Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Barry Goldwater Considered a Libertarian?

Why is Barry Goldwater Considered a Libertarian?

This is something that really pisses me off. Barry Goldwater is often referred to as a Libertarian Republican and freedom-minded philosophically. I don't understand why anyone would consider him such, He seems to me like the father of the NeoCon movement.

He advocated for nuclear weapons to be used as conventional weapons, suggesting that they be used in Vietnam to defoliate trees (saying this while 'Nam was still under French occupation). I would prefer Lyndon Johnson, or even George W. Bush than this guy. If he had won I believe that a nuclear WWIII would have taken place.

(John McCain adored him btw).

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I think it is time to be properly educated on the great man known as Barry Goldwater. Barry Goldwater a neoconservative? I thought I heard it all:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution, or that have failed their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden. I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is "needed" before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible. And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents' "interests," I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can.
    The Conscience of a Conservative (1960), ghostwritten by L. Brent Bozell, p. 15
    I told Johnson and old colleagues on Capitol Hill that we had two clear choices. Either win the [Vietnam] war in a relatively short time, say within a year, or pull out all our troops and come home.

Barry M. Goldwater with Jack Casserly, Goldwater (Doubleday, 1988), p. 222
    Vietnam is about halfway around the world from Washington. It's as large as the major European nations, with nearly 130,000 square miles... Its ancient recorded history goes back to 111 B.C... We entered (that country) with considerable ignorance.

Barry M. Goldwater with Jack Casserly, Goldwater (Doubleday, 1988)
    Most Americans have no real understanding of the operations of the international moneylenders... the accounts of the Federal Reserve have never been audited. It operates outside the control of Congress and... manipulates the credit of the United States

With No Apologies (1979)
    Goldwater, Mr. Neocon as you mischaracterized him as, despised AIPAC:

http://mondoweiss.net/2010/10/goldwa...oot-of-it.html

+rep

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I think it is time to be properly educated on the great man known as Barry Goldwater. Barry Goldwater a neoconservative? I thought I heard it all:

John Adams:

There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.

Thomas Jefferson:

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.

www.FarmFreshRawFoods.com Support our small business. We accept Gold & Silver!
    We also donate 5% of our annual profits to a local charity not named Uncle Sam.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AuH20 again."

- ML

Some time this upcoming week, I'll go into great detail why Goldwater is considered a libertarian Republican and why he is NOT a neo-con.

I just don't have the time right now.

- ML

Goldwater wasn't a libertarian. He was fiscally libertarian, though. In other words, he wanted a decent amount of economic freedom.

Perhaps by the standards of his day he was considered a libertarian.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 08-16-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

He supported the Vietnam War, seems pretty un-Libertarian to me.

And I support, before anyone gets the wrong idea, as does my party, as do all Americans, the President's firm action in response. But I must point out that it was just that, I must point out that it was just that a response--an incident not a program or a new policy; a tactical reaction, not a new winning strategy.

Yes, all of us support the President in this strong, right action. No, we will not let this one action obscure a multitude of other needed actions.

Before They Hated Ron Paul, They Hated Barry Goldwater
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...arry-Goldwater
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    We had an assistance pact with South Vietnam that was tested years before the manufactured Gulf of Tonkin Resolution. The main problem with the Vietnam War was that it went on aimlessly for 20 years after previous bungling by the state departments in the Eisenhower and Kennedy Administrations. It should been 8-12 months and out. But the MIC and the global community never wants brief resolutions to conflicts.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-16-2013 at 04:52 PM.

He supported what the Vietnam war should have been, not what it was. Goldwater wanted to use overwhelming force, win the war and get our troops out. Not the limited engagement rules that doomed the war to failure. Big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    He supported what the Vietnam war should have been, not what it was. Goldwater wanted to use overwhelming force, win the war and get our troops out. Not the limited engagement rules that doomed the war to failure. Big difference.
    He told LJB point blank to be prepared to win it in 1 year or don't get involved. Obviously, that advice was dismissed.

