Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is the Supreme Court the Arbiter of the Constitution?

Why is the Supreme Court the Arbiter of the Constitution?

Yeah, yeah, I know Marbury v. Madison "gave" them that power but it's odd to me that the SCOTUS, in a case, could say "Oh, by the way, we can say what the Constitution means." What justifies this, legally, morally, and constitutionally? I know in the Federalist Papers Hamilton/Madison said the SCOTUS ought to decide what the law means, but I still don't understand how you could fully justify it in any objective or "semi-objective" manner. Is it wrong for them to have this power?

Some help on understanding this would be appreciated.
    [no longer a teenager]

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Article 3 sections 1 and 2 pretty much spell it out.

Section 1

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services, a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.
    Section 2

1: The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;--to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls;--to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction;--to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party;--to Controversies between two or more States;--between a State and Citizens of another State;10 --between Citizens of different States, --between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.
    2: In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellateJurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.
    3: The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.

IANAL but I'd be interested in hearing whether there's a legal-snake difference between the judicial power of the United States being vested in SCOTUS, and the fact that all crimes are to be tried by jury, and whether or not rights violations are considered crimes.

So if SCOTUS is deciding what is a rights violation and what isn't, it seems to me that they are deciding on criminal cases and unconstitutionally denying the parties a jury trial.

Just another way our current system doesn't quite logically fit together.

Or, it could be what I've strongly suspected for years now: that no constitutionalist has a coherent legal theory they're working from, it all boils down to the guy with the biggest stick making the rules, and constitutionalism is horse$#@! on stilts.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

After reading that section of the constitution, I still think the idea that the SCOTUS can say what the constitution means is on shaky ground.
    [no longer a teenager]

The Constution is a specific document only where it comes to powers- who has the power for what. What does the Senate do and who is elgible to be a Senator for example. But issues are not usually black and white as to what is or isn't allowed- even under the Constitution- so they have to decide what if any part of it applies to any case presented to them. Things which are not specifically spelled out must be "intrepreted".

Rights for example are deliniated in the Bill of Rights. What about when those rights come into conflict? Which is the more important? Are the rights absolute? Can you yell "fire!" in a crowded movie theater as an old example? Where do the lines get drawn? The Supreme Court attempts to draw those lines (and the lines may shift over time).

It is simply the underlying theory behind the balance of powers; really, but a reciprocatory power. The courts posses the enforcement arm of that power. Which is to mean that if the people dislike the courts findings, they can call upon their representatives to ratify or amend new legislation to reverse the court’s effect. As well if they people dislike an enacted public law they may seek redress or mandamus through adjudication, including jury nullification. A few varying examples include: voting (“poll”) taxes, separate but equal; prohibition, the Sixteenth Amendment, women’s rights, the definition of marriage, etc.
    Last edited by Weston White; 08-03-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post

[/FONT][/COLOR]

IANAL but I'd be interested in hearing whether there's a legal-snake difference between the judicial power of the United States being vested in SCOTUS, and the fact that all crimes are to be tried by jury, and whether or not rights violations are considered crimes.

So if SCOTUS is deciding what is a rights violation and what isn't, it seems to me that they are deciding on criminal cases and unconstitutionally denying the parties a jury trial.

Or, it could be what I've strongly suspected for years now: that no constitutionalist has a coherent legal theory they're working from, it all boils down to the guy with the biggest stick making the rules, and constitutionalism is horse$#@! on stilts
    This^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Or, it could be what I've strongly suspected for years now: that no constitutionalist has a coherent legal theory they're working from, it all boils down to the guy with the biggest stick making the rules, and constitutionalism is horse$#@! on stilts.
    Nail on head .

the constitution is a trust. its between criminals and its for them and their posterity. so the result is a de facto government.

Dr. Dale Livingston - The True Deal With Judges

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Or, it could be what I've strongly suspected for years now: that no constitutionalist has a coherent legal theory they're working from, it all boils down to the guy with the biggest stick making the rules, and constitutionalism is horse$#@! on stilts
    +rep
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think the real problem comes from the idea that the SCOTUS has the last word on what the Constitution means for everyone. Nowhere in the Constitution is it suggested that, for example, the President can or must act contrary to the terms of the Constitution just because the SCOTUS says he can. On the contrary, every officer of the US Government is under a duty to follow the Constitution no matter what the SCOTUS or any other officer says or does.

Furthermore, the acts of the SCOTUS are themselves void if they are not in compliance with the terms of the Constitution. What does that mean as a practical matter? It means nullification and secession. If the Federal government exceeds its powers, its acts are void and not binding on the states or the people no matter what the SCOTUS says.

The SCOTUS is not the final word. I think it is absurd on its face to think that the Founders, concerned as they were about runaway government power, would determine that the Federal government should have the last word on the limits of its own power.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Teenager For Ron Paul View Post
    Yeah, yeah, I know Marbury v. Madison "gave" them that power but it's odd to me that the SCOTUS, in a case, could say "Oh, by the way, we can say what the Constitution means."
    What is "odd" about it? That is exactly the sort of thing that all governments have always done (and always will do).

And "odd" or not, that is nevertheless exactly what they did in this particular case.

What justifies this, legally, morally, and constitutionally?
    Nothing justifies it.

I know in the Federalist Papers Hamilton/Madison said the SCOTUS ought to decide what the law means, but I still don't understand how you could fully justify it in any objective or "semi-objective" manner.
    That is because it cannot be justified in such a manner.

Is it wrong for them to have this power?
    Yes.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    +rep
    You guys do realize Ron is a Constitutionalist, right?
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Which means he's not among those that would just use a big stick to do what they want, but he's in the minority (within the gov and among the people)
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 08-16-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Yeah, Ron and I are just incoherent, didn't you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I think the real problem comes from the idea that the SCOTUS has the last word on what the Constitution means for everyone. Nowhere in the Constitution is it suggested that, for example, the President can or must act contrary to the terms of the Constitution just because the SCOTUS says he can. On the contrary, every officer of the US Government is under a duty to follow the Constitution no matter what the SCOTUS or any other officer says or does.

Furthermore, the acts of the SCOTUS are themselves void if they are not in compliance with the terms of the Constitution. What does that mean as a practical matter? It means nullification and secession. If the Federal government exceeds its powers, its acts are void and not binding on the states or the people no matter what the SCOTUS says.

The SCOTUS is not the final word. I think it is absurd on its face to think that the Founders, concerned as they were about runaway government power, would determine that the Federal government should have the last word on the limits of its own power.
    That ^ the power to overturn a law that exceeded authority granted under the Constitution was distributed - (A) the SCOTUS could overturn an unconstitutional law (B) a majority of the states could overturn an unconstitutional federal law - the meaning of "Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof" could also be judged by the states as articulated in the Kentucky and Virginia resoultion (C) the people themselves acting via state governments or the last and ultimate check on government power via the militias.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

"Why is the Supreme Court the Arbiter of the Constitution?"

Are they?

I'm thinking you all are the interpreters of the Constitution for yourselves.

Only when a problem arises may they ever have a say. I can't imagine ever having enough money to argue an opinion of mine up to the point to get them involved. Every step through the system now will be against a criminal organization with unlimited counterfeit.

It'd take a miracle. Or a fool for a client.

And a dialectician and rhetorician. RP's Constitutionalism is just a rhetorical tool he uses in debate and in house procedures. I don't have links handy, but if he were here he would admit that the document has a number of inherent flaws.

ETA: See also the RP quotes in my sig
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 08-16-2013 at 08:17 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Yeah, Ron and I are just incoherent, didn't you know?
    Inconsistent, but only occasionally incoherent.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Inconsistent, but only occasionally incoherent.

Yeah, yeah, I know Marbury v. Madison "gave" them that power but it's odd to me that the SCOTUS, in a case, could say "Oh, by the way, we can say what the Constitution means." What justifies this, legally, morally, and constitutionally? I know in the Federalist Papers Hamilton/Madison said the SCOTUS ought to decide what the law means, but I still don't understand how you could fully justify it in any objective or "semi-objective" manner. Is it wrong for them to have this power?

Nobody GAVE them anything in any direct sense - they SEIZED the power and nobody stood tall and shot every stinking one of those pricks, which is what should have happened.

There is nothing fancy to understand. In my consulting work I do just this sort of thing as did the SCOTUS. I walk into the board room, whip out my nuts and heft them onto the table and wait to see if anyone challenges it with a larger pair. If not, I know I am the de-facto boss and proceed. Otherwise, I negotiate my way up - always up, mind you.

People savvy in the ways of power know you never ask permission - you act. 99 times out of 98 you will get away with it and once the precedent is set the inertia that results is invariably too great to overcome at a cost people are willing to pony up, so they step down and the world continues to turn.

Hamilton was a statist punk whose ears I'd box back in a heartbeat, were I able to go back in time. They'd have to invent the Porter Power just to get my foot out of his ass.

Madison, really, isn't that much better as he was a federalist. I don't give a $#@! how pretty his written hand was, and I have an unusually strong appreciation for such skills, he was dead wrong and if I could go back in time I'd slap the taste out of his mouth as well. I might just shoot most of the lot of them and put Patrick Henry in charge because he and Sam Adams were by far the best of the bunch, though George Mason had his good points as well. Even Jefferson was a $#@!-up as president taking good ideas (.e. Louisiana Purchase) and implementing them poorly (taxpayer funded with no benefit to anyone who paid).
    Last edited by osan; 08-19-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Our legal system is $#@!. There are good elements there - presumption of innocence and all that - but as a whole it is complete crap as demonstrated by the current state of affairs and the horrid circumstances that befall anyone getting sucked into it. Our system is corrupt beyond ready description and should be dismantled in toto and replaced. For example, I would allow no plea bargains. Any hint of it and everyone goes to jail long enough to make them never even consider it again. Judge? Never less than five judges presiding over a trial and every ruling must be by 4/5 majority consensus when in the favor of prosecution and 2/5 when in favor of the defense. And the list goes on, almost without end.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    The Constution is a specific document only where it comes to powers
    Not so - it is VERY specific where rights are concerned. "Shall not be infringed" is unequivocal.

- who has the power for what.
    The role of SCOTUS is not well specified. It is given in airy-fairy generalities that stand as emaciated walking skeletons with no meat on their bones.

But issues are not usually black and white as to what is or isn't allowed
    Which is why the document is weak and needs replacing by something better, such as the constitution I wrote 25 years ago.

so they have to decide what if any part of it applies to any case presented to them.
    Further evidence of the document's inadequacies, particularly in the face of corruption, in which we are now awash to the edge of drowning.

Things which are not specifically spelled out must be "intrepreted".
    I might disagree with this. Those not spelled out are NOT within the enumerated powers, period.

What about when those rights come into conflict?
    A legitimate question, but the question does not address frequency of legitimate conflicts v. non. I would submit that the vast proportion of such cases are not legitimate - that no actual conflict of rights exists. Man paints his house screaming hot pink, neighbor gets piss over it and sues. Stoopid court people fail to see there is no conflict of rights because stoopid neighbor has no right not to be offended by screaming hot pink house color. Case is heard and from there the painter's rights hang precariously by a thread, put there by those with no authority to so do.

Are the rights absolute?
    Rights are indeed absolute or they would not be rights, but merely suggestions to be ignored by whomever whenever it suited them. This idiotic notion that a right is not absolute within the context of its existence is not just idiotic but so very dangerous to liberty. My right to property trumps your need to take it from me. I am therefore within my rights to kill you deader than stone if you insist on stealing the least item of mine - say, a pencil for example. It may SEEM excessive, but where the naked principles are involved it is indeed very much proportional.

Can you yell "fire!" in a crowded movie theater as an old example?
    Horrid example, but to answer - yes. Firstly, you should have asked "MAY you yell fire!". It is obvious anyone with functioning vocal chords and brains CAN do it. May we? Certainly so. Doing so is not a crime in se. It becomes a crime only if the result is a criminal violation of the rights of another. So if I yell fire and nothing happens, it might be the theater owner's prerogative to show me the door, but no crime has occurred and therefore I cannot be rightly charged. If, OTOH, my utterance causes a stampede and someone is injured or killed, I may be held accountable for such a result.

Where do the lines get drawn?
    Almost always simply answered. If no violation of the rights of others has occurred, no crime has occurred and you are within your right to act in the manner in question. Given the right, however, it may not follow that it is a good idea to so act. But acting in ways that may annoy others does not entitled them to charge you criminally.

The Supreme Court attempts to draw those lines (and the lines may shift over time).
    And they fail at it miserably in virtually every case.
    Last edited by osan; 08-19-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Whoever has the most guns decides what the law means.

Damn, you guys are harsh (in a good way.)
    [no longer a teenager]

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I had a question about that too once. I contacted Andrew Horning (Libertarian Senatorial Candidate here in Indiana) whom I met earlier this year and asked him about it. Here's his reply that he gave me.

"Yes, only legislators can write laws. Their meaning cannot be changed by courts, but their application to any particular case can be open to interpretation. This is because people go to a court to resolve a dispute. If there is a dispute over what a law means or how it applies (and the way laws are written so badly and profusely, it should happen even more than it does), then a court is the proper place to sort it out. That is where the interpretation takes place.

But...

People now assume that the resolution of that particular case brought before the court should have a legislating effect, ”settled law,” precedente, or stare decisis. This is from English common law. And there is mention of common law courts in constitutions. But the Supreme Court is constituted under the written, civil law of the constitutions, and may not operate under common law rules. This was actually affirmed in the Marbury v. Madison case, though with FDR’s “court packing” crime, that same decision was reinterpreted to mean the opposite! And most people have believed it since, because it’s great for politicians to have almighty unelected courts to take the heat of bad policy off their elected shoulders."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_review

What justifies this, legally, morally, and constitutionally?
    Arguably:
    • the lack of a viable alternative; and
    • the decision of the people not to overrule Marbury v. Madison, which they well could do via Article V.

I know Marbury v. Madison "gave" them that power but it's odd to me that the SCOTUS, in a case, could say "Oh, by the way, we can say what the Constitution means."
    SCOTUS justified it in the text of that opinion, using different words than you attribute to them, for what they're worth. I have never seen SCOTUS concerned with law, morality, or the constitution. Their concern seems to be publishing words to dissuade people from overthrowing the ruling regime; and since they have succeeded, you could say the ends justify the means.
    Last edited by better-dead-than-fed; 09-12-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by better-dead-than-fed View Post
    I have never seen SCOTUS concerned with law, morality, or the constitution. Their concern seems to be publishing words to dissuade people from overthrowing the ruling regime; and since they have succeeded, you could say the ends justify the means.
    Then you haven't read many Supreme Court cases. Why don't you start with Brown v. Board of Education, which was very much concerned with the Constitution and morality and which overturned the ruling regime that mandated racial segregation in the public schools.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Not so - it is VERY specific where rights are concerned. "Shall not be infringed" is unequivocal.

The role of SCOTUS is not well specified. It is given in airy-fairy generalities that stand as emaciated walking skeletons with no meat on their bones.

Which is why the document is weak and needs replacing by something better, such as the constitution I wrote 25 years ago.

Further evidence of the document's inadequacies, particularly in the face of corruption, in which we are now awash to the edge of drowning.

I might disagree with this. Those not spelled out are NOT within the enumerated powers, period.

A legitimate question, but the question does not address frequency of legitimate conflicts v. non. I would submit that the vast proportion of such cases are not legitimate - that no actual conflict of rights exists. Man paints his house screaming hot pink, neighbor gets piss over it and sues. Stoopid court people fail to see there is no conflict of rights because stoopid neighbor has no right not to be offended by screaming hot pink house color. Case is heard and from there the painter's rights hang precariously by a thread, put there by those with no authority to so do.

Rights are indeed absolute or they would not be rights, but merely suggestions to be ignored by whomever whenever it suited them. This idiotic notion that a right is not absolute within the context of its existence is not just idiotic but so very dangerous to liberty. My right to property trumps your need to take it from me. I am therefore within my rights to kill you deader than stone if you insist on stealing the least item of mine - say, a pencil for example. It may SEEM excessive, but where the naked principles are involved it is indeed very much proportional.

Horrid example, but to answer - yes. Firstly, you should have asked "MAY you yell fire!". It is obvious anyone with functioning vocal chords and brains CAN do it. May we? Certainly so. Doing so is not a crime in se. It becomes a crime only if the result is a criminal violation of the rights of another. So if I yell fire and nothing happens, it might be the theater owner's prerogative to show me the door, but no crime has occurred and therefore I cannot be rightly charged. If, OTOH, my utterance causes a stampede and someone is injured or killed, I may be held accountable for such a result.

Almost always simply answered. If no violation of the rights of others has occurred, no crime has occurred and you are within your right to act in the manner in question. Given the right, however, it may not follow that it is a good idea to so act. But acting in ways that may annoy others does not entitled them to charge you criminally.

And they fail at it miserably in virtually every case.
    There are some who say that the Articles of Confederation was a better document... and in many ways, it was. In fact, the Constitution was supposed to only be a 'tweaked' version of the Articles... but we all know how that played out.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by Sonny Tufts View Post
    Then you haven't read many Supreme Court cases. Why don't you start with Brown v. Board of Education, which was very much concerned with the Constitution and morality and which overturned the ruling regime that mandated racial segregation in the public schools.
    Read what he wrote more carefully.
    Their concern seems to be publishing words to dissuade people from overthrowing the ruling regime;
    I don't see at all how Brown didn't do exactly that.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I don't see at all how Brown didn't do exactly that.
    What is there in Brown that dissuaded people from overturning the existing regime of segregation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast