Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Bolton being pushed to run for president, neocons alarmed by Rand Paul's rapid ascent

John Bolton being pushed to run for president, neocons alarmed by Rand Paul's rapid ascent

Bolton Plans a Tour of Early-Primary States

By Robert Costa
    June 24, 2013 8:07 PM

Watch out, Rand Paul.

As Paul, a Kentucky senator, plans for a 2016 presidential run, he is talking up his views on foreign policy, which, broadly speaking, include less intervention in foreign conflicts and a smaller military budget.

But Paul’s positions and rapid ascent have alarmed many Republican hawks. Behind the scenes, they’re worried that he has a shot at the nomination.

Enter John Bolton. Bolton, a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, is being encouraged by several leading conservative power brokers to consider a presidential bid.

Bolton, who briefly considered running for president in 2012, hasn’t made up his mind. But sources tell me that he is moving closer to giving the idea serious consideration — serious enough to travel to Iowa and New Hampshire.

read more:
    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...s-robert-costa

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wouldn't that just give Rand an even better chance to win the GOP nomination since it would further dilute the neocon/establishment vote?

thats a joke right? bolton is an old geezer rubio. maybe they are worried rubio is slipping.

On the American Conservative, the author said this regarding the story:

A Bolton campaign would have absolutely nothing new or relevant to say to most primary voters on the domestic issues that matter most to them, and Bolton’s hard-line foreign policy views would be an added drag to a candidacy that has no more reason to exist that Giuliani’s ill-fated 2008 bid. As an added bonus, a Bolton campaign would siphon off a little support from one or more of the slightly more credible hard-liners in the field. That would deprive Rubio or Santorum or whoever of some votes, and that in turn would make it easier for someone like Paul to prevail. On top of all this, Bolton has no experience campaigning or serving in elected office, so he would be a uniquely poor standard-bearer for the cause of hard-line foreign policy. Republican primary voters would reject a Bolton candidacy, and I imagine they would do overwhelmingly.
    Doesn't hurt to keep an eye on it, though.

http://www.theamericanconservative.c...nning-in-2016/

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Wouldn't that just give Rand an even better chance to win the GOP nomination since it would further dilute the neocon/establishment vote?
    Perhaps, though I would worry he would have the intellectual ability to make Rand look horrible on foreign policy.

In any case, nobody wants an old, white, war candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by TaftFan View Post
    Perhaps, though I would worry he would have the intellectual ability to make Rand look horrible on foreign policy.

In any case, nobody wants an old, white, war candidate.
    I don't think so. Rand can hold his own on foreign policy issues. Bolton is smart and has a lot of knowledge on foreign policy issues, but so does Rand. Rand isn't just some naive no nothing on foreign policy issues.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My fear is that just like Rand was pushed on the CRA and backed down, he will be pushed on foreign policy on cave.

Oh God. Kill me now.

face it establishment
    its
    RAND16!

OR NOTHING

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    My fear is that just like Rand was pushed on the CRA and backed down, he will be pushed on foreign policy on cave.
    He better not. He wont be nominated running as Rubio lite.

The establishment is clearly desperate...trotting out John Bolton as the anti-Paul is the best thing for us ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Oh God. Kill me now.
    x2
    "Power tends to confuse itself with virtue...conferring upon it a special responsibility for other nations—to make them richer and happier and wiser, to remake them, that is, in its own shining image. Power confuses itself with virtue and tends also to take itself for omnipotence. Once imbued with the idea of a mission, a great nation easily assumes that it has the means as well as the duty to do God's work." - William Fulbright

Really, that's the best they can do?

Seriously, who? Can they possibly go any more stale than that, he'll generate as much excitement as moldy milk in a cereal dish.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is the only thing John Bolton will EVER be president of...

For some reason, the phrase "stalking horse" comes to mind ...

Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law." - The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      - Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      - Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·
    MOFA (Make Orwell Fiction Again)

Quote Originally Posted by Sola_Fide View Post
    '

Hopefully not...
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Interesting move (if they make it). He wouldn't have a prayer of winning unless something crazy happens here and people start worrying more seriously about terrorism, then he might be able to appeal as a candidate who is "serious" about national security.

But if he were in the race he might force Rand to back off of his more dovish foreign policy positions.

Even though Bolton is evil I have to give him at least a slight bit of begrudging respect because he's not afraid to go into the lion's den and debate foreign policy with non-interventionists. The strategy of 99% of neocons for "defending" their FP positions is to avoid debate.

John Bolton?? Somebody just shoot me please...

Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    But if he were in the race he might force Rand to back off of his more dovish foreign policy positions.
    Why? What "dovish" foreign policy positions has Rand even taken? He's voted for all of the sanctions on Iran and has said that the military option should remain on the table. The fact that the GOP establishment is so scared of Rand just shows that they're still extreme interventionists. Rand simply supports a moderate, middle of the road foreign policy.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by economics102 View Post
    Interesting move (if they make it). He wouldn't have a prayer of winning unless something crazy happens here and people start worrying more seriously about terrorism, then he might be able to appeal as a candidate who is "serious" about national security.

I don't think we'll have to worry about that. Not even the Boston bombing derailed Rand's popularity, especially with the drone filibuster and the NSA/IRS stuff happening. Syria intervention could make things worse for the neoconservatives.

Bolton would never be considered for president. Maybe the establishment just wants someone who can handle a real debate with Rand on foreign policy. Then Rubio, or whoever else is on stage, will just agree with Bolton and get all neocon votes.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Why? What "dovish" foreign policy positions has Rand even taken? He's voted for all of the sanctions on Iran and has said that the military option should remain on the table. The fact that the GOP establishment is so scared of Rand just shows that they're still extreme interventionists. Rand simply supports a moderate, middle of the road foreign policy.
    Foreign policy is much more than politicizing the killing brown of people abroad though. Much more.

Do you know what the biggest weakness is regarding foreign policy with conservatives, neocons and libertarians? I'll tell you. They get entirely too comfortable with the terms of controversy.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 06-24-2013 at 08:53 PM.

if he related to michael bolton?

But sources tell me that he is moving closer to giving the idea serious consideration — serious enough to travel to Iowa and New Hampshire.

Later this year and throughout 2014, the former Reagan and Bush official will begin an informal national tour. He’ll give speeches, huddle with GOP leaders, and push back against the party’s libertarian shift.
    That doesn't make any sense. Don't pro-liberty folks have a lot of power in the IAGOP? I know my friends have a lot of power in NH. I guess I'll be huddling up with Bolton, then. I wonder what we will talk about?
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast