Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thomas Massie on Junkyard Wars

Thomas Massie on Junkyard Wars

This thread work in progress... sorry no tube yet

erg... "video too long to upload" Working on it. Slow P4 machine video editing. If anyone else has a "verified youtube" or a faster machine by all means beat me to it... You're after theses torrents:

"Junkyard Wars US 3x03 Sand Yacht avi"
    https://torcache.net/torrent/7AEF996...D8C4CC.torrent

Junkyard Wars (US) - 3x06 - Fire Fighting Flotilla (2nd Semi-Final).avi
    http://kickass.to/junkyard-wars-us-3...-t3054388.html

Both links have worked for me, I have the files, but they're too big to upload on my non verified youtube and my video editing capabilities are weak on this machine.

Two teams from MIT battle it out on TV's 'Junkyard Wars'

Sarah H. Wright, News OfficeJuly 31, 2013

Thomas Massie, Rhett Creighton and Rony Kubat of the Geeks work on their "sand yacht" in a "Junkyard Wars" episode to be broadcast tonight and on June 16. They are vying against another MIT team, a group of alumnae dubbed the Quantum Mechanics.
    Photo courtesy / The Learning Channel

June 12, 2002

Two teams of MIT alumni and students will compete tonight on "Junkyard Wars " in a race to design and build wind-powered sand-sailing vehicles. The show airs at 9 p.m. and midnight tonight and again on Sunday, June 16 at 6 p.m. on The Learning Channel.

The Geeks will battle the Quantum Mechanics--the first all-female team ever to compete on "Junkyard Wars"--to build "sand yachts" out of scrap metal and other detritus scrounged from a junkyard. The competitors have 10 hours to complete the job of designing and building a mobile, robust machine that can sail over land. The show works much like MIT's famed annual machine contest for students in 2.007 (Introduction to Design and Manufacturing), except for the contestants' vibrant jumpsuits and ever-present, ever-filming camera crew.

The Geek team captain, Thomas Massie, will be familiar to fans of 2.007. Massie (S.B. 1993), won the MIT contest in 1993 and went on to found SensAble Technologies. He also won the Lemelson-MIT student prize for inventiveness and the 1995 MIT $10K Entrepreneurship Competition, both in 1995. His hobbies include drag racing. Rounding out the team are Rony Kubat (S.B. 2001), who lives and works in France, and Rhett Creighton, a senior in nuclear engineering.

Speaking of the "Junkyard" experience, Massie declared, "It was 2.007 cubed! Imagine building a 2.007 machine that you have to
    ultimately ride in and having only 10 hours to do so. And we got to keep the jumpsuits--they're awesome. Rhett called them 'super-hero costumes.' I wore mine to work once already."

The Quantum Mechanics are all MIT alumnae. Leila Hasan (S.B. 2000, M.Eng.) plays Balinese music and enjoys building electronic and nonelectronic musical instruments, kinetic sculptures and robots. Danielle Smith (S.B. 2002) enjoys classic car restoration, skeet shooting and quilting. Kimberly Hamad-Schifferli (S.B. 1994) is a postdoctoral researcher at the Media Lab. The former radio DJ enjoys drawing, photography, hiking and watching Kung Fu movies. She has also published articles on semiconductor nanocrystals and biological antennas.

At dawn, "Junkyard Wars" contestants are assigned a guest expert and informed of the day's mission, which could be to build anything from a giant drill to a hydrofoil or even a street-sweeper. Teams have until sunset to design and build a working machine with all the tools they want and all the parts they can find in an actual junkyard. All scavenging, design and construction work stops after 10 hours.

At sunup the next day, the two teams compete to see whose machine is a metallic masterpiece. The victors win only the respect of their peers and a trophy made of, yes, more junk. Hosts Cathy Rogers and Tyler Harcott give viewers the play-by-play as the teams design their creations, scramble for parts and try to piece them together.

In addition to following the competition, the show reveals the physics and mechanics behind the machines, taking viewers aside for quick lessons in everything from lift-and-drag to air velocity and trajectories. Experts explain the problems that the teams face and diagram possible solutions, so viewers get insight into the basics of how complex machines work.

