Thread: Rand Paul: I’m a ‘No’ On Gang of Eight Bill

Rand Paul: I’m a ‘No’ On Gang of Eight Bill

Rand Paul: I’m a ‘No’ On Gang of Eight Bill

By Eliana Johnson
    June 23, 2013 10:15 AM

Rand Paul announced on Sunday that he will vote against the Gang of Eight’s immigration bill because it does not sufficiently secure the Southern border.

“I’m like most conservatives in the country in that I think reform should be dependent on border security first,” Paul said, noting that he introduced a bill that was voted down that would have given Congress that power to vote on whether the border is in fact secure. “To me what really tells me that they’re serious would be letting Congress vote on whether the border is secure. If the people in the country want to be assured that we will not get another ten million people to come here illegally over the next decade, they have to believe that they get a vote through their Congress. If this is a done deal once the bill is over…I don’t think we’ll really get a truly secure border.”

The Senate this week will vote on both the Corker-Hoeven amendment, a last-minute attempt by Republicans to strengthen the border-security measures in the Gang of Eight’s bill, and the Gang’s bill itself.

Paul, an advocate of immigration reform, went on to say that the bill will undoubtedly pass the Senate, but that it’s “dead on arrival” in the Republican-controlled House.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...eliana-johnson
    Last edited by jct74; 06-23-2013 at 08:35 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Thank god, same feeling here. Rubio has now ruined his chance of winning the primary if this bill passes. But I still fear once the house rejects the bill they will go back to Rand and pass his amendments for his vote which will be very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian101 View Post
    Rubio has now ruined his chance of winning the primary if this bill passes.
    Romneycare didn't stop Romney.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.

Quote Originally Posted by ObiRandKenobi View Post
    Romneycare didn't stop Romney.

Never underestimate the stupidity of the electorate.
    Sad, but true. All he needs to do is to condemn abortion and bark in the general direction of Iran, China or Russia and the geezers who watch Fox News will accept him as a Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by JCDenton0451 View Post
    Sad, but true. All he needs to do is to condemn abortion and bark in the general direction of Iran, China or Russia and the geezers who watch Fox News will accept him as a Conservative.
    FREEDOM! THE TERRORISTS HATE US BECAUSE OF OUR FREEDOMS! will probably bring the GOP establishment-packed debate halls to their feet.

Not enough. will he vote for or against cloture? thats the real vote. a no vote after that means nothing. as far as going to the house we all know ryan and boehner are up rubios backside.

FREEDOM! THE TERRORISTS HATE US BECAUSE OF OUR FREEDOMS! will probably bring the GOP establishment-packed debate halls to their feet.
    Yeah, the terrorists hate us because of our freedoms, which somehow means that we have to give up our freedoms to keep ourselves safe from terrorism.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, the terrorists hate us because of our freedoms, which somehow means that we have to give up our freedoms to keep ourselves safe from terrorism.

tomorrow night is the biggest vote of rand pauls career. yes or no on cloture. if he votes to end debate he has voted for the bill, regardless if he votes no later.

Quote Originally Posted by helenpaul View Post
    tomorrow night is the biggest vote of rand pauls career. yes or no on cloture. if he votes to end debate he has voted for the bill, regardless if he votes no later.
    Um, he said that he'll vote against closure.

Seeing as how much immigration is a front and center issue now, I honestly doubt most of the Republicans who vote Yes, Rubio especially, will suffer in the polls or be hit hard come midterm election time.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian101 View Post
    Thank god, same feeling here. Rubio has now ruined his chance of winning the primary if this bill passes. But I still fear once the house rejects the bill they will go back to Rand and pass his amendments for his vote which will be very bad.
    No they won't and it wouldn't be bad even if they did. They don't want to do anything about the border, which is why they have let it be overrun for years.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    Seeing as how much immigration is a front and center issue now, I honestly doubt most of the Republicans who vote Yes, Rubio especially, will suffer in the polls or be hit hard come midterm election time.
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. I just saw a poll with some ridiculous numbers of 80-90% of Americans who support a path to citizenship for illegals. It doesn't look like this is even going to hurt Rubio in the Republican primary.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. I just saw a poll with some ridiculous numbers of 80-90% of Americans who support a path to citizenship for illegals. It doesn't look like this is even going to hurt Rubio in the Republican primary.
    Which begs the question why some folks here think that Paul voting 'Yes' on the bill will make or break him when it won't even affect his colleagues in the Senate. Not saying he should vote for it, but if other Senate Republicans are not going to be hurt by voting 'Yes,' why would he?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nah, they will have forgotten all about it by then. Unfortunately.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by JCDenton0451 View Post
    Sad, but true.

Even when I was young(er), stupid, and hawkish, I still understood the nonsense of the modern Republican view, as you have expressed here.

Heck, if the terrorists "Hate us for our freedom", then we will absolutely never have another 9/11... And they probably love us now...
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

You mean like the 90% that supported national gun control bills? Stop paying attention to stupid polls. They're designed to form opinion, not report it.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

The entire internet is the domain of paid shills and bots. If you don't know this by now....

Israel, under control of the Crown and, ultimately, the Vatican, own the USA. If you don't know this by now....

Talk to people about liberty. You won't find it on websites, you won't find it in politicians.

Visiting the Outer Banks of NC?
    Outer Banks NC Fishing Boat Rentals

Which begs the question why some folks here think that Paul voting 'Yes' on the bill will make or break him when it won't even affect his colleagues in the Senate. Not saying he should vote for it, but if other Senate Republicans are not going to be hurt by voting 'Yes,' why would he?

because rand needs the base and he also needs to get young people out who normally wouldnt vote. being rubio lite would be a disaster for rand.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

It's all in the wording. Path to citizenship isn't really explained.