Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oliver Stone Calls Snowden A Hero

Oliver Stone Calls Snowden A Hero

“The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Side Note: Oliver Stone Still a Stalin Apologist

Oliver Stone’s Party Line
    Relitigating the Cold War and defending the honor of poor old Joe Stalin

National Review
    November 15, 2012

Stone argues, as Radosh puts it, that “the Soviet Union’s leader in the 1930s and ’40s, Joseph Stalin, has ‘been vilified pretty thoroughly by history,’ so what is needed is a program allowing viewers to walk in both his and Hitler’s shoes ‘to understand their point of view.’”

Stone also alleges that “after World War II the United States moved ‘to the dark side,’ so that by the time the country was engaged in the Vietnam war, ‘We were not on the wrong side. We were the wrong side.’”
    Stone’s réchauffé Cold War revisionism, Radosh writes, “consistently portrays the Soviet Union as the victim of American imperialism, while regarding the monster Stalin as a peaceful leader who sought only to gain valid security guarantees on his borders.”

Coincidentally, this exercise in propaganda is hitting the small screens just as Anne Applebaum’s Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944–1956, is appearing in bookstores. Following up on her 2003 Pulitzer Prize–winning volume on the Soviet prison system, Gulag: A History, Applebaum draws on recently opened archives and interviews with survivors of Communist oppression. She “eloquently illuminates the methods by which Stalin’s state imprisoned half the European continent,” as historian Jennifer Siegel phrases it in one of many favorable reviews.

When Oliver Stone says "We were the wrong side" he means we were the anti-Communists.
    Last edited by FrankRep; 08-13-2013 at 07:18 AM.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Filmmaker Oliver Stone would vote for Ron Paul over Obama

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...resident-obama
    Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Filmmaker Oliver Stone would vote for Ron Paul over Obama
    http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...resident-obama
    Oliver Stone Voted for Obama. Donated to him.

Stone was a vocal supporter of the president in 2008, and wrote an editorial in the Guardian saying that Obama could be the “heir to John F. Kennedy.”

According to Federal Election Commission records, in 2008 Stone donated $2,300 directly to the Obama campaign and another $2,300 to the Obama Victory Fund, which raises money for Obama’s re-election as well as for the Democratic National Committee.
    Last edited by FrankRep; 08-13-2013 at 07:38 AM.
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    Oliver Stone Voted for Obama. Donated to him.

Stone was a vocal supporter of the president in 2008, and wrote an editorial in the Guardian saying that Obama could be the “heir to John F. Kennedy.”

According to Federal Election Commission records, in 2008 Stone donated $2,300 directly to the Obama campaign and another $2,300 to the Obama Victory Fund, which raises money for Obama’s re-election as well as for the Democratic National Committee.
    He clearly states he'd vote for Dr. Paul in 2012. But....Dr. Paul didn't win the nomination...

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

He clearly states he'd vote for Dr. Paul in 2012. But....Dr. Paul didn't win the nomination...

Why did Oliver Stone support Obama in 2008? Obama campaigned as a big government guy and Oliver Stone jumped on board.
    ----

Why did Oliver Stone support Obama in 2008? Obama campaigned as a big government guy and Oliver Stone jumped on board.
    Well, according to the article he has become concerned about gov't spending. He is probably a liberal who, up until discovering Ron, always voted party-line. He said this about Ron:

"Because he’s the only one of anybody who’s saying anything intelligent about the future of the world.”

I know, FrankRep, we sure don't want anyone who, in our view, is an enemy of liberty to change their mind or come to the side of liberty. /sarc
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Frank is ready for when JBS labels Snowden a traitor. They probably will because.......Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    I know, FrankRep, we sure don't want anyone who, in our view, is an enemy of liberty to change their mind or come to the side of liberty. /sarc
    Oliver Stone viewed Ron Paul as a lesser of two evils.

I'll be curious if Stone supports Hillary Clinton in 2016.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Frank is ready for when JBS labels Snowden a traitor. They probably will because.......Russia.
    The JBS is anti-NSA Spying and undecided about the true motivations of Snowden.
    ----

People are not happy with Obama even though they voted for him in 2008. Let's see if they are smart enough to make a wise decision next time.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    People are not happy with Obama even though they voted for him in 2008. Let's see if they are smart enough to make a wise decision next time.
    Hillary Clinton will satisfy the disappointed Obama supporters.
    ----

The JBS is anti-NSA Spying and undecided about the true motivations of Snowden.
    Frank -- This is important.

If the JBS ever takes an anti-Snowden position I promise you and all JBS that I will toss JBS aside like used up whore. WHY? Because regardless of what Snowdens motives were(I don't care how bad/selfish - but I don't believe they were) the information that he gave to the liberty community does not have a price on it. Its invaluable. How so? I can now walk up to my government loving liberal neighbor, the conservative republican that runs the bar down the road, or the cashier that works at the nearest convenient store and start up a conversation about how the government is watching us. ------ALL without being stared at like I was a 3-eyed hippopotamus.

You can tell the JBS to kiss my ass just for wavering on the issue. --- As you say they are.

Rant off.

TMike
    Last edited by TruckinMike; 08-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TruckinMike View Post

If the JBS ever takes an anti-Snowden position I promise you and all JBS that I will toss JBS aside like used up whore. WHY? Because regardless of what Snowdens motives were(I don't care how bad/selfish - but I don't believe they were) the information that he gave to the liberty community does not have a price on it. Its invaluable. How so? I can now walk up to my government loving liberal neighbor, the conservative republican that runs the bar down the road, or the cashier that works at the nearest convenient store and start up a conversation about how the government is watching us. ------ALL without being stared at like I was a 3-eyed hippopotamus.

You can tell the JBS to kiss my ass just for wavering on the issue. --- As you say they are.

Rant off.

TMike
    That attack was uncalled for.
    ----

That wasn't an attack. It was a rant, an emotional outburst of frustration. Not directed at you but to the JBS for not making a similar statement concerning Snowden and his motives. I haven't been following the JBS position on snowden. I'm only going off of your statement. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit but none the less Snowden's release of information must be viewed as nothing less than patriotic(or at least the information itself) -- The JBS can protect their image by stating the obvious --> the information that was released helped with protecting, defending, and preserving the Constitution. Period. Motives are moot. Snowden, on a personal level, is an entirely different subject and they can frame it that way in future articles.

I would suggest that they start today.

edit:spelling
    Last edited by TruckinMike; 08-13-2013 at 12:00 PM.
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What attack? You need to grow a set.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

That wasn't an attack. It was a rant, an emotional outburst of frustration. Not directed at you but to the JBS for not making a similar statement concerning Snowden and his motives. I haven't been following the JBS position on snowden. I'm only going off of your statement. Maybe I jumped the gun a bit but none the less Snowden's release of information must be viewed as nothing less than patriotic(or at least the information itself) -- The JBS can protect their image by stating the obvious --> the information that was released helped with protecting, defending, and preserving the Constitution. Period. Motives are mute. Snowden, on a personal level, is an entirely different subject and they can frame it that way in future articles.

I would suggest that they start today.
    The JBS hasn't attacked Snowden and has only written positive articles about him and the information he has presented.

Again I say your attack on the JBS is uncalled for.
    Last edited by FrankRep; 08-13-2013 at 11:59 AM.
    ----

The 2008 version of Obama was a lot closer to Ron Paul's views then John McCain. I should know, I believed him. By the time 2012 came around, I knew better. Hopefully most people around here aren't like you and hold 1 bad vote against me no matter how my views have changed since then.

I'm sure you would have preferred McCain as president though right? Go R's!!!

Quote Originally Posted by twomp View Post
    The 2008 version of Obama was a lot closer to Ron Paul's views then John McCain. I should know, I believed him. By the time 2012 came around, I knew better. Hopefully most people around here aren't like you and hold 1 bad vote against me no matter how my views have changed since then.

I'm sure you would have preferred McCain as president though right? Go R's!!!
    Obama's views were nothing like Ron Paul's views. That's an insult to Ron Paul.
    ----

Obama's views were nothing like Ron Paul's views. That's an insult to Ron Paul.
    Depends on your definition of "views"

Obama claimed to hold the view that our foreign policy was out of control (occasionally admitting we needed to fight in Afghanistan, but rarely), he claimed he was for government transparency and against the civil rights violations of The Patriot Act and such.

I had to walk around with a piece of paper showing how he actually VOTED on all of those issues to Obama supporters to show them that he didn't really hold the beliefs he espoused during the campaign. They were either surprised or thought that he was just playing politics with the votes so he could get elected, and then he would make REAL "change".

As far as actions, Obama has done nothing or almost nothing that Ron Paul would ever do, but he did talk a similar game in some respects in 2008 if you bought the lies.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Oliver Stone viewed Ron Paul as a lesser of two evils.
    Where did you read that?

Where did you read that?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Stone

Stone was quoted as saying at the time: "I voted for Obama because...I think he's an intelligent individual I think he responds to difficulties well...very bright guy...far better choice yes." In 2012, Stone endorsed Ron Paul for the Republican nomination for President. He said that Paul is "the only one of anybody who's saying anything intelligent about the future of the world." then later: "I supported Ron Paul in the Republican primary ... but his domestic policy...made no SENSE"
    Last edited by FrankRep; 08-13-2013 at 04:13 PM.
    ----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Stone

Stone was quoted as saying at the time: "I voted for Obama because...I think he's an intelligent individual I think he responds to difficulties well...very bright guy...far better choice yes." In 2012, Stone endorsed Ron Paul for the Republican nomination for President. He said that Paul is "the only one of anybody who's saying anything intelligent about the future of the world." then later: "I supported Ron Paul in the Republican primary ... but his domestic policy...made no SENSE"
    meh...that doesn't strike me as Stone thinking he's "the lesser of two evils". It doesn't even imply that, to me.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I gotta say, I really like this part of your rant - a lot.

Because regardless of what Snowdens motives were(I don't care how bad/selfish - but I don't believe they were) the information that he gave to the liberty community does not have a price on it. Its invaluable. How so? I can now walk up to my government loving liberal neighbor, the conservative republican that runs the bar down the road, or the cashier that works at the nearest convenient store and start up a conversation about how the government is watching us. ------ALL without being stared at like I was a 3-eyed hippopotamus.

TMike

meh...that doesn't strike me as Stone thinking he's "the lesser of two evils". It doesn't even imply that, to me.
    Calling someone's domestic policy nonsense is a pretty big deal. This is a lesser evil situation because Stone liked Ron Paul's foreign policy, but rejected Ron Paul's non-Socialist domestic policy.
    ----

I gotta say, I really like this part of your rant - a lot.
    TruckinMike is ranting at himself because the JBS hasn't attacked Showden, in fact, they've published several articles about Snowden's information.
    ----

Side Note: Oliver Stone Still a Stalin Apologist

Oliver Stone’s Party Line
    Relitigating the Cold War and defending the honor of poor old Joe Stalin

National Review
    November 15, 2012

Stone argues, as Radosh puts it, that “the Soviet Union’s leader in the 1930s and ’40s, Joseph Stalin, has ‘been vilified pretty thoroughly by history,’ so what is needed is a program allowing viewers to walk in both his and Hitler’s shoes ‘to understand their point of view.’”

Stone also alleges that “after World War II the United States moved ‘to the dark side,’ so that by the time the country was engaged in the Vietnam war, ‘We were not on the wrong side. We were the wrong side.’”
    Stone’s réchauffé Cold War revisionism, Radosh writes, “consistently portrays the Soviet Union as the victim of American imperialism, while regarding the monster Stalin as a peaceful leader who sought only to gain valid security guarantees on his borders.”

Coincidentally, this exercise in propaganda is hitting the small screens just as Anne Applebaum’s Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe, 1944–1956, is appearing in bookstores. Following up on her 2003 Pulitzer Prize–winning volume on the Soviet prison system, Gulag: A History, Applebaum draws on recently opened archives and interviews with survivors of Communist oppression. She “eloquently illuminates the methods by which Stalin’s state imprisoned half the European continent,” as historian Jennifer Siegel phrases it in one of many favorable reviews.

When Oliver Stone says "We were the wrong side" he means we were the anti-Communists.
    I read the link...like any other piece of propaganda, there's a mix of truth and BS there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

TruckinMike is ranting at himself because the JBS hasn't attacked Showden, in fact, they've published several articles about Snowden's information.
    I omitted his beef about the JBS, if you'll notice. But, his reasoning about Snowden is brilliant, in my flea bitten opinion.

Calling someone's domestic policy nonsense is a pretty big deal. This is a lesser evil situation because Stone liked Ron Paul's foreign policy, but rejected Ron Paul's non-Socialist domestic policy.
    Those are your conclusions, not necessarily his. A lot people 'transition' slowly. Anyone who finds even one thing about Ron or Rand that they like, deserve our attention, I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast