Thread: New study links wheat to weight gain and diabetes

New study links wheat to weight gain and diabetes

New study links wheat to weight gain and diabetes

Sayer Ji
    GreenMedInfo
    Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:30 CDT
    © GreenMedInfo

A new animal study published in the journal PLoS sheds light on a possible mechanism behind the weight- and diabetes-promoting properties of wheat observed in humans, and perhaps offers some vindication for Dr. William Davis' New York Times best-selling but heavily criticized book Wheat Belly, wherein the argument is made that wheat is a major contributing factor to the epidemic of obesity and diabetes presently afflicting wealthier, gluten-grain consuming nations.

In the new study, researchers from The Bartholin Institute, Copenhagen, Denmark, explored the role that gliadin, a difficult to digest class of proteins within wheat, plays in promoting weight gain and insulin secretion in both animal and cell models, finding that gliadin-treated mice gained 20% more weight (by day 100) than gliadin-free controls, and that gliadin fragments induce insulin secretion in pancreatic beta cells, the cells responsible for producing insulin, and which in type 1 diabetes are destroyed or rendered dysfunctional.

Gliadin does not break down easily in the body because they are extremely hydrophobic ("water fearing"), and contain disulfide bonds (the same kind found in human hair and vulcanized rubber);[1] as a result, undigested wheat gliadin fragments can enter through the intestinal wall, gaining systemic access to the human body. This can result in inflammatory and autoimmune conditions, among many other possible negative health effects (note: we have documented over 200 adverse health effects associated with wheat exposure).

Gliadin fragments have even been found in mother's milk, indicating they are capable of traveling freely throughout the body (not unlike another wheat toxin known as WGA), and can therefore affect the health of newborns. Indeed, the association between gluten consumption and conditions such as juvenile-onset type 1 diabetes is well established in the biomedical literature, with 11 studies on the topic indexed on GreenMedInfo.com alone: see Wheat Type 1 Diabetes Connection.

The researchers referenced previous experiments demonstrating a gluten-free diet lowers diabetes incidence in non-obese diabetic (NOD) mice from 64% for chow fed controls, to 15% for the gluten-free group,[2] with a further 6% reduction by keeping the mother on a gluten-free diet during pregnancy. [3]

While the new study did not find gliadin treatment "caused" type 1 diabetes, they did conclude that based on their observations of gliadin's weight-promoting and insulin secretion inducing effects "[G]liadin fragments may contribute to the beta-cell hyperactivity observed prior to the development of type 1 diabetes." They also described two implications of their findings: 1) gluten peptides may cause higher insulin secretion at basal glucose levels. 2) gluten peptides may lower the insulin response to glucose over time. In other words, gluten may contribute to the development and exacerbation of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, by causing both and/or either beta cell overstimulation and burn out (type 1) and insulin resistance (type 2).

The researchers describe a case of type 1 diabetes put into remission through a gluten-free diet:

"Observations implicate gluten's influences on the development of diabetes in humans. A particular compelling T1D case describes a patient, who remained healthy, devoid of insulin therapy for 36 months, after being prescribed a gluten-free diet at the time of T1D diagnosis. His stable fasting blood glucose levels at 5.8 mmol/l, indicate that a gluten-free diet may be a method to protect beta-cell function in patients. However, the protective effect remains to be tested in clinical trials of T1D patients. This gluten-free diet approach may enhance beta-cell rest, by circumventing gliadin-induced increase in beta-cell activity, which we have described in this study. "

The researchers also conclude that a "...gluten-free diet may also be beneficial in preserving beta-cell function in type 2 diabetes (T2D)."

This study, like many that have come before it, indicate that reducing and especially eliminating wheat and related gluten-containing grains from the diet is the best strategy for preventing the development of diabetes and weight gain associated with elevated insulin levels. Learn more about the dangers of wheat by reading the Dark Side of Wheat or exploring our Wheat and Gluten education page.

Also, consider that even after severe damage is done to the beta cells in the pancreas, resulting in type 1 diabetes, there are plenty of natural compounds that have been studied to stimulate beta cell regeneration, opening the door to natural alternatives to conventional treatment. Our recent article on the topic addresses this research in greater detail: 10 Natural Substances That Could Help Cure Type 1 Diabetes

References:
    [1] Ji, Sayer The Dark Side of Wheat: New Perspectives on Celiac Disease and Wheat Intolerance, 2008

[2] D P Funda, A Kaas, T Bock, H Tlaskalová-Hogenová, K Buschard. Gluten-free diet prevents diabetes in NOD mice. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 1999 Sep-Oct;15(5):323-7. PMID: 10585617

[3] David P Funda, Anne Kaas, Helena Tlaskalová-Hogenová, Karsten Buschard. Gluten-free but also gluten-enriched (gluten+) diet prevent diabetes in NOD mice; the gluten enigma in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2008 Jan-Feb;24(1):59-63. PMID: 17607660

Source:
    http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/new...n-and-diabetes
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Awesome! +rep. I know when I cut wheat out of my diet when I went on a paleo/primal style diet about 6 months ago, I lost a lot of weight, and stopped having the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome.

As a nursing student, I am disconcerted by the seeming lack of understanding of the causes of diabetes in the medical community. There appears to be an attitude that diabetes in incurable, and that the only treatment is insulin therapy. It is really a tragedy, especially since all of the evidence seems to indicate that diabetes can be prevented, controlled, and even eliminated by controlling your diet.

Bastards at Monsanto etc are very influential though, and don't want us to know this information!
    Last edited by Qdog; 06-30-2013 at 08:35 PM.

wealthier, gluten-grain consuming nations.
    Also consume a lot more sugars and fats and fewer fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean meats and be less physically active.

While the new study did not find gliadin treatment "caused" type 1 diabetes, they did conclude that based on their observations of gliadin's weight-promoting and insulin secretion inducing effects "[G]liadin fragments may contribute to the beta-cell hyperactivity observed prior to the development of type 1 diabetes." They also described two implications of their findings: 1) gluten peptides may cause higher insulin secretion at basal glucose levels. 2) gluten peptides may lower the insulin response to glucose over time. In other words, gluten may contribute to the development and exacerbation of both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, by causing both and/or either beta cell overstimulation and burn out (type 1) and insulin resistance (type 2).
    A possible factor but not necessarily THE cause.

i need a crust-less pizza...
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Wheat is GOOD for you! The USDA says so. Eat it! More! And while you are at it, eat some corn too - that $#@! is really piling up around here. And the soybeans. Really, the feedlot cattle can only eat so much of this crap. We need the American people to belly-up to the trough alongside them and shovel it down. It's good for you!
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

This study is grossly ignorant. The #1 prime cause of diabetes is vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    This study is grossly ignorant. The #1 prime cause of diabetes is vaccines.
    lolz
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    I've seen gluten-free pizzas at the store. The samples were pretty good. I'm not a big pizza person, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Also consume a lot more sugars and fats and fewer fresh fruits, vegetables, and lean meats and be less physically active.

A possible factor but not necessarily THE cause.
    Anything could be a possibility, nothings ever the cause. Also note the word "contribute"

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Wheat is GOOD for you! The USDA says so. Eat it! More! And while you are at it, eat some corn too - that $#@! is really piling up around here. And the soybeans. Really, the feedlot cattle can only eat so much of this crap. We need the American people to belly-up to the trough alongside them and shovel it down. It's good for you!
    THe USDA also says eat LESS. The portions that americans like eat are much bigger and fatter than the portion eaten before. Also, government scientists at the NIH, tend to be very very smart. My tip is, calculate the calories needed, or exercise. Do both if nessecery

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguinLibertarian View Post
    THe USDA also says eat LESS.
    Their lips say "less" but their huge subsidies say "MORE".
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

So much for the gubmint approved food pyramid. Food pyramid scam, just like the pyramid money scams, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I've seen gluten-free pizzas at the store. The samples were pretty good. I'm not a big pizza person, though.
    Dude, MEATZA....

1 lb. grass fed ground beef
    1 egg
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    3/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 tsp. oregano
    1/2 tsp. carraway seeds (VITAL for amazing pizza-like flavor!!)

Mix together, press flat into 9x13 pan like a crust, bake in pre-heated oven 450 degrees for 10 minutes

Pull it out and use a napkin to sop up a little bit of the greese around the edges

Put on your favorite pizza sauce, or make one with tomato paste, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, olive oil, water

Put on your favorite grass-fed grated cheese and toppings

Broil for about 5 minutes until desired done-ness
    Last edited by dannno; 07-02-2013 at 04:06 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenguinLibertarian View Post
    THe USDA also says eat LESS. The portions that americans like eat are much bigger and fatter than the portion eaten before. Also, government scientists at the NIH, tend to be very very smart. My tip is, calculate the calories needed, or exercise. Do both if nessecery
    Calories in calories out theory has been disproven.

Carbs are turned into fat, causes weight gain and eating them regularly will lead to diabetes over time. Optimally you should only have carbs that come from fresh fruit and veggies, a little raw honey if you want to sweeten something.

Eating healthy fats like grass fed, pastured and wild animals as well as seafood while limiting your carb intake significantly will lead to weight loss regardless of physical activity, although physical activity is absolutely healthy and vital to overall health, it's not necessary to lose weight. The easiest way to lose weight is to limit your carbs to about 50g / day, physical activity will speed up the process.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."