Thread: Rand Paul: America's mission is to keep the peace, not police the world

Rand Paul: America's mission is to keep the peace, not police the world

Rand Paul: America's mission is to keep the peace, not police the world

By David Sherfinski
    July 22, 2013, 10:49AM

Sen. Rand Paul mixed a gracious appreciation to veterans with a call for a more limited role for America’s military might around the world in a speech Monday at the 114th Veterans of Foreign Wars National Convention.

The Kentucky Republican, who has not been shy in hinting he may run for president in 2016, has been a critic of overseas military adventurism that partly defined President George W. Bush’s two terms in office, as well as the use of drone strikes under both Mr. Bush’s administration and that of President Obama.

“America has never backed down from a fight, but we should never be one that is eager to get involved in civil wars that don’t affect our national security,” he said. “Is our involvement in Egypt, Syria and Pakistan to our benefit or our detriment? We must have the strongest military on Earth — not because we are eager to use it, but so that no one would ever dare challenge us.”

Mr. Paul went on to quote President Reagan’s first inaugural address: “Our forbearance…should never be misunderstood. Our reluctance for conflict should not be misjudged as a failure of will. When action is required to preserve our national security, we will act. We will maintain sufficient strength to prevail if need be, knowing that if we do so we have the best chance of never having to use that strength.”

For the country’s sake and for veterans’ sake, Mr. Paul said, “America’s mission should always be to keep the peace, not to police the world.”

read more:
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...-not-police-w/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Perhaps he could show how foreign policy should be similar to the "Castle Doctrine" or "Stand Your Ground"?
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Well, the more I grow to distrust government the more I question the "Strongest military in the world" statement, but I expect no different from Rand or even Ron with that regard.

That said, America's job is not to "Keep the peace." If two nations that are not the United States go to war, its none of our business. Period.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

The job of the police is also to "keep the peace". So the statement "American should not police the world", but should "keep the peace", is a contradiction. And Reagan's foreign policy backed many wars.
    Last edited by robert68; 07-24-2013 at 06:10 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's a reason congress is supposed to declare war.