Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ron Paul Channel Monthly Fee...

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Well, maybe things will be different now that he is no longer on Congress, but I predate the internet. I knew who Ron Paul was before he ran in 2008 because he wrote op eds that appeared in the newspaper sometimes.

I'd like to see him do that again. Heck, maybe even write a weekly column...
    Or he could publish newsletters!!

oh wait..
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Priceless! Now you're not only deciding how I should value my money, but also my time? Anything else you feel qualified to run in my life?

So you must be rich. That would explain the snobbish condescension. How nice for you. But that still doesn't give you the right to decide that $10 is not a significant amount. Again, if it isn't significant, I'm sure you won't mind buying me a subscription.

And also let's not forget you said that if we loved Ron Paul, we'd give him our money. Do you give money to all the people that you love? I love my Mom, but she doesn't charge me $10 to listen to her. My kids love me but I'm pretty sure they're not going to pay to hear my lectures. I'd be rich if they would.
    Give me a break. I never said everyone has to. I said should if you're a loyal supporter, like a Ron Paul fan club. That's kind of what the channel is about, I highly doubt anyone that doesn't like Ron Paul is going to sit through a 40 minute show in the first place. No, I won't buy you a subscription because you're a stranger, and a rude one at that. I'm not rich, you don't have to be rich to think $10 is a trivial amount of money. Don't buy it if you don't want to. Comment on things you have no interest in. I don't care. It's not that important really.

xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 04-29-2016 at 06:14 PM.

if they will allow pre-paid membership,i will be giving away some to people.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    This +rep

Sums up the whole thing in one sentence. Those interested in learning something new and joining the movement won't pay to put a foot in the door. This is a mistake.
    It's not just that. I've been a fan of his since before some of us were born. But if he's not running for office, then that's that. Justin Amash needs my $10 a month a lot more than Ron Paul do

It always amazes me how Ron seems to do the wrong thing at the right time. After 2008 we wanted him to crank up Liberty PAC to support like-minded candidates. Instead, he started C4L which can't endorse candidates .

Quote Originally Posted by QueenB4Liberty View Post
    no one said you have to buy it. You don't want to pay for it? Your loss. Just don't watch the youtube for free and then get pissed when someone calls you a free loader.
    As someone who pays A LOT in taxes, the freeloaders are the ones who use government resources to enforce IP laws. IMO.

lol even my friends who barely make any money don't feel like $10 is a lot of money, but whatever. If you don't watch it and have no interest, why bother engaging in the discussion? It would just seem to me to be a huge waste of time, but again that's just my observation.
    You're joking, right?! You ask people who are having trouble make ends meet if "$10 is a lot of money"? If by chance they think, "no it's not a lot of money", then I have an inkling as to why they "barely [have] any money". Greed is good, if you want my $10... earn it!

I'm not rich, you don't have to be rich to think $10 is a trivial amount of money.
    It is more like $3000. That might be cost the cost to have an on-going, after-tax $10/month revenue stream (that increases with inflation). Support 10 ideas like this, and your networth can be expected to drop - over time - by a large amount. Not only will you have less money, but your monthly expenses will be larger and your income smaller. Anyway, the argument that it is a small amount of money is the tactic statists use to nickle and dime us.

That said, I won't watch the videos because I'm on board. If youtube let's me spread the word - great - it won't make me a freeloader but someone advertising their business venture without being compensated.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    xxxxx
    Last edited by Voluntarist; 04-29-2016 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLouAlbano View Post
    He should. It is his property.
    I understand you have probably reached a private arrangement with his estate, but roughly speaking how much do you pay a year for your use of Captain Lou Albano's name?

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    You think this project was set up by the independent wealthy? C'mon, this whole operation cost money!
    Im sure it does. I dont have a job so I have no money to support the site with. Honestly I feel like I am being shut out because there are no jobs here.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Gage View Post
    It depends on what your goal is for the "festival" or for a Ron Paul channel.

If the goal is to preach to a small, loyal group of the already converted who will pay for anything "Ron Paul," go ahead and charge a subscription.

However, if your goal is to inform liberty lovers who may not be hard core (or who don't have the funds) AND bring in new people, the subscription model is doomed to fail. You need to either do it for free, or use advertising.

I don't care if they use ads- every other site in the world does. And the ads don't need to be "liberty related." If Home Depot or Walmart is willing to pay for ad placement on a site that I like, let 'em have at it.

I've been a Ron Paul supporter since the '90s, and I can afford the subscription price, but I don't see the value in it, so I'll pass. That $9.95 can be better spent elsewhere.

If they ran it as advertiser supported, however, I would use it.

lol even my friends who barely make any money don't feel like $10 is a lot of money, but whatever.
    With that attitude, your friends must be broke, and probably always will be, even when their incomes go up.

It's not about whether someone can come up with $10/month, it's about whether this is the best way to spend that $120/year.

Even for a millionaire, money is limited. He has to decide whether that $10 should go to the Ron Paul channel, a charitable donation to the local animal shelter/food pantry, or be invested or whatever.

For many of people, putting that money toward the Ron Paul channel may not be seen as the best use of that $120/year (actually, more than $120/year when opportunity cost is considered).

It's got nothing to do with being "cheap"- it's about making sound, rational financial decisions about using money in the best way. The reason most millionaires are millionaires is because they are frugal, they don't fritter money foolishly away with statements like "hey, it's only $10/month, that's nothing (that's how financially irresponsible people think)."

Anyway, we'll all make our own decisions, but for me, this isn't the best use of my money.

We don't know what the money goes to, maybe it goes to Campaign for Liberty or something like that. Better him than Obama. I guess a lot of Ron Paul "fans" finally show their true colors. It's $10, it's so insignificant. And it's funny how people bitch about freeloading all the time and then expect to get this for free.
    If the choice was "You MUST give $10 to either Ron Paul or Obama," we'd all choose Ron Paul.

But that isn't the choice. We have to choose between the Ron Paul subscription or any of millions of other things we can spend the money on. And for me, there are a lot of better choices than sending $10/month to a septuagenarian multi-millionaire retired politician for a couple of videos per month. That doesn't mean I don't like or respect Ron Paul, I just don't see it as a worthwhile use of my money.

It's not even a good use of the money to promote the movement. If you have $120/year just burning a hole in your pocket, there are a lot of better ways to spend it- support active libertarian politicians (like Justin Amash or Rand Paul) or freedom related organizations (CFL, Libertarian Party, NRA, whatever).

If they go to an advertiser supported model, I'll check it out, but I don't see much bang for my buck in paying a subscription for this.

Here's what Ludwig von Mises had to say about it: Human Action, VII. ACTION WITHIN THE WORLD, 1. The Law of Marginal Utility.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-18-2013 at 03:35 PM. Reason: WORLD not WORD
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    Here's what Ludwig von Mises had to say about it: Human Action, VII. ACTION WITHIN THE WORD, 1. The Law of Marginal Utility.
    LOL - that was hard to read! I got this:

If a man wants to remove a pathological condition by taking a definite quantity of a remedy, the intake of a multiple will not bring about a better effect. The surplus will have either no effect other than the appropriate dose, the optimum, or it will have detrimental effects.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by libertariantexas View Post
    If the choice was "You MUST give $10 to either Ron Paul or Obama," we'd all choose Ron Paul.

But that isn't the choice. We have to choose between the Ron Paul subscription or any of millions of other things we can spend the money on. And for me, there are a lot of better choices than sending $10/month to a septuagenarian multi-millionaire retired politician for a couple of videos per month. That doesn't mean I don't like or respect Ron Paul, I just don't see it as a worthwhile use of my money.

It's not even a good use of the money to promote the movement. If you have $120/year just burning a hole in your pocket, there are a lot of better ways to spend it- support active libertarian politicians (like Justin Amash or Rand Paul) or freedom related organizations (CFL, Libertarian Party, NRA, whatever).

If they go to an advertiser supported model, I'll check it out, but I don't see much bang for my buck in paying a subscription for this.
    I was gonna stay out of this but I have to chime in in support of ^this sentiment. It isn't about the small monthly fee but in reality I don't see this channel expanding outside of the diehards that read/watch everything he writes, says or does. The podcast isn't going anywhere either especially because these enterprises have his name as the focal point on them. Same thing goes for RPI, they should've just kept the Institute for Peace and Prosperity. If you're trying to educate those that don't understand liberty yet, there's likely those that don't give a flip in general and many many that wouldn't be interested specifically because his name is the product. Like he always says, it should be about the message but now he's making a little bit more about the name (man). It's basically an extended version of Texas Straight Talk (w/ visuals and interviews) that I never paid any attention to. Nothing personal, it's just boring business.

Didn't see this thread before, so posted my question in the wrong place. Is there a possibility of using whatever campaign funds are available and using them to fund this channel for some time? My next question would be: How many of subscribers would it take to make this channel free to all?

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    I was gonna stay out of this but I have to chime in in support of ^this sentiment. It isn't about the small monthly fee but in reality I don't see this channel expanding outside of the diehards that read/watch everything he writes, says or does..
    I think that's what some people found discouraging.

But - and I'll get flamed for this - maybe this his his way of forcing some of us to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    I was gonna stay out of this but I have to chime in in support of ^this sentiment. It isn't about the small monthly fee but in reality I don't see this channel expanding outside of the diehards that read/watch everything he writes, says or does..
    But what if what it takes to get it off the ground is $10.00 a month. In the first few months the content could draw enough attention that the hard core MAIN STREAM MEDIA types just have to run with some of it. That could start bringing in the big bucks.

The reoccurring fee held me off.

I thought maybe if I did a month, then I saw the reoccurring thing but it said I could cancel at anytime.

Then I thought I join and cancel right away. Be in to the channel for $10.00. Then I thought if I canceled right away I'd be out as soon as I was in and unable to access content.

Whoa to the tight times.

He should, I think, give members of this board free access. If not me, some of the more productive ones. The 10$ fee could be a revenue raising endeavor with an ancillary benefit: vetting certain trolls.

Of course the only trolls to worry about check in with a .gov and its not like they would hesitate to spend your money.

Having said that, 10$ a month is less than the 200$ I spend on sucking cancer into my lungs. If I drop that habit I am in.
    Last edited by bolil; 08-18-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    Best of luck in life.

Quote Originally Posted by liberty2897 View Post
    Didn't see this thread before, so posted my question in the wrong place. Is there a possibility of using whatever campaign funds are available and using them to fund this channel for some time?
    I'm sure they could find a way if they wanted to. But why would they want to? Are you implying that Ron Paul has a moral and/or legal obligation to invest unused campaign funds into projects that advance the cause of liberty?

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomRings View Post
    I'm sure they could find a way if they wanted to. But why would they want to? Are you implying that Ron Paul has a moral and/or legal obligation to invest unused campaign funds into projects that advance the cause of liberty?
    No, I'm not implying that Ron has an obligation to make it free. Just asking a couple of questions. I can afford the subscription for myself right now, but I would like others to be able to view it that don't have the money. I asked about the remaining campaign funds, because I don't even know if it would be legal to use those funds that way? I realize a production like this costs a lot of money. I've already seen take down notices on youtube due to copyright infringement for the show. Would also like to know if it is within the realm of possibility to make this viewable by all if there were enough subscribers to cover the costs? If this is purely a maximize-profits venture with no free access, then I guess that is what it is.

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just an FYI since I haven't seen it acknowledged here: The Ron Paul Channel no longer exists. The membership model failed like many of us said it would.

http://ronpaulchannel.com/ forwards to http://www.voicesofliberty.com/

They offer some premium subscription that I'm sure isn't worth the cost but now most content is available for free. Should have been that way from the start.

Really sad he ever went down that route. I was just thinking the other day that I haven't watched a Ron Paul video in probably over a year because of the stupid subscription model. It's like he tried to take the monetization model from his 90's news letters and apply it to 2014 internet videos. Honestly this combined with his anti science home school curriculum made me lose a lot of interest in him after the 2012 race. Seems he just tried to monetize his persona in every wrong way possible.

And isn't he pretty well off? He's in his late 70s and retired with a net worth of like 5+ million. All of his kids are grown and successful. Why does he even care about money anymore? I thought he retired from congress to protect his legacy......
    Last edited by brandon; 10-02-2014 at 11:15 PM.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    I suspect this is mostly others giving him bad advice. That said, he has been in a unique position and it would be hard to know what's a good move and what's just not going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Really sad he ever went down that route. I was just thinking the other day that I haven't watched a Ron Paul video in probably over a year because of the stupid subscription model. It's like he tried to take the monetization model from his 90's news letters and apply it to 2014 internet videos. Honestly this combined with his anti science home school curriculum made me lose a lot of interest in him after the 2012 race. Seems he just tried to monetize his persona in every wrong way possible.

And isn't he pretty well off? He's in his late 70s and retired with a net worth of like 5+ million. All of his kids are grown and successful. Why does he even care about money anymore? I thought he retired from congress to protect his legacy......
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Really sad he ever went down that route..
    I'm not so sure it was him that made a decision like that. I think he fell for some slick "technology" speak thrown his way by some folks who wanted to capitalize off his name. Of course, that's only my view. What it did was it kept him out of public view during a critical time in his transition from government. Was unfortunate.

Ron enjoys a global audience now and it continues to grow as foreign media look to him on matters of foreign policy and other such things. Which is a different phenomenon that has evolved of late. The channel itself, ironically, is heavily promoted by various platforms during discussion with him.

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Just an FYI since I haven't seen it acknowledged here: The Ron Paul Channel no longer exists. The membership model failed like many of us said it would.

http://ronpaulchannel.com/ forwards to http://www.voicesofliberty.com/

They offer some premium subscription that I'm sure isn't worth the cost but now most content is available for free. Should have been that way from the start.
    I was still happy to pay for his content and help him get the more comprehensive VOL off the ground

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678