The judge for "Sand Yachts" is Bob Dill, a manufacturing engineer from Burlington, Vt., and president of the North American Land Sailing Association. He and a friend share the world record for the fastest land yacht (116.7 mph), breaking the previous record set in 1977 at 88 mph by Nord Embroden. Embroden himself is the expert for the Quantum Mechanics. He is an instructor of industrial education at Victor Ride College and California State University. He enjoys land sailing and teaches snowboarding in the winter.

Dennis Bassano of Santa Cruz, Calif., serves as expert for the Geeks. He owns Bassano Racing and Bassano Plumbing and holds the National Landsailing Championship in two classes.

A version of this article appeared in MIT Tech Talk on June 12, 2002.
    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2002/junkyard-0612.html

keyword:
    "Junkyard Wars US 3x03 Sand Yacht avi"

torrent:
    https://torcache.net/torrent/7AEF996...D8C4CC.torrent
    Last edited by presence; 08-02-2013 at 02:51 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    did you get both episodes? mine is stuck at 85% and 99% with no seeds

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    did you get both episodes? mine is stuck at 85% and 99% with no seeds
    I got "sand yacht" it only went to 99.39% but I was able to get a tube out of it with some lost data here and there. I just watched it though end-to-end and it seems pretty good. Youtube says 93 more minutes on the upload. Its 300 megs.

---------------

I have both now. Trouble posting though
    Last edited by presence; 08-02-2013 at 02:52 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Haha...cant wait to watch this.

//
    Last edited by presence; 08-02-2013 at 12:51 PM.

////
    Last edited by presence; 08-02-2013 at 02:51 PM.

Ok... I'm over it. I give up. "not responding" "force quit" "frozen" "grey screen". Machine not fast enough, sorry folks.

Its all there if someone wants to pick up the ball and run.

Thanks for trying!
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy88 View Post
    Thanks for trying!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    Is this you?

Thumbs up [VIDEO] Thomas Massie on Junkyard Wars - "Sand Yacht" (FULL episode)

Last edited by Occam's Banana; 02-19-2024 at 03:32 AM.
    "We have nothing to fear except our own unwillingness to defend what is naturally ours, our God-given rights. We have nothing to fear that should cause us to forget or relinquish our rights as free men and women. To thrive, we must believe in ourselves again, and we must never, never trade our liberty for any fleeting promise of security." - Rand Paul

That's totally cool.

You're a cool geek Massie!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

Never sing again.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Next round?
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

other episode he was in was the semi finals 3x6 fire fighting flotilla, the torrent has no seeders

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes! I've been waiting forever for this. I was on the verge of just asking Thomas himself for the video.

Liberty+nerdiness=the absolute coolest guy around right now

I think next time Thomas comes in to DC for congress, he ought to zoom in on his Junkyard Wars sand yacht wearing that red uniform. They can't arrest him for doing that - they're not allowed.

That's awesome, I used to watch that show.

If you don't have time to watch the whole thing, at least watch their beginning intro video that starts at 1:50.

bump for the moneybomb weekend!
    Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder. ~GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter, Aug. 17, 1779

Quit yer b*tching and whining and GET INVOLVED!!

20 bucks to Massie if someone can find a working video.

I give up
    No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders. -Samuel Adams

100,ooo thanx, Gage! you deserve some REP!

Apologies for the video being blocked in the United States, not sure why they care about blocking an old episode from a decade ago.
    "We have nothing to fear except our own unwillingness to defend what is naturally ours, our God-given rights. We have nothing to fear that should cause us to forget or relinquish our rights as free men and women. To thrive, we must believe in ourselves again, and we must never, never trade our liberty for any fleeting promise of security." - Rand Paul

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thomas Massie on Junkyard Wars

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Maybe my favorite Massie quote @20:16...

"you know, I'd rather have a stiff sail than a flappy sail"

Me too, Thomas, me too.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Imagine watching this show back in the day not realizing that one day Massie would be one of the great defenders of liberty.
    "Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration is minding my own business."

Calvin Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Globalist View Post
    Imagine watching this show back in the day not realizing that one day Massie would be one of the great defenders of liberty.
    Not hard to imagine. I did see this show (and episode) when it originally came out.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Maybe my favorite Massie quote @20:16...

"you know, I'd rather have a stiff sail than a flappy sail"

Me too, Thomas, me too.
    Damn, that's deep.

Too many flappy sails in Congress. Only a few stiff sails.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Thomas Massie: Reality TV star

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...95389549269241

https://twitter.com/i/status/1759248507016187917

“It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast