Thread: Coconut Oil 101: What You Need to Know About the Types of Coconut Oil

Thumbs up Coconut Oil 101: What You Need to Know About the Types of Coconut Oil

Coconut Oil 101: What You Need to Know About the Types of Coconut Oil

By Jill Ettinger

You could say coconut oil is experiencing a renaissance. Once shunned for its saturated fat ala the '80s Snackwells fat-free craze, we've learned a thing or two about the importance of healthy fat in the diet. And in particular, we know there are benefits to coconut oil. But between refined, unrefined, extra virgin and virgin, and expeller pressed or cold pressed, it's hard to tell what's the best coconut oil option for our health. Here are a few tips.

Read more about the benefits of coconut oil

Refined or Unrefined?

Refined anything sounds like a bad idea. We avoid refined sugars, flours, grains…why would oil be any different? If you're using coconut oil to cook with (which you should because it can tolerate extremely high heats better than pretty much any other oil), but don't want that coconutty flavor refined is the way to go. It's a process that removes some of the flavor and coconut aroma, making it a more neutral oil. You'll sometimes see refined coconut oil sold as "regular." Avoid oils labeled as "RBD" (refined, bleached and deodorized), which use chemicals in the process. There are chemical-free refining processes (Dr. Bronner's offers one), which maintain the integrity of the oil.

Unrefined is just that—as close to coming straight out of the coconut as possible. That means more flavor and fragrance. It's great in desserts, smoothies and even spread on toast, where you want that sweet coconut flavor.

Read more about coconut oil and oral care

Expeller Pressed or Cold Pressed?

There are a number of ways oil is made. A popular method is expeller pressing, which incorporates pressure and weight to extract the oils. It's an ancient practice, one that works. It's similar to cold pressing where the oil may also be pressed out of the coconut meat. (Some cold pressing uses centrifugal spinning methods.)
    What you don't want is anything that uses high heat or chemicals to extract the oil. This can erode its quality and flavor. Cold pressed and expeller pressed aren't regulated terms so look for brands with quality assurance and information on websites that explain pressing procedures.

Extra-Virgin or Virgin?

You may be most familiar with this term thanks to olive oil. But unlike olive oil, when it comes to coconut oil, extra-virgin and virgin pretty much mean the same thing, which is essentially cold-pressing without the use of high heat or chemicals. But, again, it's not a regulated designation. Your best bet? Your nose. If the oil smells coconutty, sweet and fresh, then it's probably been properly pressed.

Always look for coconut oil that comes in glass. Oils are extremely absorbent and can pick up chemicals from plastic packaging.

Source:
    http://naturallysavvy.com/eat/coconu...of-coconut-oil
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    The refined stuff is great. We originally had a bucket of the unrefined stuff and my wife forbid me from using it as she claimed it smelled like burnt plastic when cooking and tasted disgusting. It took me FOREVER to get through a gallon of it (mainly used in nutbars and on a baby butt to prevent diaper rash).

I got a gallon of the refined stuff after that and cooked with it regularly for about 2months before the wifey saw it. She had no idea I had been using it and she's pretty darn picky about smells and tastes. if you've got a picky eater or somebody that doesn't like coconut in the house, go with the refined stuff. Its pretty much flavorless but works real well.
    "Always look for coconut oil that comes in glass. Oils are extremely absorbent and can pick up chemicals from plastic packaging."

Tropical Traditions has it in glass--it's great stuff.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    "Always look for coconut oil that comes in glass. Oils are extremely absorbent and can pick up chemicals from plastic packaging."

yeah, tried a bunch, including tropical traditions. the unrefined stuff stinks of coconut and smells funny when cooked with. the refined stuff is great.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    yeah, tried a bunch, including tropical traditions. the unrefined stuff stinks of coconut and smells funny when cooked with. the refined stuff is great.
    I guess I have used it so much I do even smell it. I make my big pots of red sauce with organic unrefined coconut oil and had no complaints from guest who have come for dinner.

I guess I have used it so much I do even smell it. I make my big pots of red sauce with organic unrefined coconut oil and had no complaints from guest who have come for dinner.
    Yeah, well I like the unrefined stuff; but I happen to really like coconut. But there are a lot of people that despise coconut. My point is that even if you have people in your household that despise coconut (like I do) the refined stuff is good to go, so give it a try.

I tried the unrefined but it tastes to much like coconut for cooking. I use refined for cooking and unrefined for baking and deserts.

Also, my dog loves the stuff. I cant use it as a moisturizer on my skin because she wont stop licking me.

Quote Originally Posted by brooks009 View Post
    I tried the unrefined but it tastes to much like coconut for cooking. I use refined for cooking and unrefined for baking and deserts.

Also, my dog loves the stuff. I cant use it as a moisturizer on my skin because she wont stop licking me.
    LOL! So does my dog!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries

This is what my wife buys. I highly recommend it too. There is almost nothing we haven't used it for.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to donnay again.
    Last edited by Cleaner44; 08-12-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    This is what my wife buys. I highly recommend it too. There is almost nothing we haven't used it for.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to donnay again.

The photo doesn't show.

IMO, even the worst type of coconut oil is better than no coconut oil!

This is what we buy. Costco has it.

Quote Originally Posted by lib3rtarian View Post
    This is what we buy. Costco has it.

That is good stuff!

I use organic unrefined for cooking and to cleanse my face. I also put it in my energy smoothies. Good stuff.

I use refined for deep frying and unrefined for sauteing certain foods and veggies that benefit from a slight coconut taste. Also use unrefined if I just want to slurp down a spoonful in the morning to get my metabolism going.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    <--- another Tropical Traditions customer.. did not know that about the glass vs plastic thing. I stopped ordering the buckets because they're such a pain in the ass to get open - I've spilled a LOT of oil opening those things - still finding places in the grout that are a little oily.. after steam cleaning the floor a bunch of times.

I get both the flavored and unflavored. Hubby's not wild about all his food tasting like coconut so I cook mostly with the refined. Unrefined has been a godsend this year as a body oil / mosquito repellant. I'm allergic to stinging insects and this year - the dusk animal care hour has not required an epi pen at all.. I think I got two mosquito bites - through pants.. they hover but don't land on me YEAH!

I'd like to make a salve with it, tea tree oil and colloidal silver but cannot seem to get them to emulsify and stay that way when it comes back to room temp.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    <--- another Tropical Traditions customer.. did not know that about the glass vs plastic thing. I stopped ordering the buckets because they're such a pain in the ass to get open - I've spilled a LOT of oil opening those things - still finding places in the grout that are a little oily.. after steam cleaning the floor a bunch of times.

I get both the flavored and unflavored. Hubby's not wild about all his food tasting like coconut so I cook mostly with the refined. Unrefined has been a godsend this year as a body oil / mosquito repellant. I'm allergic to stinging insects and this year - the dusk animal care hour has not required an epi pen at all.. I think I got two mosquito bites - through pants.. they hover but don't land on me YEAH!

I'd like to make a salve with it, tea tree oil and colloidal silver but cannot seem to get them to emulsify and stay that way when it comes back to room temp.
    Try hemp oil instead of tea tree (I can't take the smell of TTO)

Hmmm..I think Costco in the Bay Area is selling Nutiva brand.

Last edited by anaconda; 08-12-2013 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Try hemp oil instead of tea tree (I can't take the smell of TTO)
    sigh.. another product I don't have.. or know where to get.. wait, you mean the *altered* kind, right? That I think I can order
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Hmmm..I think Costco in the Bay Area is selling Nutiva brand.
    That's the kind I get. Just had some brownies made with it...

I've only fried with it once, and found that heating the oil that high eliminated the coconut flavor.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    That's the kind I get. Just had some brownies made with it...

I've only fried with it once, and found that heating the oil that high eliminated the coconut flavor.
    I think it says on the side of the package a little salt neutralizes the coconut flavor as well.
    I have seen through it all... the system is against us. ALL OF IT.