down that road of getting VC, etc.

My general advice would be to make the product first. Focus on doing and creating before you focus on raising money. That's going to be a better plan, every time. Everyone gets it backwards, and it doesn't work.

Honestly, no VC is going to be interested in funding a business which does not yet exist in any manifestation, especially run by someone who has not created valuable companies before. You have to make the company first, at least in miniature.

Now none of that will work for you, because you are in an urgent cash-crunch now! You don't have 6 months to build a prototype machine.

Because of that reality, I would shelf the computer-building company idea for now. It does not match with your current needs.

What does match with your current needs would be getting some kind of liquidity infusion, fast! For that, you could consider:

1) Personal loans from friends and family
    2) Car title loans
    3) Selling assets, like any gold, silver, or rifles you may own. I know, I know.

With that you can get enough to make a mortgage payment. In the meantime, you find a menial job. Sign up at temp agencies. If you have already done this locally and are having that much trouble, as it sounds like you are, then possibly your local economy is junk and you should expand your search. I'm thinking statewide McDonald's search, telling the temp agencies to look for things statewide, etc. Once you find a job that will be able to cover your mortgage payment, then you can breathe. Maybe sit down with a personal financial coach and have them help you figure out how to get things whipped into better shape.

No offense meant by any of this. I am sincerely trying to give you the best advice I can think of. Of course, it's quite possible it's worth as much as you paid for it! In which case, disregard.

Best of luck in any case!

I wish you the best of luck Glenn , hope you find a job so you have some income while you work on this.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    GoFundMe
    GoFundMe personal online fundraising websites are perfect for individuals, groups & organizations!
    http://www.gofundme.com/

Kickstarter
    Kickstarter is the world's largest funding platform for creative projects.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

I'm sorry to see that the applications you sent out haven't been productive, but I don't think attaching yourself to a lottery ticket like a startup is your best option. Is there anything you can do at all to secure some income? Not even a lot of money - minimum wage would help tremendously. I'd work on improving your personal finances first.

Investors don't like backing someone who hasn't invested a lot of their own money in an idea, especially if the founder has some personal financial issues.

Edit: Call your mortgage banker today. See if there's anything you can do to delay foreclosure, or to get some kind of payment system that works for both of you. (Unless you have negative equity, in which case, run for the hills!)
    Last edited by Jordan; 08-22-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I will admit I don't really know about getting funding. I have done some business plan writing, but never actually gone down that road of getting VC, etc.

My general advice would be to make the product first. Focus on doing and creating before you focus on raising money. That's going to be a better plan, every time. Everyone gets it backwards, and it doesn't work.

Honestly, no VC is going to be interested in funding a business which does not yet exist in any manifestation, especially run by someone who has not created valuable companies before. You have to make the company first, at least in miniature.

Now none of that will work for you, because you are in an urgent cash-crunch now! You don't have 6 months to build a prototype machine.

Because of that reality, I would shelf the computer-building company idea for now. It does not match with your current needs.

What does match with your current needs would be getting some kind of liquidity infusion, fast! For that, you could consider:

1) Personal loans from friends and family
    2) Car title loans
    3) Selling assets, like any gold, silver, or rifles you may own. I know, I know.

With that you can get enough to make a mortgage payment. In the meantime, you find a menial job. Sign up at temp agencies. If you have already done this locally and are having that much trouble, as it sounds like you are, then possibly your local economy is junk and you should expand your search. I'm thinking statewide McDonald's search, telling the temp agencies to look for things statewide, etc. Once you find a job that will be able to cover your mortgage payment, then you can breathe. Maybe sit down with a personal financial coach and have them help you figure out how to get things whipped into better shape.

No offense meant by any of this. I am sincerely trying to give you the best advice I can think of. Of course, it's quite possible it's worth as much as you paid for it! In which case, disregard.

Best of luck in any case!
    Yeah, my family has nothing, my car isn't worth enough to cover scrap, and I already sold everything I had of value to eat.

I am not bad with finances, I've been working full time for free as an activist since 2007, and my two years in the General Assembly only paid $20,300 a year. I wouldn't even have a mortgage except my mother and I mortgaged the house to pay off my dad's medical bills when he died of AIDS in 1991. It was a lot more expensive to die of AIDS in 1991 than it is today. I was just about to get back above water when the bottom fell out of housing in 2009, so now I have no equity in the house.

If I wasn't good at managing money, I would not have survived for six years with my only income being 2011 and 2012 at $20k.

I have no problem working menial labor. I'll flip burgers and mop floors in a heartbeat. My concern there is between mortgage, gas, maintenance, and food my break-even is going to be around $23k a year. I could lose internet telephone and miscellany, and drop that back to $21k. Without having to buy gas and vehicle maintenance to get back and forth to a job it's around $17k, drop electricity and it costs me $11.5k just to pay the mortgage note.

Without a savings buffer, which I expended during the last 6 years, a job that pays less than $21k is just going to end up driving the knife deeper. At that point without telephone and internet I don't know that I'd be able to climb back out of that hole.

Oh yeah, I didn't think of Kickstarter in connection with this.

Honestly, though, I don't think it would work. The idea is not unique and engaging enough, and there's no reason for funders to think that Gunny is extremely and uniquely skilled in this special area. Also, the Kickstarter funds would be specifically earmarked for creating the computers, not for paying Gunny's mortgage. To use them to pay the mortgage would be dishonest. And so the mortgage problem, which is the biggest problem, would remain unresolved.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    so now I have no equity in the house.
    None? You should probably just walk away from it, then. Let the bank have the house.

Sorry I'm not more help.

You never know: desperation can fuel people to do remarkable things. Focus and concentrate, and put all options on the table, and you could come up doing something amazing.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    None? You should probably just walk away from it, then. Let the bank have the house.

Sorry I'm not more help.

You never know: desperation can fuel people to do remarkable things. Focus and concentrate, and put all options on the table, and you could come up doing something amazing.
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. This is the family homestead. The only thing good my bastard of a father ever did in his life. Besides, I walk away from the house where am I going to go, under a bridge? What's the point in that?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. This is the family homestead. The only thing good my bastard of a father ever did in his life. Besides, I walk away from the house where am I going to go, under a bridge? What's the point in that?
    You can live in a car. It's not that bad.

Anyway, your best hope for funding the business is Kickstarter, so here's my first piece of advice then that's not throwing a wet blanket on the parade: to have a successful Kickstarter campaign, you need an awesome video. Writing a business plan doesn't even matter. It's all about the video.

I have certificate for writing and managing EU funds projects(budget, log-frame, problem tree, risk management etc.).

I am in Europe with different time zone and my English is far from perfect but if you are interested PM me and we will see if we can work something out. If you have questions feel free to ask. I will help if I can.

No matter who writes it you will need a list of activities, risks, expenses(and some other things , but that will come later) so you better start compiling it (it will save you time when you start writing your project).
    Last edited by Barrex; 08-22-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

You can live in a car. It's not that bad..
    There's a thread on that: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...h-Van-Dwelling

I understand Gunny's reluctance to abandon the family property. Living out of a car doesn't necessarily have to come once the property is lost. One can live out of the car to get to where the work is M-F and allow you to return to your property on weekends. You can do this until something local turns up. Just a thought.

Sorry, I don't know anything about writing business plans either, but I agree with others that finding a "regular" job might be the best short-term move.

Does somebody out there have any work for Gunny ??

Gunny, do you have a PayPal account where I can send you $20 so you at least don't have to worry about groceries for a day or two? It's not much, I know, but I hope it can help.

They say that there is all kinds of opportunity in North Dakota right now.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul
    “They are what they hate.” - B4L

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Gunny, do you have a PayPal account where I can send you $20 so you at least don't have to worry about groceries for a day or two? It's not much, I know, but I hope it can help.
    There's no shame in a money bomb for gunny. I'd donate.

I can't help with business schemes. I only know physical labor and usually we have a job available but right now our finances aren't good enough.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    One of these days ( maybe end of next month when I have time ) you will have to explain to me how to operate that $#@!.... I actually have one of those thingies and have it linked to a bank account , never put any money in it yet .....
    Last edited by oyarde; 08-23-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom;
    I'm in the process of writing a business plan for the production of secure 'crack-proof' computer systems and networks. I have the knowledge and ability to produce computer systems that not even the NSA can crack. There is an emerging niche market for hyper-secure computer systems and I have the skills and ability to take advantage of that market.

I also know that the only kinds of investment that are really moving in today's markets are Venture Capital.

I am looking to take advantage of that emerging security market, but I need help.

I am in the process of writing a business plan -- I have never seriously written one before. I am writing the business plan in the hopes of raising up to $25,000 from half a dozen or so sources. It would help me a great deal to talk to someone who has experience with business plans for funding.

Is anybody familiar with winning venture capital investments?

Thanks in advance!
    Venture capitalists take a share of the company in exchange for their investment. There's no reason I know of that you couldn't issue shares in a private placement right here on RPF. They might have to be non-transferable, or maybe there would have to be a neutral party for record keeping, but I think it could be done. And there might be considerably less pressure on you to create an airtight business plan.

Something the NSA couldn't crack will be worth an absolute fortune to a lot of people. Especially since the NSA is known to be building a supercomputer in Oak Ridge, Tennessee with the intent of using brute force on certain encryption algorithms like the Advanced Encryption Standard. I'm not a big tech guy, but the article I read said that it had been understood that trying to brute force a 256 bit AES encryption would "take longer than the age of the universe" just a few years ago. But the NSA reportedly made a big breakthrough in building their supercomputer. Details in the article were scarce, but I'm sure a lot of people are worried.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem."
    Ronald Reagan, 1981

I'd be glad to help and there is some software that can help walk you through the steps, I have experience in this. Send me a PM.

However what you're looking for isn't VC it's angel. A "real" VC isn't interested in something less than 1 Mil on the low side and more on others, and they really do want a few pounds of flesh. Also a real VC is gunshy unless you have a track record and wants a product or almost finished product. Angel on the other hand is a wealthy person who has a litlte money to toss around and may go out on a limb. Also an Angel often is a quick process and easier to live with terms. Now downside - some states and SEC have funny rules on asking people for money and what is determined as a "qualified investor".

Are there any business incubators in your area? I know a few major cities have them. Basically a place for you to work from, have access to others to network/promote synergies/etc. I know Philly has a group that if they like your idea gives you 30K, helps you with the project for a few months, and then at that time you stand in front of big name VC firms with a finished product. If I recall the Philly group does this over the summer so bad timing now but I read about one in Detroit starting and others have to be around.

As it's tech based there are places other than kickstarter - one is btc-otc and there are a few other bitcoin lending places. You may want to look at lending club or prosper for quick-ish loans.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

First things first: Making a business plan (project). Later he can decide how to get funds (kickstarter, shares etc.) and marketing his project idea. One step at the time. Dont fall in trap many people do. Start project without plan and just be all over the place.

Main task is to make a project in writing so you can present it. First step in achieving that is getting all relevant information: risks, resources needed, problem analysis (what problem your project is solving)...

When project is written, then you will have better idea how to approach potential donors. Social networks work great for small projects like this one (at least this is my experience with NGO projects that I had). There are few "tricks of trade" that you could use to attract capital from social networks ("every donor will get x amount of products if project earns y amount of money" or " when you pay and re-invest remaining profit will go toward charity"...and so on)... These things "sell" and convince people to donate... But first comes writing a project.
    Last edited by Barrex; 08-23-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Glenn,

I PM'd you back when you brought this up in S&T. Never heard back.

Jobs:
    I see you are 30 min out from Raleigh and probably a bit further for Durham, because of the roads.
    Consider consulting. I see Aerotek has an office in Raleigh and they have always been good to me. Try them.
    If you have previously held good level clearances, there are a handful of consulting firms that specialize in this type of work.
    As you are a former USG employee, you get priority for gubmint jobs. Have you tried this route?
    If you've sent 80 resume's out and gotten no bites, that indicates a problem. If you want to PM me a copy, I'd be happy to offer suggestions. I hope you send out an individually tailored cover letter with each. One of the best pieces of advice I've gotten here is to always use action words in describing your past jobs, never passive voice. You want to come off as a doer.
    OK, lets talk temp work:
    You have PC skills? print up a bunch of fliers and put um up within a travel range. In house PC repair, get rid of viruses, upgrades, etc.
    I've done my own business by approaching small businesses and offering a flyer delivery service. Design the ad, get it printed, hire a bunch of teens and get um delivered in the area the customer wants them - and btw, if you need a delivery driver... (though pizza delivery kills cars). Variation: find all the restaurants that do not offer delivery. Work out a deal where you develop and promote a web page with their menu and hopefully computerized ordering and do the deliveries yourself. When business picks up, hire others and remove yourself from driving. Second variation: You have schools in that area. One thing that is getting more popular is all night long food delivery to college students. Either find and partner with a 24 hour diner or a privately owned convenience store (less health dept hassles on per-packaged stuff). Advertizing in college papers/radio is cheap to free, also flyers around campus: "We open when everything else shuts down - and WE DELIVER!". Business is better around exam time.
    Periodic work:
    carnivals and fairs: These folks travel with a skeleton crew who know how to unpack the rides and hire locals to man the booths. Be there when they pull up and start unpacking (night before they open - usually). Ask to see the boss and tell them you are interested in a little temp work. Should be good for 2-7 days and probably under the counter.
    Convention centers: They are generally in hotels. They generally do not advertize and are often hiring. Just walk down to that part of the building and ask to see the boss. Tell them you are interesting in a catering job. That means setting up chairs and tables, laying out glasses, plates, napkins, silverware, etc. and serving people or making sure the buffet trays were always full. You get called in once or twice a week. Generally once. Tips are good, esp if you are handling alcohol.
    Pass a hot dog stand? Inquire if they are hiring. They don't advertize.
    What about sporting events? Those guys working the isles yelling "hot dog, hot dog, ice cold beer" make out well for a days worth of work a week.
    You should have a couple of soft drink distribution companies in the area. They have periodic sales. Cold call them and ask if they are looking for temp workers for there next promotion. It's usually good for 1-1.5 weeks and pays well. It's really physical, but you will feel sooo good afterwords! This involves going from grocery store to grocery store stacking displays of soda.
    School starts in 5-6 weeks. Contact the schools about rush week. Bookstore is usually a good bet. Contact them in ADVANCE!
    Christmas: both UPS and FEDEX hire temp workers for the holidays. Heavy work, I believe they pay around $28 an hour, and they keep the best workers on permanently. Should be worth 1-1.5 months of employment.

OK, lets talk housing:
    Do you live with anyone?
    How many bedrooms is your home capable of supporting?
    Do you have a part of the house, like a basement, that has an individual entrance?
    What about a guest house, or a large shed (we bought a 10x10 and put 2 4x10 lofts in it with a ladder in between for a bit under 200 sq feet for 1K... I've lived in more confined quarters..)

Basically what I'm saying is that you need to get someone else paying for your mortgage and then some. Looks like you are into it about 1K+ a month. We are talking about ROOMMATES! Or at least someone else living in your house with you living in a separate part of it or in a nearby building... You could make an arrangement where you have access to common spaces like kitchen, shower, etc., but give them central occupancy to the main house. They will want electricity, Internet and cable. You are 30 mins out from Raleigh, but only about 15 out from Wake Forrest (which I believe is home to a major private uni). In the former case, you will have to offer a discount - maybe $100-$150 under the going rate, and in the latter - charging full going rate would be reasonable. Though charging under, slightly, will give you your pick of tenants. Keep in mind transportation costs. Ask if the school has a deal with bus companies that will get them "home" and for how much for a monthly pass. Otherwise you hit the last mile problem and their needing a car will reduce the tenant population. Though landing one with a car means car pooling.... It's a price point thing. And your place thing. How nice is it?

Stay away from freshman!!!! Been there, done that - JUST DON'T! Grad students are good. You never see them, they pay their bills. Just GOOD!

Hope that helps,

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 08-23-2013 at 04:37 AM.

I might suggest talking to John Ramsey about your plight and see if there is anything he can do. I noticed you aren't friends with him yet.

https://www.facebook.com/john.ramsey.5059

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast