Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Two Large Meals a Day Tops Six Mini-Meals for Weight Loss

Exclamation Two Large Meals a Day Tops Six Mini-Meals for Weight Loss

Two Large Meals a Day Tops Six Mini-Meals for Weight Loss

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ight-loss.html

23 June 2013

Eating two large meals a day yielded more weight loss than consuming six mini-meals with the same number of calories, according to a study that challenges the common wisdom on appetite control.

Over 12 weeks, people with Type 2 diabetes who ate just breakfast and lunch lost an average of 1.23 points in body mass index, or BMI, compared with a loss of 0.82 point for those who ate six smaller meals of the same nutritional and energy content. The data, in a small study involving 54 patients, were presented today at the American Diabetes Association meeting in Chicago.

The study builds on previous results disproving the theory that eating more frequently improves weight loss. That pattern, thought to work because it helps control appetite, was shown to produce no more weight loss than three regular meals in a 2010 study published in the British Journal of Nutrition. The latest report eliminates one additional meal.

“Our results support the ancient proverb: ‘Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper,”’ Hana Kahleova, a researcher at the Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Prague, Czech Republic, said today in a presentation.

BMI is a measure of body fat based on height and weight. A BMI of 30 or higher in an adult is considered obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For someone who is 5 feet, 9 inches tall, a weight of 203 pounds has a BMI of 30. In today’s study, patients had an average BMI of 32.6.

Obesity’s Risks

More than a third of U.S. adults are obese, according to the CDC, putting them at greater risk for Type 2 diabetes. Losing 5 percent to 10 percent of body weight can confer benefits such as improved glucose tolerance, Robert Eckel, a professor of medicine at the University of Colorado Denver, said yesterday in a presentation at the ADA conference.

In today’s study, sponsored by the Czech Republic’s Ministry of Health, both the frequency of the meals and the timing were important, according to Kahleova. Eating earlier in the day -- just breakfast, between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m., and lunch, between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. -- is associated with better results than skipping breakfast, she said.

Two meals a day also led to a greater decrease in liver fat content and a bigger increase in insulin sensitivity than six smaller meals.

“Eating breakfast and lunch is more beneficial than skipping breakfast and eating lunch and dinner, because the fat deposition is bigger in the afternoon and after the evening meal,” Kahleova said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Meg Tirrell in New York at mtirrell@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Reg Gale at rgale5@bloomberg.net
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    so many people eat a big supper and that is the worst of 3 meals to make big. I prefer to get up, exercise, then eat a big breakfast, work, eat a decent lunch, work and then eat a small supper.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

What about second breakfast's?????

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    What about second breakfast's?????
    You Hobbit!

Traditional Southern culture has mid day as the largest meal, and we call it dinner. Supper is the evening meal which is lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by BAllen View Post
    You Hobbit!

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Two Large Meals a Day Tops Six Mini-Meals for Weight Loss

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ight-loss.html

23 June 2013

Eating two large meals a day yielded more weight loss than consuming six mini-meals with the same number of calories, according to a study that challenges the common wisdom on appetite control.

Over 12 weeks, people with Type 2 diabetes who ate just breakfast and lunch lost an average of 1.23 points in body mass index, or BMI, compared with a loss of 0.82 point for those who ate six smaller meals of the same nutritional and energy content. The data, in a small study involving 54 patients, were presented today at the American Diabetes Association meeting in Chicago.

The study builds on previous results disproving the theory that eating more frequently improves weight loss. That pattern, thought to work because it helps control appetite, was shown to produce no more weight loss than three regular meals in a 2010 study published in the British Journal of Nutrition. The latest report eliminates one additional meal.

“Our results support the ancient proverb: ‘Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper,”’ Hana Kahleova, a researcher at the Institute for Clinical and Experimental Medicine in Prague, Czech Republic, said today in a presentation.

BMI is a measure of body fat based on height and weight. A BMI of 30 or higher in an adult is considered obese, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For someone who is 5 feet, 9 inches tall, a weight of 203 pounds has a BMI of 30. In today’s study, patients had an average BMI of 32.6.

Obesity’s Risks

More than a third of U.S. adults are obese, according to the CDC, putting them at greater risk for Type 2 diabetes. Losing 5 percent to 10 percent of body weight can confer benefits such as improved glucose tolerance, Robert Eckel, a professor of medicine at the University of Colorado Denver, said yesterday in a presentation at the ADA conference.

In today’s study, sponsored by the Czech Republic’s Ministry of Health, both the frequency of the meals and the timing were important, according to Kahleova. Eating earlier in the day -- just breakfast, between 6 a.m. and 10 a.m., and lunch, between 12 p.m. and 4 p.m. -- is associated with better results than skipping breakfast, she said.

Two meals a day also led to a greater decrease in liver fat content and a bigger increase in insulin sensitivity than six smaller meals.

“Eating breakfast and lunch is more beneficial than skipping breakfast and eating lunch and dinner, because the fat deposition is bigger in the afternoon and after the evening meal,” Kahleova said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Meg Tirrell in New York at mtirrell@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Reg Gale at rgale5@bloomberg.net

Wow...but what about diabetics whose sugars levels surge from stress? Not eating on a schedule can cause stress and this stress will elevate their sugar levels--which in turn does damage to organs. This BMI crap really riles me up. There has been studies proving that grazing (throughout the day) on healthier more nutritionally enriched food works well for diabetics. Exercise is also the key to regulate diabetes.

Mineral replacement like-- chromium and vanadium are critical for people want to control diabetes and/or reverse it.

There is never a one-size-fits-all method, however, the above information has been successfully proven to work to help control diabetes and/or reverse diabetes. The individual needs to know what works for them.
    Last edited by donnay; 06-24-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Traditional Southern culture has mid day as the largest meal, and we call it dinner. Supper is the evening meal which is lighter.
    Yep! I think lunch is the most important actually because it's at mid day that the body uses the most calories. Sometimes, I eat fruit for a fast breakfast since it's best to eat fruit and vegetables on an empty stomach for optimum mineral/vitamin absorption.

Another option would be to combine breakfast and lunch (brunch) and then eat a decent supper—in addition to eating some fruit just before bed.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I'd like to see a similar study done on people that are relatively healthy.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I eat like a king at every meal. And I sometimes have an extra meal in between the others. I eat two meals in the morning, I eat two meals at night, I eat two meals in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I eat two meals in times of peace and two in times of war. I eat two meals before I eat two meals and then I eat two more.

It isn't when you eat or even how much you eat. It's WHAT you eat.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Mt grandfather worked shift work, so the biggest meal was the meal they ate when he was home. I always liked the big lunch, small dinner thing. But when the kids are at school and the adults are at work, dinner is often the only meal we eat together.
    Last edited by angelatc; 06-24-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I eat like a king at every meal. And I sometimes have an extra meal in between the others. I eat two meals in the morning, I eat two meals at night, I eat two meals in the afternoon, it makes me feel alright. I eat two meals in times of peace and two in times of war. I eat two meals before I eat two meals and then I eat two more.

I'm thinking that kings usually eat anything they want.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I'm thinking that kings usually eat anything they want.
    True. And I do. I no longer want food that is bad for me and I find healthy food to be delicious.

edit: And by this I do not intend to be endorsing monarchy.
    Last edited by Acala; 06-24-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

look up "intermittent fasting"

keeps me in amazing shape.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post

yes, what you eat matters.. but you are dead wrong about when and how much..

the oxidative stress from digesting food constantly has quite a profound effect on aging.
    Last edited by Kotin; 06-24-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post

the oxidative stress from digesting food constantly has quite a profound effect on aging.
    Thought it was just having fun with the lyrics of Smoke 2 Joints.

I smoke two joints in the morning
    I smoke two joints at night,
    I smoke two joints in the afternoon
    and it makes me feel alright
    I smoke two joints in time of peace
    and two in time of war
    smoke two joints before I smoke two joints
    and then I smoke two more
    http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bob+mar..._20644266.html

Where are you from that you don't know that song? Utah or something
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Have you tried paleo yet?

If you don't eat carbs, you can literally eat all the dietary fat you want (aka desire) and your body fat will still just melt right off.. it's nuts. Just make sure the dietary fat is grass fed, pastured meats, coconut oil, olive oil and wild seafood and you will have good health.
    Last edited by dannno; 06-24-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Have you tried paleo yet?

If you don't eat carbs, you can literally eat all the dietary fat you want (aka desire) and your body fat will still just melt right off.. it's nuts. Just make sure the dietary fat is grass fed, pastured meats, coconut oil, olive oil and wild seafood and you will have good health.

Paleo is too rigid and often promoted by people that I find unintelligent. Health science is like 80% of my life and free time and I am honestly tired of hearing from paleo people who don't know $#@! about science or medicine telling me that they know more about health than I.. And I'm not lumping you in there danno.. Just my experience with paleo people.

Paleo is too rigid and often promoted by people that I find unintelligent. Health science is like 80% of my life and free time and I am honestly tired of hearing from paleo people who don't know $#@! about science or medicine telling me that they know more about health than I.. And I'm not lumping you in there danno.. Just my experience with paleo people.

LOL - tell us how you really feel....

I have no interest in paleo either. People who are on it seem to get the same weird "gaunt" look that the lapband people get.

But I think it's great that so many people have found something that works for them. I just know it would not work for me. Like Julie Borowski, I"m never giving up mac and cheese. Not going to happen. If I have to die 3 days, months or years earlier - so be it.
    Last edited by angelatc; 06-24-2013 at 12:55 PM.

look up "intermittent fasting"

keeps me in amazing shape.
    I fast as well. But my fast days have to come after recovery periods from weight training so I am usually limited to one day a week.

Just my experience with paleo people.
    My experience with libertarians is that they are argumentative know-it-alls. But they are still right! :-)

And how old of a fellow are you, if I may ask?

LOL - tell us how you really feel....

I have no interest in paleo either. People who are on it seem to get the same weird "gaunt" look that the lapband people get.

But I think it's great that so many people have found something that works for them. I just know it would not work for me. Like Julie Borowski, I"m never giving up mac and cheese. Not going to happen. If I have to die 3 days, months or years earlier - so be it.
    How many have you seen? My diet is basically paleo, and I've gained weight since I started. (but gaining is my goal, so I eat more protein and veggies than most...I also built my exercise plan accordingly )

ETA: have you seen Lew lately? He's been on the paleo plan for quite some time now and doesn't look "gaunt" to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    How many have you seen? My diet is basically paleo, and I've gained weight since I started. (but gaining is my goal, so I eat more protein and veggies than most...I also built my exercise plan accordingly )

ETA: have you seen Lew lately? He's been on the paleo plan for quite some time now and doesn't look "gaunt" to me.
    No, but the Judge is one of the people I was thinking of.

Wow, I mean, there are a few paleo people who are only paleo because they have been carnivores their whole life and are kind of maybe from the 'meathead' variety but for the most part I've not had that experience. Where have you talked to paleo people besides this site? This is one of the few places I've had discussions on paleo, I don't think you'd be talking down about paleo people on this forum like that? A lot of the more intelligent people on this forum are primal/paleo oriented so you should be careful.

Mark Scisson was getting a lot of attention on here the last few years, he is into a less rigid form of paleo called Primal Blueprint. He will say you can eat raw dairy if it works with your system, and it is ok to have a little rice sometimes (i.e. sushi). The guy is VERY GOOD on health science, extremely intelligent. He backs up his opinions with some of the most hardcore health science I've ever seen, most of the time. He also says try to eat paleo/primal at least 80% of the time, so there is not much rigidity there. I still don't like the vibe that some paleo people put off, including Mark to some extent, acting like vegetarians are the polar enemy rather than the standard american diet.. I see paleo/primal as an advanced form of vegetarianism, it is better for your health and better for the environment. Standard American Diet is on the bottom of the ladder imo.

When I was on the Standard American Diet before I was veg, I was 65 lbs. overweight.. that's because I was loading up on carbs and eating a good amount of dietary fat on top of that.

As far as being rigid, I don't have a rigid diet at all, I will eat anything including things that are not paleo/primal. So it's more like a philosophy. My diet is much less rigid now than it was when I was primarily vegetarian. But when I prepare my own meals at home, like for breakfast, I will have steak, bacon and eggs or an egg burger or something along those lines. Huge breakfast, tons of good healthy fats, I do feel better than when I was veg, I do have more energy and it is easier to maintain my weight. I don't get tired in the afternoon, my insulin levels and insulin resistance have vastly improved.

There really is something to eating good healthy fats and really laying off the carbs, except for organic fresh fruit and veggies. I'm pretty sure if I didn't change my diet when I was 19, I would have had type 2 diabetes by age 25 from the standard american diet and if I didn't go from veg to primal last year I probably would have gotten type 2 diabetes in the next 5 to 10 years from my veg diet.. I can tell when my insulin resistance starts to slip I think, and that is one of the reasons I decided to try paleo in the first place.

You know what grains are good for? They are good for when you are starving or if you are really poor, they are cheap and store great, keep them in your food storage. Same with legumes. They are both ok on occasion, if your body can handle them, preferably in whole grain form. But they really aren't optimal or very good for longterm use for your health because they will screw with your insulin resistance after time.

I think somewhere in the Bible or maybe it is LDS Doctrine, it says something about wheat being the 'staff of life'. Well, what is a 'staff' for? It's to help keep you up walking and balanced when you're old or weak. It's like a crutch. You don't use a staff to hunt, you use a spear or an arrow. You use a staff when you're traveling long distances. So I see grains as a good backup. We should know about them, know how to cook and handle them, know how our bodies handle them, etc, in case of an emergency, but it should not be the entire basis of our diet imo.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post

The thing about paleo is if you really aren't eating carbs and you are completely sedentary, you can get VERY VERY skinny... CONVERSELY, it doesn't take very much effort at all to put on good lean muscle. Much less effort than other diets, imo. My roommate was pretty sedentary and actually gained weight when he became paleo, but it was all muscle, and he didn't even work out.. Just whatever he did around the house, occasional hike or moving things..
    Last edited by dannno; 06-24-2013 at 01:41 PM.

No, but the Judge is one of the people I was thinking of.
    The Judge looks gaunt to you?? Thin bony and sickly looking?? I'm pretty sure he's just losing weight and maybe doesn't have the tightest skin... I'm sure his health and energy levels have vastly improved.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Wow...but what about diabetics whose sugars levels surge from stress? Not eating on a schedule can cause stress and this stress will elevate their sugar levels--which in turn does damage to organs. This BMI crap really riles me up. There has been studies proving that grazing (throughout the day) on healthier more nutritionally enriched food works well for diabetics. Exercise is also the key to regulate diabetes.

Mineral replacement like-- chromium and vanadium are critical for people want to control diabetes and/or reverse it.

There is never a one-size-fits-all method, however, the above information has been successfully proven to work to help control diabetes and/or reverse diabetes. The individual needs to know what works for them.
    Diabetics have different needs than healthy people. For a healthy person, your pancreas stores insulin between meals. The stored insulin is released immediately after a carbohydrate meal. Then the pancreas begins to produce and release more insulin. It takes 3 hours for insulin to peak after eating carbohydrates. While insulin levels are high you are in fat storage mode converting sugar into fat as fast as possible and burning very little stored fat. The longer you wait between carbohydrate meals the longer the pancreas has to rest and rebuild its insulin stores for the next round.

The body is designed to produce the vast majority of its energy from fat. There can only be about 1 teaspoon of sugar in your blood (all carbs except fiber, which is indigestable, are converted to sugar) at any time. The body is only about 1 per cent carbohydrate and carbohydrate stores will provide less than one day's worth of energy.

While diabetics may need to eat meals containing carbs throughout the day, for healthy people that will just cause diabetes.
    Last edited by sratiug; 06-24-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Wow, I mean, there are a few paleo people who are only paleo because they have been carnivores their whole life and are kind of maybe from the 'meathead' variety but for the most part I've not had that experience. Where have you talked to paleo people besides this site? This is one of the few places I've had discussions on paleo, I don't think you'd be talking down about paleo people on this forum like that? A lot of the more intelligent people on this forum are primal/paleo oriented so you should be careful.

Mark Scisson was getting a lot of attention on here the last few years, he is into a less rigid form of paleo called Primal Blueprint. He will say you can eat raw dairy if it works with your system, and it is ok to have a little rice sometimes (i.e. sushi). The guy is VERY GOOD on health science, extremely intelligent. He backs up his opinions with some of the most hardcore health science I've ever seen, most of the time. He also says try to eat paleo/primal at least 80% of the time, so there is not much rigidity there. I still don't like the vibe that some paleo people put off, including Mark to some extent, acting like vegetarians are the polar enemy rather than the standard american diet.. I see paleo/primal as an advanced form of vegetarianism, it is better for your health and better for the environment. Standard American Diet is on the bottom of the ladder imo.

When I was on the Standard American Diet before I was veg, I was 65 lbs. overweight.. that's because I was loading up on carbs and eating a good amount of dietary fat on top of that.

As far as being rigid, I don't have a rigid diet at all, I will eat anything including things that are not paleo/primal. So it's more like a philosophy. My diet is much less rigid now than it was when I was primarily vegetarian. But when I prepare my own meals at home, like for breakfast, I will have steak, bacon and eggs or an egg burger or something along those lines. Huge breakfast, tons of good healthy fats, I do feel better than when I was veg, I do have more energy and it is easier to maintain my weight. I don't get tired in the afternoon, my insulin levels and insulin resistance have vastly improved.

There really is something to eating good healthy fats and really laying off the carbs, except for organic fresh fruit and veggies. I'm pretty sure if I didn't change my diet when I was 19, I would have had type 2 diabetes by age 25 from the standard american diet and if I didn't go from veg to primal last year I probably would have gotten type 2 diabetes in the next 5 to 10 years from my veg diet.. I can tell when my insulin resistance starts to slip I think, and that is one of the reasons I decided to try paleo in the first place.

You know what grains are good for? They are good for when you are starving or if you are really poor, they are cheap and store great, keep them in your food storage. Same with legumes. They are both ok on occasion, if your body can handle them, preferably in whole grain form. But they really aren't optimal or very good for longterm use for your health because they will screw with your insulin resistance after time.

I think somewhere in the Bible or maybe it is LDS Doctrine, it says something about wheat being the 'staff of life'. Well, what is a 'staff' for? It's to help keep you up walking and balanced when you're old or weak. It's like a crutch. You don't use a staff to hunt, you use a spear or an arrow. You use a staff when you're traveling long distances. So I see grains as a good backup. We should know about them, know how to cook and handle them, know how our bodies handle them, etc, in case of an emergency, but it should not be the entire basis of our diet imo.
    Mark Sisson is GAUNT:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sisson.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	1910

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast