Thread: Another pork spending question

Another pork spending question

Texas congressman and Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul — who is campaigning as a critic of congressional overspending — has revealed that he is requesting $400 million worth of earmarks this year.

The Wall Street Journal reports Paul's office says those requests include $8 million for the marketing of wild American shrimp and $2.3 million to pay for research into shrimp fishing.

A spokesman says, "Reducing earmarks does not reduce government spending, and it does not prohibit spending upon those things that are earmarked. What people who push earmark reform are doing is they are particularly misleading the public — and I have to presume it's not by accident."

Hypocrite!!! He speaks out against spending, chastises his Senate colleagues for earmarks, and then makes them himself.

The Ron Paul revolution is a farce. He is just a politician. I really wanted to like him, but examination of his record reveals he is full of it…

If Ron Paul believed in what he says he already would have called an Article V convention.

I'm trying to get people interested in Ron Paul and have been facing an argument about pork spending for some time. Also, I'm not fully sure what this guy means when asks about an Article V convention.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Article V of the U.S. Constitution provides the methods by which the Constitution may be amended:

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress
    As for the "earmarks" crap that keeps getting brought up, I don't know how many times that it can be refuted (including within your post, via his spokesman). It is also worth noting that RP votes against the earmarks, and he only passes along the earmarks at the request of his constituents.

The guy's clear desire to substantially alter the Constitution via an Article V convention -- in which the entire Constitution could be completely gutted (especially the 2nd Amendment) and federal authority further strengthened -- indicates that he would NEVER be a Ron Paul supporter; don't waste your time with the idiot.

These are points I made to him. Thanks for reinforcing the confidence I have in my arguments.