Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newt Gingrich Abandons Neocons, Joins Rand Paul In GOP Foreign Policy Civil War

Newt Gingrich Abandons Neocons, Joins Rand Paul In GOP Foreign Policy Civil War

Newt Gingrich Abandons Neocons, Joins Rand Paul In GOP Foreign Policy Civil War

BY HAYES BROWN ON AUGUST 5, 2013 AT 11:15 AM

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) has a new and unlikely ally in his fight against the neoconservative wing of the Republican Party that has long dominated its foreign policy: former House Speaker Newt Gingrich.

“I am a neoconservative,” Gingrich told the Washington Times in an article published on Sunday. “But at some point, even if you are a neoconservative, you need to take a deep breath to ask if our strategies in the Middle East have succeeded.”

A decade ago, Gingrich as was the forefront of those calling for a broad interventionist policy, one that would spread democracy throughout the Middle East whether its inhabitants wanted America’s help in doing so or not. Just days after the 9/11 attacks, Gingrich was calling for the removal of Saddam Hussein from power in Iraq after the U.S. finished ousting the Taliban in Afghanistan. In the time since, it would seem that Newt has had a change of heart.

“It may be that our capacity to export democracy is a lot more limited than we thought,” Gingrich told the Times, adding: “I think we really need a discussion on what is an effective policy against radical Islam, since it’s hard to argue that our policies of the last 12 years have effective.”

In case the change of allegiances wasn’t clear enough, though, Gingrich specifically cited Sen. Paul as an example of the future of the Republican Party. “I think it would be healthy to go back and war-game what alternative strategies would have been better, and I like Ted Cruz and Rand Paul because they are talking about this,” Gingrich said.

“The establishment will grow more and more hysterical the more powerful Rand Paul and Ted Cruz become,” Gingrich predicted. “They will gain strength as it’s obvious that they are among the few people willing to raise the right questions.” Those comments echo those he made last week on the Laura Inghram radio show, in which he called the Republican establishment’s hysteria over Paul “sad,” determining that “frankly, they’re hysterical because they have no answers.”

read more:
    http://thinkprogress.org/security/20...h-neocon-flip/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    even though he is not to be trusted, this sort of talk is great for us.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

It's interesting that Gingrich actually calls himself a "neo-conservative." Most neo-conservatives don't actually describe themselves with that label.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    It's interesting that Gingrich actually calls himself a "neo-conservative." Most neo-conservatives don't actually describe themselves with that label.
    Yeah. Most claim there is no such thing.

lol yeah that's funny.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

This story is real big deal. A Gingrich defection is very telling.

It is funny. They are all too happy to slur people with neo-isolationist. But if you call them neoconservative, they call you a jew-hater.

Rand and Ted, don't let Newt into your administration.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    I don't know, Newt could be useful when placed in a powerless cabinet position.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulistinian View Post
    He's done enough damage already. No More.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

I've got just the job. Inspector General of Homeland Zoos.

Seriously, do you follow this guy on twitter?
    My website: iroots.org Looking for folks to help write about activism...
    "If you’re into political activism, at least for Ron Paul if not for anyone else, I strongly recommend spending some time with iroots.org."
    - Tom Woods

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    Rand, don't let Ted into your administration.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by radiofriendly View Post
    I've got just the job. Inspector General of Homeland Zoos.

Seriously, do you follow this guy on twitter?
    Get Rand on the phone! That's perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Rand, don't let Ted into your administration.
    Don't Rand and Ted agree with each other on many issues? Why not give him a Cabinet position for something where both see eye to eye?
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    Don't Rand and Ted agree with each other on many issues? Why not give him a Cabinet position for something where both see eye to eye?
    Honestly we can only afford to lose one Liberty Senator... We would still need Cruz, Lee, etc. in the Senate to help President Paul achieve some of his goals.

Not sure how "Newt Gingrich saying 'I am a neoconservative'" = "Newt Gingrich Abandons Neocons" ...

Quote Originally Posted by krugminator View Post
    It is funny. They are all too happy to slur people with neo-isolationist. But if you call them neoconservative, they call you a jew-hater.
    FTA (emphasis added): http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/newt-gi...havent-worked/
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Woods
    Newt Gingrich: Maybe These Interventions Haven’t Worked

Newt Gingrich now admits that neoconservative foreign-policy interventionism has backfired. “It may be that our capacity to export democracy is a lot more limited than we thought,” the former Speaker said.

(Before I get to the significance of this, one quick point: Gingrich says expressly, “I am a neoconservative.” I got a chuckle out of this, because it called to mind all the times we’ve been told that there’s no such thing as a neoconservative, that the term was originated by anti-Semites who use it to demonize Jews, but that there really is no such thing. And here’s a guy who actually admits he is one. So they aren’t just figments of our imaginations after all!)

At this point in his life, Gingrich’s influence is not great. What matters about the concessions he makes to the Washington Times is that he depicts himself as someone who sympathizes with Rand Paul, who is on the less interventionist side of the GOP. He condemns the establishment for responding with hysteria to noninterventionist arguments, and says the hysteria conceals the fact that the interventionists are out of arguments.

Is Gingrich an opportunist? We know the answer. But his remarks, and his eagerness to be perceived as a maverick who rethinks neoconservative interventionism, is an indication of the way the wind is blowing.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-05-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Honestly we can only afford to lose one Liberty Senator... We would still need Cruz, Lee, etc. in the Senate to help President Paul achieve some of his goals.
    At least don't make Ted the VP. Rand needs someone more radical than he is as the #2 or someone is going to go after him.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Its a trap... They're trying to co-opt, and infect our movement. We've seen it before. These pigs dont just "turn a new leaf".

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Newt just had this thought pop thru his head:

There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I'm still not exactly sure why so many people mention Rand and Cruz together when talking about foreign policy issues. Cruz might be better than the average Republican on foreign policy issues, but I don't really think he's where Rand is at.

lol, I refuse to link to thinkprogress.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    They do. Some folks here would prefer that Rand spit in Cruz's face rather than working side by side with him.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLouAlbano View Post
    They do. Some folks here would prefer that Rand spit in Cruz's face rather than working side by side with him.
    People here forget that Ron endorsed and campaigned for Cruz in Texas.

The thread title's deceptive.

He flat out says, "I am a neoconservative."

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The next big terrorist attack will set him straight again... (cue Al CIAeda).

I'm still not exactly sure why so many people mention Rand and Cruz together when talking about foreign policy issues. Cruz might be better than the average Republican on foreign policy issues, but I don't really think he's where Rand is at.
    Cruz seems to be like a Barry Goldwater on foreign policy. He's a bit on the hawkish side, but he's not a neo-con, either.
    Rand Paul 2016
    Justin Amash 2024
    Thomas Massie 2032

Check out Matthew Vines' Reformation Project!

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoPaul View Post
    Cruz seems to be like a Barry Goldwater on foreign policy. He's a bit on the hawkish side, but he's not a neo-con, either.
    I agree. But I'm not sure why people like Gingrich mention Paul and Cruz together when discussing foreign policy, because Rand really isn't on the hawkish side.

Exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptLouAlbano View Post
    I don't so much have a problem with what Rand Paul is doing, although I seriously hope he knows what he's doing (He needs to be willing to betray Cruz before Cruz betrays him, if appropriate). I more have a problem with how everyone but Rand Paul and Mike Lee are reacting to Cruz than how Paul and Lee are reacting.

For instance, we, and Ron Paul, should stop pretending Cruz is an ally when we all know better. We should not LET people like Newt Gingrich try to connect Paul and Cruz without being condemned for it.

Rand Paul can play his game of chess, the rest of us need to set the neocons straight rather than playing their game. They'd like nothing more than to see Ted Cruz associated with the term "libertarian".

People here forget that Ron endorsed and campaigned for Cruz in Texas.
    Nope. I simply disagree with Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    The next big terrorist attack will set him straight again... (cue Al CIAeda).
    I'm ready for the next one. I already feel one coming. I'm not sure it will be mere "blowback" this time around.

I agree. But I'm not sure why people like Gingrich mention Paul and Cruz together when discussing foreign policy, because Rand really isn't on the hawkish side.
    Sometimes he still is. Although, in Rand Paul's case, the signals are mixed enough that I can at least try to be optimistic. Ted Cruz just obviously puts Israel before the United States. Like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    even though he is not to be trusted, this sort of talk is great for us.
    When the people who are motivated by wanting to be on the winning side come your way ....
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Sometimes he still is. Although, in Rand Paul's case, the signals are mixed enough that I can at least try to be optimistic. Ted Cruz just obviously puts Israel before the United States. Like everyone else.
    Rand isn't really "hawkish," but rather just a limited interventionist, as opposed to a complete non interventionist like Ron is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast