Thread: Tom Selleck - Libertarian

Tom Selleck - Libertarian

One of my favorite actors. Most of my favorites are usually liberal unfortunately.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1737416/posts

Hunky heartthrob Tom Selleck played the role of Magnum, PI in the long-running CBS series, a gay reporter in the movie In & Out, and General Dwight D. Eisenhower in a TV biopic. But one role he declines to play is that of a Hollywood conservative. "I prefer libertarian," he told the Chicago Tribune in an August 10, 2000 interview, after the newspaper noted that Selleck was usually identified as a conservative.

Selleck further distanced himself from the conservative label in an article on National Review Online (May 29, 2004). "I'm a registered independent with a lot of libertarian leanings," he said. However, he's an independent who supports a surprisingly minimalistic government: "I think we should have stoplights, fire departments, and [a] strategic missile defense," he explained.

Selleck gave perhaps the most expansive explanation of his political beliefs in an interview with Cigar Aficionado magazine (December 1995). Here's what he had to say...

• On the common good: "The 20th century has been a collectivist century. We've had this global experiment, and we're starting to see the end of the chain letter. I say let's try new things. It's just time to reassess things and say that maybe this idea of the common good has to be translated through the individual."

• On the antismoking movement: "Solutions to problems in a free society are messy. There are no magic bullets, no bumper-sticker solutions. If we want an authoritarian state, we can continue to do the kind of stuff we're doing now about smoking."

• On solving society's problems: "We all agree we need to solve social problems. My leanings tend toward individualist solutions."

Selleck has contributed his time to organizations that work for "individualist solutions." He served as honorary chairman of the Skin Cancer Foundation and is a volunteer for the Los Angeles Mission, which helps homeless people while rejecting federal financial aid. He was national co-spokesperson for the Character Counts Coalition, which seeks to educate young people about the importance of such traits as trustworthiness, responsibility, caring, and respect.

A longtime supporter of gun rights, Selleck appeared in a TV ad for the National Rifle Association (NRA) in 1999. That decision ended up generating headlines after he was verbally attacked by Rosie O'Donnell on her daytime talk show for being pro-gun. On the show, Selleck defended his beliefs, and said, "...the Second Amendment, and all of the Bill of Rights, are extremely important. And somebody needs to stand up at times [when] some of our politicians are demagogueing issues."

The tall, buff actor (who was once named by People magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world) got his start in low-budget movies like Daughters of Satan (1972) and on the TV soap opera The Young and the Restless (1974-75). In 1980, he hit the big time when he was cast as the crime-solving, Ferarri-driving private investigator Thomas Sullivan Magnum on the CBS series, Magnum, PI. The show ran for 162 episodes, from 1980 to 1988.

Selleck parlayed that TV success into a movie career that included popular films like High Road to China (1983), Three Men and a Baby (1988), Three Men and a Little Lady (1990), Mr. Baseball (1992), and In & Out (1997). Famously, he was also Steven Spielberg's first choice for Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but couldn't fit it into his Magnum, PI shooting schedule.

In the late '90s, Selleck's career was rekindled thanks to a supporting role as Dr. Richard Burke on the hit NBC sitcom, Friends. In 2004, he starred in the critically acclaimed A&E film, Ike: Countdown to D-Day. The Christian Science Monitor said Selleck was "terrific in the role" of Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Quotable

"I'm a registered independent with a lot of libertarian leanings." -- Tom Selleck on National Review Online (May 29, 2004)
    Last edited by TaftFan; 08-04-2013 at 06:55 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That mustache...

Might be accurate but the info is ridiculously old to be posting now.

Here is something with info that is 4 years more current.

http://hollowverse.com/tom-selleck/
    Tom Selleck was born in Detroit, Michigan and grew up in Los Angeles, California.

Selleck doesn’t appear to be religious, and according to Wikipedia, he once said that he is “not particularly religious.”1 Various biographies of Selleck claim that he is a member of the Disciples of Christ Church,2 a relatively small Protestant-derived Christian denomination.

Whatever the case may be, Selleck has managed to keep his faith largely out of the media.
    The full political spectrum

Whatever Selleck lacks in the religious category, he certainly makes up for it politically.

Selleck has run the gamut of political ideologies in his lifetime from Democrat to Independent to Republican to Reform to Libertarian.

In 1992, Selleck donated to the Democratic presidential campaign of Paul Tsongas3 and in 1999, Selleck donated $1,000 to Democratic presidential candidate Bill Bradley.4 But the bulk of Selleck’s financial political contributions have been to Republicans including George W. Bush in 2004 and John McCain in 2008.4

In fact, in 2008, Selleck officially endorsed Republican presidential hopeful John McCain5 and he is listed among celebrity registered Republicans.6

However, others, including friends of Selleck3 dispute this, claiming that Selleck is actually a registered Independent. This usually indicates someone with their own, non-derivative political opinions–and this is certainly the case with Selleck.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...n-money-1.html
    Hollywood types who gave McCain the maximum $2,300 include Kelsey Grammer, Tom Selleck and his wife, Jillie Mack Selleck.

Several places on the Internet suggest that Tom Selleck supported Mitt Romney but I cannot find an actual quote.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

The entire article fails to mention Quigley Down Under,surely his finest work
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardo89 View Post
    That mustache...
    Those legs...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Might be accurate but the info is ridiculously old to be posting now.

Here is something with info that is 4 years more current.

http://hollowverse.com/tom-selleck/

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...n-money-1.html

Several places on the Internet suggest that Tom Selleck supported Mitt Romney but I cannot find an actual quote.
    I have noticed many libertarian celebrities that don't actually know about libertarian politics, and end up supporting bad people.

Clint Eastwood is a great example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    I have noticed many libertarian celebrities that don't actually know about libertarian politics, and end up supporting bad people.

Clint Eastwood is a great example of that.
    That's funny. I've noticed tons of "libertarians" that don't know $#@! about libertarian philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    Those legs...
    That bulge in his pants... where his wallet is

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.