Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: If we could buy 1000 acres or more, who would join us?

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Thanks man. I remember reading about this a few times. Originally a few years back I was going to move to NH. These days I'm thinking either Idaho or Montana since I want to either homestead on the cheap or maybe even go super cheap and just build a pithouse near a creek.
    I am the spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So did they ever buy 1,000 acres?
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Thanks man. I remember reading about this a few times. Originally a few years back I was going to move to NH. These days I'm thinking either Idaho or Montana since I want to either homestead on the cheap or maybe even go super cheap and just build a pithouse near a creek.
    I'm young and still in my 'career' prime... as such I'm kinda chained to a 'big city.' It is my dream to have some land in a rural area like Idaho, Montana, Eastern Washington/Oregon... hell I'd even take western parts of Wyoming and the Dakotas.... That's my retirement plan, anyway. Go full prepper with house/land in an area that would survive TEOTWAWKI
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I'm young and still in my 'career' prime... as such I'm kinda chained to a 'big city.' It is my dream to have some land in a rural area like Idaho, Montana, Eastern Washington/Oregon... hell I'd even take western parts of Wyoming and the Dakotas.... That's my retirement plan, anyway. Go full prepper with house/land in an area that would survive TEOTWAWKI
    I've lived in both WA and OR. I love the places and miss them sorely at times, but politically they suck. They are now run by progressives and the laws are slowly but surely tightening. I would avoid those states.

ID is a beautiful place and very conservative, so that might be a good choice. Never been to MT, so cannot really comment save to say the winters can be very rough. ND, IIRC, is a political $#@! hole. SD is far better, but again the winters are a bear. I love WY, so yeah... another good possibility.

All bias aside, I think WV would have been far and away the superior choice for the FSP. Most people here would be on board with the spirit of it. The country is gorgeous, it is not TOO far from civilization, low population of 1.8MM, low RE prices and taxes, except in a few places like Morgantown and Charleston, each dens of liberal iniquity.

We are on a modest 30 acres and pay about $300 in property tax. I can do anything I want on the land and nobody gives a $#@!. Cannot get away with this everywhere, but who wants to live in a place like Charleston? We were on 100 acres in Summers county and I could have lit a tactical nuke in the holler and nobody would have so much as noticed, much less cared.

Other reasons for WV: it is drug-ridden and has the highest per capita welfare recipiency in the nation, meaning it is ripe for improvement in those areas. Serious crime is very low here, such as murder and bank robbery, but petty crime is high. A neighbor got a flat on his trailer, parked it by Richadson's, drove just a couple miles home for a spare and when he got back, the trailer was gone.

It is arguably the most gun-friendly state in the nation with Constitutional Carry, no home-rule, castle- and stand-your-ground laws, and IIRC the highest proportion of Class III ownership in America.

Generally, the people here are friendly, very polite, mostly Christian but open minded and respectful of others' choices. They tend to be helpful. But there is also a lot of fat trash here. Nothing's quite perfect.

Huntington is a nice college town (Marshall U), as is Morgantown. Fairmont has entities like NASA and FBI operating there, so there are definitely upscale locales. Then there are town like Hinton, where we used to live, Logan, and Princeton, which are different worlds altogether.

A free state initiative in WV might work more readily than it has in NH as there are fewer entrenched progressive dumbasses to fight.

Just a thought.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    I've lived in both WA and OR. I love the places and miss them sorely at times, but politically they suck. They are now run by progressives and the laws are slowly but surely tightening. I would avoid those states.

ID is a beautiful place and very conservative, so that might be a good choice. Never been to MT, so cannot really comment save to say the winters can be very rough. ND, IIRC, is a political $#@! hole. SD is far better, but again the winters are a bear. I love WY, so yeah... another good possibility.

All bias aside, I think WV would have been far and away the superior choice for the FSP. Most people here would be on board with the spirit of it. The country is gorgeous, it is not TOO far from civilization, low population of 1.8MM, low RE prices and taxes, except in a few places like Morgantown and Charleston, each dens of liberal iniquity.

We are on a modest 30 acres and pay about $300 in property tax. I can do anything I want on the land and nobody gives a $#@!. Cannot get away with this everywhere, but who wants to live in a place like Charleston? We were on 100 acres in Summers county and I could have lit a tactical nuke in the holler and nobody would have so much as noticed, much less cared.

Other reasons for WV: it is drug-ridden and has the highest per capita welfare recipiency in the nation, meaning it is ripe for improvement in those areas. Serious crime is very low here, such as murder and bank robbery, but petty crime is high. A neighbor got a flat on his trailer, parked it by Richadson's, drove just a couple miles home for a spare and when he got back, the trailer was gone.

It is arguably the most gun-friendly state in the nation with Constitutional Carry, no home-rule, castle- and stand-your-ground laws, and IIRC the highest proportion of Class III ownership in America.

Generally, the people here are friendly, very polite, mostly Christian but open minded and respectful of others' choices. They tend to be helpful. But there is also a lot of fat trash here. Nothing's quite perfect.

Huntington is a nice college town (Marshall U), as is Morgantown. Fairmont has entities like NASA and FBI operating there, so there are definitely upscale locales. Then there are town like Hinton, where we used to live, Logan, and Princeton, which are different worlds altogether.

A free state initiative in WV might work more readily than it has in NH as there are fewer entrenched progressive dumbasses to fight.

Just a thought.
    once again I will never understand the logic behind choosing New Hampshire for the FSP.... just doesn't make sense. West Virginia would be beautiful. Idaho is on my list for later in life. Hell I might buy some property/land up there in the meantime just to have it in case of.....
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I did some minor searches for land in Idaho and Montana last night. Some can be bought for only $1,000-2000 an acre. That's what I'm looking for, but it has to have a creek and I'd like to be able to hunt game. Be as self sufficient as possible and use as little money as possible. So no property taxes would be a huge bonus.
    I am the spoon.

I did some minor searches for land in Idaho and Montana last night. Some can be bought for only $1,000-2000 an acre. That's what I'm looking for, but it has to have a creek and I'd like to be able to hunt game. Be as self sufficient as possible and use as little money as possible. So no property taxes would be a huge bonus.
    Let me know when you get it ready , the Mrs is nagging about a vacation .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Let me know when you get it ready , the Mrs is nagging about a vacation .
    Will do.
    I am the spoon.

‘Alien-infested’ ranch on the market for $5 million

An Arizona man has put his ranch up for sale — because he says he’s been harassed for years by aliens who even tried to abduct his wife, reports said.

John Edmonds, owner of the Stardust Ranch in Rainbow Valley, about an hour west of Phoenix, is a popular figure in the alien believers community and has publicized his purported encounters with extraterrestrials on Facebook, claiming it’s the reason he wants to sell his ranch, 12News TV reported.

“They actually levitated [my wife] out of the bed in the master chamber and carried her into the parking lot and tried to draw her up into the craft,” he said, according to the outlet. “This is why I want to move!”

He said that in the past 20 years, he has experienced many “strange events” involving aliens and claims to have killed more than a dozen extraterrestrials on his sprawling ranch.

http://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/201...5-million.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkBuddha View Post
    If I had 5 million laying around, I'd snap that place up in a minute. I always wanted to live somewhere that was haunted or weird in some way. At the very least, I want a secret passage.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Really? No unicorns?

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    If I had 5 million laying around, I'd snap that place up in a minute. I always wanted to live somewhere that was haunted or weird in some way. At the very least, I want a secret passage.
    I'm real big on that secret passage/room stuff too
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Really? No unicorns?
    Now, that's just crazy talk. Everyone knows unicorns are extinct.

Shoot, I bought the 15 acres behind us for $333/acre.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Wishing for some acreage now

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    I completely respect your stance. Moving somewhere remote with just our families and close friends remains an option.
    This is pretty much my plan if sh8t really gets bad. A small family group of people doesn't need 1000 acres and I already have family with ~200 acres of forest in a remote part of Kentucky with everything we need to survive: stocked pond, year-round grow house, and multiple shelters. My grandfather was a agriculture major in college, and he's been building his paradise for 30+ years there.

I'm going to remain in Kentucky. I may move further in towards the hills, but there is a lot of country here if you don't stick to the populated areas.

Home of rand paul and massie, the amish and their communities do well here too and are overlooked. Also it turns out my great x grandfather's revolution era farm isn't too far away.
    Last edited by SpiritOf1776_J4; 04-03-2020 at 11:22 AM.

When i first read this I didnt realize the original post was so many years ago... anyone still in CA want to try to spread freedom message?

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819