Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dems pitch national park on the moon

Dems pitch national park on the moon

Two House Democrats have proposed legislation that would establish a national historical park on the surface of the moon to mark where the Apollo missions landed between 1969 and 1972.

The bill from Reps. Donna Edwards (D-Md.) and Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas) would create the Apollo Lunar Landing Sites National Historical Park. The park would be comprised of all artifacts left on the surface of the moon from the Apollo 11 through 17 missions.
    The bill says these sites need to be protected because of the anticipated increase in commercial moon landings in the future.

"As commercial enterprises and foreign nations acquire the ability to land on the Moon, it is necessary to protect the Apollo lunar landing sites for posterity," according to the text of the Apollo Lunar Landing Legacy Act, H.R. 2617.

Under the legislation, the park would be established no later than one year after the bill passes and would be run jointly by the Department of the Interior and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).

The measure would allow the government to accept donations from companies and foreign governments to help manage the landing sites and "provide visitor services and administrative facilities within reasonable proximity to the Historical Park."

After one year, Interior and NASA would have to reach an agreement on how to manage the site, including how to monitor it, managing access to the sites and cataloguing the items in the park.

The government would also have to submit the Apollo 11 lunar landing site to the United Nations for designation as a World Heritage site.
    Both Edwards and Bernice Johnson are members of the House Science, Space, and Technology Committee. Bernice Johnson is the panel's ranking member.
    Edwards, the ranking member on the House Space Subcommittee, also proposed legislation on Monday to reauthorize NASA for three years. That bill, H.R. 2616, authorizes spending of $18.1 billion in 2014 for NASA, which rises to $18.9 billion in 2016.

Aside from boosting NASA's budget, the bill also sets as a goal a human mission to Mars and maintains a commitment to funding International Space Station operations through 2020.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...#ixzz2YeCVfAUt
    Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

So the moon is property of the Unites States. As one of the 95% of the humans not living in the US I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobexliberty View Post
    So the moon is property of the Unites States. As one of the 95% of the humans not living in the US I disagree.
    Drone alerted, expect vaporization shortly.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Drone alerted, expect vaporization shortly.

Not sure about that my friend.

Why not pack their happy asses in a rocket with ol' Newt and let 'em stake a claim?

Sorry folks due to sequester cuts there's not enough fuel for a return trip..

Where is Travlyr when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Why not pack their happy asses in a rocket with ol' Newt and let 'em stake a claim?

^^^^ LOL!

I'd sure like to see the contract proposals to do all that "on site" work...

And how did Edwards become the ranking member of that committee? She's new in Congress???

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    ^^^^ LOL!

I'd sure like to see the contract proposals to do all that "on site" work...

And how did Edwards become the ranking member of that committee? She's new in Congress???

-t
    Because she's a real "space cadet"??? (ducks and covers)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LOL The Simpsons is coming to life.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post

See that's what I don't get. Some people want to stop this. Why not pack them all up and ship their ass to the moon. Between that and all the gay sex there wont be any progressives left in a generation or two.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    LOL The Simpsons is coming to life.
    Doh!

Also can I apply to be park ranger? I'll only take a $500k salary and I'll monitor it from my computer on deck for any bears trying to steal picnic baskets.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Also can I apply to be park ranger? I'll only take a $500k salary and I'll monitor it from my computer on deck for any bears trying to steal picnic baskets.
    Sounds like a job my uncle Oyarde would enjoy as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

PRESIDENT OF THE MOON

These people seem to think we pay them to dream up useless ways to spend more money than we have to give in taxes. Useful for the Fed, I imagine, as they try to take a complete first mortgage on the entire nation, and nice for the contractors who contribute to their campaigns, but who else can't live without this crap?
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why not make Mars and Pluto National Parks as well? This is planetary discrimination.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Maybe they were just looking for a way to establish a precedent for breaking the Outer Space Treaty.

Well, then they better make a Hollywood soundstage a National Park since we all know that's where the moon landings really took place!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I am all for it as long as those Dem Rep's take all the Dem Senators there with them , one way.

Obummercare on the moon too for those $#@!s.

Well, you can visit the park.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    Well, you can visit the park.
    Or I can lead a spacearmy to make the moon Swedish property in the name of God.

Or I can lead a spacearmy to make the moon Swedish property in the name of God.
    Good luck with that.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Danan View Post
    Good luck with that.
    I bring out the viking ancestors of my countrymen and conquer the moon for the glory of Mother Svea!

I bring out the viking ancestors of my countrymen and conquer the moon for the glory of Mother Svea!
    I can picture it now...

I'm a-skeered!
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I can picture it now...

I'm a-skeered!
    May the wrath of Mother Svea be upon you.

May the wrath of Mother Svea be upon you.
    OH NOES!! Is that as bad as Valkyrie wrath?

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    OH NOES!! Is that as bad as Valkyrie wrath?
    You need to study history if you are serious.

You need to study history if you are serious.
    Or you could just answer the question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast