Thread: Jeff Bezos(amazon CEO) buys the Washington Post for $250 million in cash

Jeff Bezos(amazon CEO) buys the Washington Post for $250 million in cash

Some big (and surprising) news in the media industry today: The Washington Post has just confirmed that it and its affiliated publications have been acquired by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos for $250 million in cash. The paper notes that Amazon itself "will have no role in the purchase," and that Bezos "will buy the news organization and become its sole owner when the sale is completed, probably within 60 days." It also goes on to explain that the existing Washington Post Company, which owns a number of other businesses (including Slate), "will change to a new, still-undecided name and continue as a publicly traded company without The Post thereafter."

In an interview with the paper, the Post Co.'s chief executive, Donald Graham, says that "The Post could have survived under the company's ownership and been profitable for the foreseeable future. But we wanted to do more than survive," adding, "I'm not saying this guarantees success but it gives us a much greater chance of success." In a letter to Post employees, Bezos, who was apparently one of several suitors considered by the company, says that he "won't be leading The Washington Post day-to-day," but that "there will of course be change at The Post over the coming years," and that "we will need to invent, which means we will need to experiment."
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/05/j...llion-in-cash/
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting..he is generally considered a libertarian.

I don't know much about Jeff Bezos or his personal politics, but unless he's to the left of Chairman Mao, this can only spell good news for the Post's editorial bent.
    "When it gets down to having to use violence, then you are playing the system's game. The establishment will irritate you - pull your beard, flick your face - to make you fight, because once they've got you violent then they know how to handle you. The only thing they don't know how to handle is non-violence and humor. "

---John Lennon

"I EAT NEOCONS FOR BREAKFAST!!!"

---Me

I think he's one of those Bill Maher "libertarians."

http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/05/li...shington-post/

I hope he fires all the neo-Trots on the payroll, starting with that horrid Jennifer Rubin.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

How can he be a libertarian when he wants an internet sales tax?

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    The Real Reason Amazon Flip-Flopped On Internet Sales Taxes
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/realspin...t-sales-taxes/
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

If I were a Zionist neocon, I wouldn't worry too much about WaPo direction. Jeff Bezos is one of them.

http://www.infowars.com/why-is-amazo...rg-conference/

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    lol wut?

There were rumors that NYT and Newsweek could also be going under. If they went bankrupt, will it be good for US public interest and bad for future war hysteria campaigns based on lies and profiteers?

Generally so but he needs to keep distance from bambam.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We should start a petition that he fire Jennifer Rubin.

Quote Originally Posted by JCDenton0451 View Post
    If I were a Zionist neocon, I wouldn't worry too much about WaPo direction. Jeff Bezos is one of them.

http://www.infowars.com/why-is-amazo...rg-conference/

lol wut?
    Nevermind..was reading Wiki. He's a Bilderberger.

double post
    Last edited by robskicks; 08-05-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: double post

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    Dude grow the f up. one single issue doesn't define a persons entire beliefs.

couldn't be worse then the tyrants currently in charge

Quote Originally Posted by robskicks View Post
    Taxation is kind of a big deal seeing as the American founders started a revolution over a couple of extra digits of tax rates. When I read a post like your's I instinctively want to ask who hired you.

Nevermind..was reading Wiki. He's a Bilderberger.
    So is Peter Thiel and he supported and funded pro-Ron Paul and pro-liberty groups.

FTA (emphasis added): http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/...on-globe-sold/

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McMaken
    Declining "Washington Post" and "Boston Globe" Sold

Amazon founder Jeff Bezos will buy The Washington Post for $250mm cash. Whether or not this is a good deal remains to be seen, since, according to The Guardian in 2012:

The Washington Post Company’s newspaper division has lost money in 13 of the last 15 quarters. Total loss over that period: $412m. The latest quarterly figures reveal a $23m loss and a 7% drop in revenue. Indeed, revenue has now slithered down in 20 of the last 22 quarterly returns. Last year’s annual figures show it at $314m, a third less than in 2006. Print advertising has shrivelled by 53% in that period. As for digital ad revenue, and supposed salvation, that’s down too – by 8% in the new returns. Amazingly, it too has slipped back over the past five years.
    It’s doubtful things have improved for The WP since 2012.

Buying legacy newspapers that are losing money has become something of a hobby for rich guys in recent years. Sam Zell bought The Chicago Tribune and the L.A. Times in 2007 and failed miserably in his attempt to turn the papers around.

And Friday, we learned The News York Times Company sold The Boston Globe to Red Sox owner John Henry for a measly $70 million. The NYT Co. bought the Globe back in 1993 for $1.1 billion. It doesn’t look like those values are adjusted for inflation, so we’re looking at a decline of price in 93 percent in nominal dollars. It would be worse if in real dollars. (93 percent? I had to double check my math on that.)
    [ - OB]
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Be interesting to see if a newspaper could make good in todays digital age...

Something tells me that a recipe of truth and honesty instead of deceit and propaganda just might sell....

Then again I'm biased.

That issue does.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    So is Peter Thiel and he supported and funded pro-Ron Paul and pro-liberty groups.
    Thiel is actually a fiscal conservative though.

This guy is a liberal.

He mostly donates to Democrats, with a few very liberal Republicans thrown in. That's enough proof he's left-leaning.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    Don't you see the difference between Peter Thiel and Jeff Bezos?? Bezos is Jewish, which means he is 80% likely to be a Democrat, and 59% likely to be warmonger.

Everyone should read this article from Daily Beast:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...th-israel.html

It contains many interesting facts about the politics of the Jewish community, and their relationship with the Democratic party.

He's as much of a libertarian as Glenn Beck is.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Someone was recently cornered into charging sales tax... Someone has also been able to service the CIA recently - with "the cloud". I wonder if this someone is feeling the influence of politics and is now compelled to do something? Beat 'em, join 'em - I guess we shall see.

Someone tell Jeff, "dont be google"

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

UPDATE 2: Matt Welch adds that Bezos has contributed to the non-profit that publishes the libertarian magazine Reason. If Bezos were to push a more libertarian direction for the paper's opinion side, it would be likely be the greatest departure from the Post's current, mostly center-left alignment. What would a mainstream newspaper with a libertarian opinion page look like? There isn't really an obvious model. There's been a great deal of backlash against the prospect of the Koch brothers purchasing the Tribune newspapers (including the Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times), but while the Kochs' economic libertarianism swings strongly to the right, Bezos's chosen causes and donations suggest he might be more in the "liberaltarian" mode. (h/t Daniel Strauss)

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...-bezos/278385/
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hate Reason: they supported the Iraq war and immigration amnesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    He's as much of a libertarian as Glenn Beck is.
    Glenn Beck is light years more libertarian than this guy.

Beck supports Rand Paul and other fiscal conservatives. Jeff Bezos supports Maria Cantwell and other progressives.

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    FTA (emphasis added): http://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog/...on-globe-sold/

Buying legacy newspapers that are losing money has become something of a hobby for rich guys in recent years.
    Like adopting third world kids.

"She bought a baby, for God's sake."
    --Shaaarrron!

WaPo and Bezos: The Hope and the Reality
    http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com...d-reality.html

@wikileaks Amazon to buy Washington Post fresh after $800M deal to host CIA servers http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...f4d_story.html

From Gizmodo:

The CIA has reportedly signed a massive cloud computing deal with Amazon, worth up to $600 million over the next 10 years.

FCW reports that its sources have told it Amazon will build a private cloud infrastructure for the CIA, to help it "keep up with emerging technologies like big data in a cost-effective manner not possible under the CIA's previous cloud efforts"
    Last edited by Lucille; 08-06-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

--Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by JCDenton0451 View Post
    Don't you see the difference between Peter Thiel and Jeff Bezos?? Bezos is Jewish, which means he is 80% likely to be a Democrat, and 59% likely to be warmonger.

Everyone should read this article from Daily Beast:
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...th-israel.html

It contains many interesting facts about the politics of the Jewish community, and their relationship with the Democratic party.
    Bezos isn't Jewish.

Ditch the Jewish crap guys--it isn't a winning issue. Good for him for trying to bring back a newspaper with his own money.
    "Freedom, then Pizza!" - Oklahoma State GOP Convention 5/11/2012