Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: If we could buy 1000 acres or more, who would join us?

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    My wife has property in Virginia in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and we've been thinking of moving there eventually. Would be great to have liberty minded people in the area. I've thought about buying more property there, also.
    Something I've found to be oddly true in my travels, the higher altitude the greater the density of liberty minded folks.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Something I've found to be oddly true in my travels, the higher altitude the greater the density of liberty minded folks.
    Are you saying high people are dense?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Are you saying high people are dense?

Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    My wife has property in Virginia in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and we've been thinking of moving there eventually. Would be great to have liberty minded people in the area. I've thought about buying more property there, also.
    This might be workable for us too. I always loved SW Virginia.

I could deal with a view like this: (I am sure it's fantastic come Fall.)

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/...rfalls-654160/

I wouldn't mind having a creek like this either:

http://www.unitedcountry.com/search0...0700&AU=N&FT=P

This one's over 2000 acres:

http://www.landandfarm.com/property/...rginia-350330/

And these are just some of the first ones I found, there are a ton of even more beautiful properties for sale in SW VA. It's not priced like the northern Nevada desert where you can buy yourself a square mile (640 acres) for under $100,000; but the prices/acre don't seem to terrible to me, especially considering the lushness and number of properties with water running through them.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    We could be that small town....
    Indeed.

You must, however, accept that by doing so you *will* be attacked by "authority." This freedom town will need to have a well trained militia and its own system of adjudication...or you will ultimately be negotiating freedom and submitting.

FSP, if it's truly successful (and I hope it is) will reach a point where "authority" will crack down on it. I hope they've taken consideration of this fact.

*edit: I'd like to see a place that isn't landlocked so that free trade can exist w/ international trading partners (one of the pluses for NH, I suppose)
    Last edited by Czolgosz; 07-22-2013 at 01:35 PM.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

Will there be a fence with barbed wire along the top? That barbed wire usually gets attached to a bracket tilted at a 45 degree angle (towards the intruder) ...If so equipped, then the important question is, does it face in or out? BTW, This is a Wire or "Hampshire" gate. Ironic "Free State" name association there!

The only advantage imho of banding together would be more buying power at the point of sale. The more acreage purchased at the same time the better price per acre, especially above 500 acres.

This is where I would draw the line as far as cooperating with other individuals as "shared land" is often fraught with difficulty.

Buying land together to improve purchase power is good.
    Buy land together to share can become a nightmare for those involved.

First off, when you are looking for land to divide there needs to be a written agreement of who occupies which area. ''

Most properties are not homogenous in terms of features and benefits. There will some areas that will have superior water access, sun, topography, soil fertility, beauty, seclusion, lumber, firewood, etc. Who gets what? These are extremely important issues that if not dealt with on paper from the get go, turn ugly fast.

Not to mention the fact that when buying land many people have there own designs in mind for the future of the space. What if one of the investors decides to start collecting and dismantling junk cars? What if one person wants to throw concerts every night and others have a newborn child?

Many friends and families soon learn the meaning of the old phrase "Good fences make good neighbors".

Pooling money to buy adjacent land, I would be into that.
    Last edited by The Northbreather; 07-22-2013 at 02:28 PM.

My wife's property is in Patrick County, VA, a river runs through/along it. Good for wood, water, gardens, etc...
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Should probably look at climate, is land sustainable, good for farming, plenty of water, does it have access to underground springs for wells, etc. Would mountainous land be more expensive to build on due to grading? Is ground solid enough to build basements/bunkers? Is it mild enough in winter to grow anything?

I wonder if 1000 acres of liberty activists would be bunker buster missile priority target?

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by shemdogg View Post
    just move to nh
    Keene, NH - historical average January High Temp 32F; Low Temp 9F.

I grew up in the mountains; I never tolerated the cold well then, and now I can barely tolerate the cold here in Philly where our historical avg January High is 41F; Low Temp 25F. Some of us just aren't cut out to handle the extremes, or at least would rather not subject ourselves to them if it's not necessary.

Stuart, Va (Patrick County) is only marginally better than Philly but still leaps warmer than NH with historical avg Jan High Temp at 48F, low temp 23F.

Weather is my first 5 reasons I won't move to NH. I like being outside and I like to be relatively comfortable while I am there.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Should probably look at climate, is land sustainable, good for farming, plenty of water, does it have access to underground springs for wells, etc. Would mountainous land be more expensive to build on due to grading? Is ground solid enough to build basements/bunkers? Is it mild enough in winter to grow anything?
    The laws in the area are important too. And, if we decide to do this, it might be wise to buy up land about an hour away from a small town, so that we still have access to a hospital, automotive, hardware store, etc. The compound idea could work for those who can't afford to buy anything and need more time, or those who can contribute but only a little. At least this way we're in the same area.

Does anyone know anything about the land/laws on the border between Oklahoma and Texas? I'm worried about moving to a frigidly cold area now that I have so many broken bones. I don't want to live out the rest of my life in constant pain during the winters.
    Last edited by Deborah K; 07-22-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I wonder if 1000 acres of liberty activists would be bunker buster missile priority target?
    Did you read the OP? I explain my reasoning as to why we wouldn't be in the crosshairs.

The laws in the area are important too. And, if we decide to do this, it might be wise to buy up land about an hour away from a small town, so that we still have access to a hospital, automotive, hardware store, etc. The compound idea could work for those who can't afford to buy anything and need more time, or those who can contribute but only a little. At least this way we're in the same area.

Does anyone know anything about the land/laws on the border between Oklahoma and Texas? I'm worried about moving to a frigidly cold area now that I have so many broken bones. I don't want to live out the rest of my life in constant pain during the winters.
    Deb it gets really cold in North Texas and Oklahoma in the winter and hot as hell in the summer. If its to be Texas IMO the Alpine area is more moderate but water might be a bit more scarce. Oh and N Tx/Ok...a big swath of that is in tornado alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Deb it gets really cold in North Texas and Oklahoma in the winter and hot as hell in the summer. If its to be Texas IMO the Alpine area is more moderate but water might be a bit more scarce. Oh and N Tx/Ok...a big swath of that is in tornado alley.
    Okay.

"Really cold" is subjective...

Length of cold is worthy of consideration too.

There's lots of gray beards and ponytails in the Ozarks, but the Ozarks is right square in the buckle of the bible belt too...

Depends more on area than anything...

There's areas of Tx and Ok that are nice and I don't find the weather oppressive..

There's lots of gray beards and ponytails in the Ozarks, but the Ozarks is right square in the buckle of the bible belt too...

There's areas of Tx and Ok that are nice and I don't find the weather oppressive..
    Well true winter doesn't last that long but north Texas gets snow and ice. Amarillo for example gets some of the same weather as Colorado. And the whole state has pretty long summers. Ie May through September.

Me no likey tornados. Any other suggestions? I was wondering about states that border other states. I'm not ruling out frigid cold winters, but it's not my first choice.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Southern Idaho?

Okay.
    You are soon going to find out why so Dam*ed many liberals moved to Cali and ruined the laws. We have one hell of a grand state geographically, and agriculturally and climatology wise. All the land requirements boxes get checked in a heartbeat here in Cali but it is the people and laws that wreak a great state.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Southern Idaho?
    Too dry. you want to be in lower to med section of the panhandle.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    You are soon going to find out why so Dam*ed many liberals moved to Cali and ruined the laws. We have one hell of a grand state geographically, and agriculturally and climatology wise. All the land requirements boxes get checked in a heartbeat here in Cali but it is the people and laws that wreak a great state.
    I know. I live in the best possible situation there is right now. We have land, a big house, small town in the mountains, only a few ways in. Perfect Jericho situation. Plus - it's Cali! Beaches, desert, snow, all within a 30-40 minute drive from our town. All around perfect climate. I was hoping to live my life out here.

jericho seems like a nice town.
    anyone have a nuclear fallout map?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

As to intentional communities, buy next to - yes. Good, but some of that should go to communal facilities. Consider:

If a bunch of ppl got together on an order from Waltons, a semi worth, the price drops big time. Especially shipping costs.

Consider your average suburban block. Every yahoo on the street has their own lawn mower. Most have a weed eater too. Why? If people pooled funds they could get a ride-able mower and a back hoe for whats invested in all this redundant stuff.

What about workshops? Every house has a similar number of tools. a hammer, a set of screw drivers, an electric drill and bits, a table saw... sure it's going to vary, but pooling fund would give an incredible shop. A machine shop, the ability to cast, welding several different ways, etc.

And a common gathering area, ideally with a cafeteria would go a long way. Meeting space, etc.

Most of us shoot. Would it be better to establish a shooting range that will catch bullets, or for each family to be shooting in their own back yard? With possible stray rounds trespassing onto neighbors land...

Separate, but together.

What I'd put at #1 priority would be some significant water running through the property so electricity could be generated via hydro-electric.

Access to Internet is another thing most people would want, but something that's going to be hard to find the farther out in the boonies it is.

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    Access to Internet is another thing most people would want, but something that's going to be hard to find the farther out in the boonies it is.
    They're pullin' subsidized fiber way out in the sticks.....

Depends on the area.

Quote Originally Posted by klamath View Post
    Too true.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They're pullin' subsidized fiber way out in the sticks.....

Depends on the area.
    They've been advertising what looks to be satellite internet for people who live in the sticks. I'll pay attention to the name next time.

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    As to intentional communities, buy next to - yes. Good, but some of that should go to communal facilities. Consider:

If a bunch of ppl got together on an order from Waltons, a semi worth, the price drops big time. Especially shipping costs.

-t
    Yup. This is what I said a few posts back.

Adjacent land good, full on communal bad.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast