Thread: France bans far-right groups

France bans far-right groups

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23262406
    France has banned three far-right groups allegedly linked to the death of a left-wing activist in a Paris brawl.

Government spokeswoman Najat Vallaud-Belkacem said the Third Way, the Revolutionary Nationalist Youth (JNR) and the Desire to Dream association had been officially dissolved.

Wednesday's announcement follows the death of Clement Meric, 18.

He was badly beaten in a clash in a busy shopping area between far-right and anti-fascist activists in June.

Five people linked with the banned groups are facing charges over the incident.

Ms Vallaud-Belkacem said the three movements had the characteristics of "private militias" who "provoked discrimination, hate and violence".

French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault had previously asked the interior minister to take steps "immediately" to dissolve the JNR, the militant wing of the Third Way.

Increasing tension
    Clement Meric
    Clement Meric had taken part in demonstrations for left-wing causes
    Serge Ayoub, the leader of both groups, was quoted by Agence France Presse news agency as saying the government's decision was an "abuse of power".

He said he would appeal against it before the Council of State, France's top administrative court.

The groups, which are on the fringes of French politics, have denied any link to the brawl.

Mr Ayoub reportedly said he had already disbanded the two movements in June "so as not to be dissolved by others".

He has been questioned by police following the killing but is not a suspect.

France has seen increasing tension between left and right, following a fierce debate over the introduction of same-sex marriage.

The government has vowed to crackdown on fascist groups.

Mr Meric was placed on life support before being declared brain dead following the fight near St Lazare railway station in the north-west of the French capital.

Paris Prosecutor Francois Molins said witnesses had reported that the two groups had run into each other by chance.

He said the arrested suspects claimed to have responded to provocation by the left-wing group.

The main suspect, named as Esteban Morillo, 20, has been placed under formal investigation for use of violence that led to involuntary manslaughter.

French President Francois Hollande said he condemned the attack "in the strongest terms".

France's main far-right party, the National Front, described the killing of Mr Meric as "appalling".
    I don't agree with these skinhead morons, but banning them is totally wrong. Who will they try to ban next? Conservatives and libertarians?
    Last edited by compromise; 08-11-2013 at 04:15 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's scary to see this kind of stuff happen, and the sad thing is, nobody else seems to care. France also has ridiculous "hate speech" laws that make it punishable by jail time to do certain things which don't even have to be linked to hate (questioning the official Holocaust story, for example). And if something happens in France, it can also probably happen in the USA.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Everybody loves to hate the Neo-Nazis. But this is the thin edge of the web. If the government is able to ban far right groups then they will be able to ban others, Libertarians for example, as well.
    Ireland 4 Ron Paul!

I think far-right groups should ban France.

France is hardly a part of Western Civilization anymore...

Economic freedom: #62.

When they say ban what the MEAN is provoke. France PROVOKES far right groups, and why would they do that?

Takes two sides to brawl, no matter if someone is killed or not.
    Best of luck in life.

France has had these sort of laws for a while. I agree it's idiotic and it just makes people more extreme.
    Ron Paul: "For those who have asked, I freely confess that Jesus Christ is my personal Savior, and that I seek His guidance in all that I do."