Thread: Best online broker for foreign stocks?

Best online broker for foreign stocks?

I've been browsing different online brokerages that won't have crazy fees for dealing with foreign stocks. I wanted to use tradeking, but it seems they charge 75 dollars to trade on certain foreign stocks. Any recommendations? The lower the fees the better.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you are looking for a Foreign stock fund , instead of individual stocks, I will say this, I never do, ever , check history of performance , because lots of them are just forever losers , then , think stability of currency/govt , then , just go buy some beer , recycle the cans If you are interested in individual stocks , I can help you with the notes I have,maybe. Funds , I cannot help .

If I ever sober up , pm me, I can send you the email for the most honest broker I know.

Just remember that foreign stocks also carry currency risk. A change in the value of the dollar will change the value of your holdings as easily as changes in the share price itself. You will be increasing risk and volitility. Or you could buy shares in domestic companies with large global exposure. http://stocks.about.com/od/investing...tock101104.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Just remember that foreign stocks also carry currency risk. A change in the value of the dollar will change the value of your holdings as easily as changes in the share price itself. You will be increasing risk and volitility. Or you could buy shares in domestic companies with large global exposure. http://stocks.about.com/od/investing...tock101104.htm
    Currency risk is right.

I understand the currency risk, yet the dollar is pretty risky itself these days is it not? Especially if the fed keep up with QE.

My sweet lord. I just found about taxes for short term and long term capital gains. You have to actually hold a stock for a year to get the long term tax rates? This country sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by westkyle View Post
    I understand the currency risk, yet the dollar is pretty risky itself these days is it not? Especially if the fed keep up with QE.
    I consider any currency not backed by something risky .

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My sweet lord. I just found about taxes for short term and long term capital gains. You have to actually hold a stock for a year to get the long term tax rates? This country sucks.
    Say what, nonsensical tax code you say? Sorry I can't hear you over all this freedom I'm experiencing.

You really don't want to be frequently trading stocks anyways. Each trade adds to your costs and lowers your returns. Shorter term also increases the risk of losing money if you try to time things and get it wrong. Stocks should be for longer term investments.

You really don't want to be frequently trading stocks anyways. Each trade adds to your costs and lowers your returns. Shorter term also increases the risk of losing money if you try to time things and get it wrong. Stocks should be for longer term investments.
    I agree with that . I also think it is the only way to cut risk .

Yeah, but it doesn't make sense for the government to tax you more if you want to sell your stuff during a certain time frame. I guess I was thinking I could buy low and get some crazy gains and sell with-in the year. Maybe with some dollar or penny stocks I could get lucky with.

Yeah, but it doesn't make sense for the government to tax you more if you want to sell your stuff during a certain time frame. I guess I was thinking I could buy low and get some crazy gains and sell with-in the year. Maybe with some dollar or penny stocks I could get lucky with.
    Luck is what you need to make money with penny stocks. There is a reason they are priced so cheap.

If there was an easy, sure-fire way to make lots of money quickly, the big boys (dealers) would be all over it.

If you do decide to play- be sure it is money you can afford to lose. Money you won't be needing in the next several years. First thing you need if you don't already is an emergency fund- enough money in a liquid asset like a boring bank account which will let you pay your bills for the next year should you find yourself without a job for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-17-2013 at 06:48 PM.