No. Goldwater supported either winning the war or Withdrawn. Goldwater didn't support the war itself.

Goldwater attacks Johnson's Vietnam policy
    Sept. 22, 1964:

Presidential candidate Barry Goldwater, Republican senator from Arizona, charges that President Lyndon Johnson lied to the American people and that he is committing the United States to war "recklessly." Having previously called the war "McNamara's War," he now described it as "Johnson's War."

Goldwater said that the United States should do whatever it took to support U.S. troops in the war and that if the administration was not prepared to "take the war to North Vietnam," it should withdraw.
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Don't be mistaken, Goldwater was an interventionist.

The main problem with the Vietnam War was that it went on aimlessly for 20 years after previous bungling by the state departments in the Eisenhower and Kennedy Administrations. It should been 8-12 months and out.
    Yeah... no.

That was NOT the "main problem" with the "Vietnam War".

The main problem with the "Vietnam War" was that, you know, there were American troops involved... at all.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    No. Goldwater supported either winning the war or Withdrawn. Goldwater didn't support the war itself.

Goldwater attacks Johnson's Vietnam policy
    Sept. 22, 1964:

Presidential candidate Barry Goldwater, Republican senator from Arizona, charges that President Lyndon Johnson lied to the American people and that he is committing the United States to war "recklessly." Having previously called the war "McNamara's War," he now described it as "Johnson's War."

Goldwater said that the United States should do whatever it took to support U.S. troops in the war and that if the administration was not prepared to "take the war to North Vietnam," it should withdraw.
    Quite a bit different from the man who said, "WE MARCHED RIGHT IN... WE CAN MARCH RIGHT OUT!"

He told LJB point blank to be prepared to win it in 1 year or don't get involved. Obviously, that advice was dismissed.
    Ron Paul would never have gotten involved.

Anyway, I'd rather have a drawn-out war than one where our commander-in-chief supports using tactical nukes as "conventional weapons."

Had I lived in 1964 I would have either voted Johnson or cast a blank ballot. (interestingly enough, my county* voted for Johnson in 1964, the last time they voted for a Democrat).

*My county is in Thomas Massie's district, so they supported Liberty when it manifested itself in it's true form.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    He supported what the Vietnam war should have been, not what it was.
    What it "should have been" was NOTHING AT ALL. And that is NOT what Goldwater supported.

Bunch of MIN-terventionists around here anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    What it "should have been" was NOTHING AT ALL. And that is NOT what Goldwater supported.

Bunch of MIN-terventionists around here anymore...
    Beware of those trying to twist libertarianism into something it's not. Their goal is to co-opt the Ron Paul movement. They have been quite critical of Dr Paul's ideas.

Yeah... no.

That was NOT the "main problem" with the "Vietnam War".

The main problem with the "Vietnam War" was that, you know, there were American troops involved... at all.
    It's called an assistance pact. It's simple to understand. South Vietnam gets attacked and the U.S. is OBLIGATED to Assist. And this subversion from the North happened well before Gulf of Tonkin which was the cherry on top. In 1956, Ho Chi Minh called for a reunification of both South and North Vietnam and the Viet Cong was born. A series of skirmishes and corresponding propaganda campaign preceded the Gulf of Tonkin incident by 8 years. Just come out and say you don't like entangling alliances. That would be fine. But don't say the U.S. had no rightful claim to assist the republic of South Vietnam. Per their treaty they were well within their right.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-16-2013 at 05:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    Beware of those trying to twist libertarianism into something it's not. Their goal is to co-opt the Ron Paul movement. They have been quite critical of Dr Paul's ideas.
    :thumbs:

Some apparently need to familiarize themselves with the non-aggression principle.

----

It's called an assistance pact. It's simple to understand. South Vietnam gets attacked and the U.S. is OBLIGATED to Assist. And this subversion from the North happened well before Gulf of Tonkin which was the cherry on top. In 1956, Ho Chi Minh called for a reunification of both South and North Vietnam and the Viet Cong was born. A series of skirmishes and corresponding propaganda campaign preceded the Gulf of Tonkin incident by 8 years. Just come out and say you don't like entangling alliances. That would be fine. But don't say the U.S. had no rightful claim to assist the republic of South Vietnam. Per their treaty they were well within their right.
    Yeah, it's not like I'm hiding the fact that I find entangling alliances reprehensible. Sons and daughters are not subject to the slaughter because some politician signed a piece of paper that had the words, "assistance pact" at the top of it... sorry to burst your bubble.

There is no "U.S."... but even if there were, the politicians who "run" it were in violation of the rights of the people the sent to do their killing, as well as the people whom they killed.

Every single one of them should be tried by a jury and if justice be served found guilty and executed for their GROSS violations of human rights.

So? And Rand endorsed Romney...what does Goldwater's son's endorsement prove?

:thumbs:

Some apparently need to familiarize themselves with the non-aggression principle.
    Yup. The Viet Cong needed a lesson in the NAP. Frankly, Eisenhower was an idiot to continue on the path laid down by the French and alienate Ho Chi Minh. The second catastrophic mistake was Kennedy installing Catholic tyrant Ngo Dinh Diem as the president of South Vietnam.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-16-2013 at 05:36 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Yeah, it's not like I'm hiding the fact that I find entangling alliances reprehensible. Sons and daughters are not subject to the slaughter because some politician signed a piece of paper that had the words, "assistance pact" at the top of it... sorry to burst your bubble.

There is no "U.S."... but even if there were, the politicians who "run" it were in violation of the rights of the people the sent to do their killing, as well as the people whom they killed.

Every single one of them should be tried by a jury and if justice be served found guilty and executed for their GROSS violations of human rights.
    I agree with you. No entangling alliances since it's fraught with peril. But if you have a pact of assistance already signed, you can't simply abandon it at the last second.
    Last edited by AuH20; 08-16-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Yup. The Viet Cong needed a lesson in the NAP. Frankly, Eisenhower was an idiot to back the French and alienate Ho Chi Minh. The second catastrophic mistake was Kennedy installing Diem as president.
    Half a planet away. Why do you or I know ANYTHING at all about the history of Vietnam?

Barry Goldwater was atrocious concerning Foreign Policy, but pretty good domestically. You have to go back to Robert Taft though for the last time a libertarian was close to the WH. As bad as Taft was drifting by the early 50s, he was still better than Goldwater, and MUCH better than that crony Eisenhower who ended up barely beating him in the Primary.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Quote Originally Posted by cajuncocoa View Post
    So? And Rand endorsed Romney...what does Goldwater's son's endorsement prove?
    Watch the first video before making stupid comments.
    ----

I agree with you. No entangling alliances. But if you a pact of assistance already signed, you can't simply abandon it at the last second.
    Had I been president, I would have ignored this so called "assistance pact" in a heartbeat. If you think I would have sacrificed millions of human lives over the formality of a signed piece of paper, you're insane. In short, sir, yes you absolutely can abandon war at the last second.

Yup. The Viet Cong needed a lesson in the NAP. Frankly, Eisenhower was an idiot to continue on path laid down by the French and alienate Ho Chi Minh. The second catastrophic mistake was Kennedy installing Diem as president of South Vietnam.
    The first mistake was Eisenhower beating Taft. We would have never have gotten involved in that hellhole or a bunch of other foreign interventions had he won.
    School of Salamanca - School of Austrian Economics - Liberty, Private Property, Free-Markets, Voluntaryist, Agorist. le monde va de lui même

"No man hath power over my rights and liberties, and I over no mans [sic]."

What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty.

www.mises.org
    www.antiwar.com
    An Arrow Against all Tyrants - Richard Overton vis. 1646 (Required reading!)

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast