Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My speech on proposed ordinance on synthetic drugs

My speech on proposed ordinance on synthetic drugs

At my next council meeting we will be debating an ordinance on synthetic drugs so I wrote a speech I intend to give.

This is the first draft:

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm fairly certain that all of us agree that synthetic drug usage is harmful and has the potential to be fatal and I am also confident that every one of us would discourage people from using these drugs. To me, the discussion we are having and the reason I'm opposing this ordinance isn't the issue of synthetic drugs or the effects of using those drugs but rather, the discussion we should be having is the issue of Liberty.

In the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution, it states: "We the People of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

Liberty is once again mentioned in Section 1 of Amendment 14 of the U.S. Constitution when it states, "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The Declaration of Independence states, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Following the American War of Independence, the Treaty of Paris was signed in 1783 that officially recognized the United States as an independent nation. In that Treaty, Liberty is mentioned multiple times, in Articles 3, 5, 6, and 7.

In 1863, President Abraham Lincoln gave one of the most significant speeches in U.S. History, The Gettysburg Address. In this speech, President Lincoln begins, "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal."

In 1892, Francis Bellamy wrote a short pledge as a simple statement of loyalty and in 1942, Congress formally adopted his pledge to the flag and nation, the Pledge of Allegiance. At the beginning of every Council meeting, we stand and recite this Pledge; "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all."

On August 28, 1963, in one of the most famous speeches of all time, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. states in his "I Have A Dream" speech, "When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the unalienable rights to life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

The issue I have with this ordinance is not one of synthetic drugs but liberty, the same liberty that I've just quoted from many sources of historical significance. So what exactly is Liberty? The definition of liberty states: " Freedom from arbitrary or despotic government or control. Freedom from external or foreign rule; independence. Freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions, etc.; power or right of doing, thinking, speaking, etc., according to choice. Freedom from captivity, confinement, or physical restraint."

Liberty.

We all have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

With that, we all have the liberty to come up with our own set of morals, beliefs, principles, thoughts and opinions but in the exercising of our liberty, we are not allowed to violate the liberties of others and force them to abide by our views. A vegetarian, who believes that eating meat is a horrific act, chooses to exercise his or her liberty and avoid the consuming of meat. This same vegetarian, can not, through legislation, violate the liberties of others and force the people who enjoy eating meat to no longer have the liberty to do just that. That also means that those who enjoy meat can not violate the liberty of the vegetarian by passing legislation mandating that they eat meat.

At this point, I'm sure some are questioning my analogy and thinking, "you can't possibly be comparing the act of eating vegetables or meat to that of using synthetic drugs?" I agree, the effects of vegetable consumption are far different from that of smoking synthetic marijuana, and I would never try to compare the two. While the objects in the analogy and in this ordinance, food and drugs, are different, the main issue is the same and that is Liberty. In both cases, one person or group are attempting to violate the liberty of another person or group and this is wrong.

There is no gray area in regards to liberty, liberty is a black or white issue. You either have liberty and freedom or you don't. I feel it would be extremely arrogant of us to think that we are somehow more intelligent, more mature and more capable of making your choices for you than you are. The government isn't here to run your life from cradle to grave and the notion that we, as elected officials, need to pass legislation to protect you from you, in my opinion is absurd. We all make choices for ourselves and with those choices come consequences. Sometimes those choices turn out okay but other times those choices don't work out, that's how it goes with liberty and freedom.

Every one of us up here, swore an oath to uphold the U.S Constitution and with that oath we are to defend the liberties of the citizens we were elected to represent. At the beginning of every Council meeting, we stand up and pledge our allegiance to the flag and with that, we pledge to defend "liberty and justice for all."

I ask that the Mayor and my fellow councilors stand with me in opposition to this ordinance. I ask that they stand by their oath to the U.S. Constitution and the principles of liberty it was written to protect. I ask that they stand by their pledge to the flag and the republic for which it stands and defend "Liberty and justice for all."

I know very well that the stance I'm taking, in opposition to this ordinance, may well have a negative effect on me. But I'm okay with that. I will always stand by my principles, the principles of freedom and liberty, not only for myself but for others and if standing by those principles causes harm to my reputation, than it's worth it because your liberty is more important.

---------------------------------------------------------

Any thoughts or suggestions?

- ML

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    expect a good turnout to the meeting?
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    expect a good turnout to the meeting?
    No. It'll probably be just those of us on the council, the mayor, attorney, administrator, secretary, and perhaps one or two people in the audience. So I figure, somewhere between 8-10 people.

- ML

go talk to all the smoke shops and gas station owners who sell the stuff, rally them to go to the meeting

What is the speech in relation to? What is the ordinance and what is synthetic marijuana?

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    What is the speech in relation to? What is the ordinance and what is synthetic marijuana?
    Our city council is proposing an ordinance to outlaw the use of synthetic drugs, similar to what a neighboring city has recently passed. Here is an article that describes that ordinance: http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...210945381.html

- ML

I have to say I am anti K2 and all the synthetics they are a product of the failed war on drugs

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    go talk to all the smoke shops and gas station owners who sell the stuff, rally them to go to the meeting
    Great idea!

If you're facing a council meeting like those I've experienced, you'll be speaking to a group of people whose minds are already made up on the issue. Getting lots of folks there to support you and turn up the heat may be the only way to turn things around.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ML, I think you should drop the last paragraph. Don't end on a negative (or less than confident in your position) note.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post
    Our city council is proposing an ordinance to outlaw the use of synthetic drugs, similar to what a neighboring city has recently passed. Here is an article that describes that ordinance: http://www.northlandsnewscenter.com/...210945381.html

- ML
    Thanks.

Several councilors say these actions send a message that the city is doing something to address what they see as a major problem in downtown Duluth.

I'm in favor of local control, but I hope you win over.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post

Well, as to the last part of the question:

http://www.drugs.com/synthetic-marijuana.html
    Synthetic marijuana is a designer drug in which herbs, incense or other leafy materials are sprayed with lab-synthesized liquid chemicals to mimic the effect of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive ingredient in the naturally grown marijuana plant (cannabis sativa). Synthetic marijuana, also known by the name of “Spice” or “K2” first became available in the U.S. in 2008. It was frequently marketed as an incense in colorful three ounce pouches and labeled “not for human consumption”. Spice or K2 became increasingly popular with high school students and young adults because it was legally obtainable from convenience stores, smoke shops, and online - until July 2012 when a national ban was enacted against the sale of synthetic cannabinoids in the U.S.
    As CaseyJones just mentioned, these are products (or blowback, or unintended consequences, take yer pick) of the insane "War on Drugs." By depriving the market of the much safer genuine marijuana, these artificial formulas began popping up to fill the demand. Basic market economics. But everything I've read and heard about the stuff sounds scary. I wouldn't touch it myself... BUT... I don't like the idea of the state mandating what I (or others) can or can't ingest.

Oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc... are semisynthetic drugs.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    ML, I think you should drop the last paragraph. Don't end on a negative (or less than confident in your position) note.
    Thanks.... that's why I posted it here before I give the speech. I want to make sure everything looks and sounds good. You're right about the last paragraph, it isn't really needed and I may drop it. I put it in for those who may be watching the meeting on public access television, not for my colleagues. But, you're right, at the point in which I state it, it makes it appear that I've already accepted defeat.

I appreciate all opinions on this, if anyone has a suggestion on something I should add, delete, edit or re-word, please let me know.

Thanks.

- ML

Watch yourself mundane, those are STATE approved.

Very true.

Not to derail the thread, but I've been prescribed both of those after different surgeries and neither of them did the slightest bit of good. Just made my head feel fuzzy. Maybe I have something quirky in my physiology, but I simply can't see how anyone could become addicted to them. As far as painkilling effect goes, they're not any better than a bottle of frickin' Tylenol.

Thanks.... that's why I posted it here before I give the speech. I want to make sure everything looks and sounds good. You're right about the last paragraph, it isn't really needed and I may drop it. I put it in for those who may be watching the meeting on public access television, not for my colleagues. But, you're right, at the point in which I state it, it makes it appear that I've already accepted defeat.

I appreciate all opinions on this, if anyone has a suggestion on something I should add, delete, edit or re-word, please let me know.

Thanks.

- ML
    I certainly couldn't improve on it. I hope others will chime in that may be able to. + rep on the speech.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Naturally derived medications are vastly superior to synthetics.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Supporting Member
    Michigan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Very true.

Not to derail the thread, but I've been prescribed both of those after different surgeries and neither of them did the slightest bit of good. Just made my head feel fuzzy. Maybe I have something quirky in my physiology, but I simply can't see how anyone could become addicted to them. As far as painkilling effect goes, they're not any better than a bottle of frickin' Tylenol.
    KC, here is my science rant for the night... then off to bed.

Those drugs might not work to well with you because some people have a genetic inability to metabolize certain opioids. This is for a variety of reasons, including genetic variants that control for the range of opioid receptors and subtle differences in the shape of the receptor-binders of opioids. These alterations play a part in influencing response to opioids in terms of efficacy and tolerability.
    The metabolic variability can also be based on lack of certain enzymes, (the enxymes CYP3A4 and CYP2D6). The lack of either of these enzymes can alter or impair response to oxycodone. An estimated 5% to 10% of white people possess genetic variants of the CYP2D6 gene.

I'm just a mere internet guy who hasn't been elected to anything other than a delegate, so just take this advice for whatever it's worth. Whatever you end up doing will be great.

I assume the ordinance is "for the children". So maybe your speech could take the position that the city council is attempting to replace the role of parents. For example:

"While we all would ban these synthetic drugs and other substances in our own homes, we have to realize that we are not the parents of the city. We are merely servants bound by the rules in the State and US Constitutions. While some citizens may see us as a parental authority figure, we simply are not. By passing this ordinance, we are essentially taking over the role of parents by using force to prevent poor decisions. I am not interested in replacing parents, I'm here to <insert platform here>"

Something like that. Would you be comfortable (or able) to propose a "sense of the council" resolution where you simply condemn synthetic drugs and their use in your town instead of an actual ordinance?

Hope this was helpful. I think it's really cool you're able to defend liberty even if just on the local level.
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    Naturally derived medications are vastly superior to synthetics.
    +rep
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by KEEF View Post
    Those drugs might not work to well with you because some people have a genetic inability to metabolize certain opioids. This is for a variety of reasons, including genetic variants that control for the range of opioid receptors and subtle differences in the shape of the receptor-binders of opioids. These alterations play a part in influencing response to opioids in terms of efficacy and tolerability.
    The metabolic variability can also be based on lack of certain enzymes, (the enxymes CYP3A4 and CYP2D6). The lack of either of these enzymes can alter or impair response to oxycodone. An estimated 5% to 10% of white people possess genetic variants of the CYP2D6 gene.

Huh. I had no idea that was the case. Interesting. A lot of things make more sense now. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    I have to say I am anti K2 and all the synthetics they are a product of the failed war on drugs
    Indeed. They are products of the drug war and much more harmful than their respective counterparts. The ending of the war on drugs would make K2 (synthetic marijuana, though I do hate that comparison) or bath salts obsolete.

All that said people have the right to make decisions for themselves, even if they be dumb or harmful ones. I like your speech Michael. Caseyjones had a good idea to try and rally people to come. It would be a shame if such a speech only fell on the ears of a few people. You might open their eyes to other aspects of government interference that they disagree with themselves, you may well plant seeds that will grow in time.

Hell that's how I woke up. I never much cared to pry into other people's business but hearing Dr. Paul's principled philosophy made sense. Much more so than trying to regulate morality etc.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

Don't know if it's been stated, but shorten up the beginning and make sure you detail how there are already laws on the books to curb the effects of drug abuse, no need to hamper someone's liberty that isn't making others a victim due to their vice. A few examples of how important Liberty is to the foundations this country was built on is all that's needed, you don't want to get cut off for being longwinded. I like the middle part about the vegetarian, it definitely makes your point. Finish up with how you already have laws/ordinances to deal with the effects, no reason to stamp on a peaceful person's Liberty to gain moral high ground. Also as Casey pointed out above, the recent problem with synthetics is an effect of the WoD and it's failed policies.

Thanks for being in the trenches and doing the work for your community, truly, thank you.

Brevity: It needs some.

Structure: Make your 1 key point early and often.

Alternatives: Give them other ways they can act to achieve their goals (you might have to articulate their goals for them).

I'd cut all the historical quotes on liberty. Maybe keep one in the body to help illustrate a point.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In an attempt to shorten it a bit, I think I'm going to take out the third paragraph regarding the 14th Amendment.

I plan on deleting the last paragraph.

And I'm thinking about changing the text of the paragraph prior to the last one from "ASKING" the mayor and council to support their oaths and pledges to "DEMANDING" they support them.

I think I'll change it from this:
    I ask that the Mayor and my fellow councilors stand with me in opposition to this ordinance. I ask that they stand by their oath to the U.S. Constitution and the principles of liberty it was written to protect. I ask that they stand by their pledge to the flag and the republic for which it stands and defend "Liberty and justice for all."

to this:
    I expect the Mayor and my fellow councilors to stand with me in opposition to this ordinance. I expect them to stand by their oath to the U.S. Constitution and the principles of liberty it was written to protect. I expect them to stand by their pledge to the flag and the republic for which it stands and defend "Liberty and justice for all."

What do you think?

- ML

I expect the Mayor and my fellow councilors to stand with me in opposition to this ordinance. I expect them to stand by their oath to the U.S. Constitution and the principles of liberty it was written to protect. I expect them to stand by their pledge to the flag and the republic for which it stands and defend "Liberty and justice for all."

What do you think?
    Much better.

In an attempt to shorten it a bit, I think I'm going to take out the third paragraph regarding the 14th Amendment.

I plan on deleting the last paragraph.

And I'm thinking about changing the text of the paragraph prior to the last one from "ASKING" the mayor and council to support their oaths and pledges to "DEMANDING" they support them.

I think I'll change it from this:

to this:

What do you think?

- ML
    Agreed it is much better. +rep
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Just to brainstorm some words that may have a better ring than 'expect'... not that expect isn't good, just that people can expect anything. I'm not sure if it conveys that message you are trying to send to them.

Encourage is more neutral, depending on who you are particularly talking to, or alliances you're trying to build, it comes off as less aggressive in my opinion. "I encourage you all to stand with me for the Constitution today" for example. It doesn't distance those you are speaking to. Perhaps it would be better with more neutral phrasing depending the personalities of people you are talking to? Subtle persuasion could be better. "I urge you, (speaking directly to the crowd) to stand with me in opposition..."

Implore is another word that could be seen as more neutral. I don't like it though. Doesn't have the same ring and could be seen as talking down to people or using unnecessarily heightened vocabulary.

Demand is one you mentioned and it would depend on the personalities of the people you are speaking to. Some people like a fiery speaker, if you could say it with a good emphasis and meaning behind the word, it could benefit the speech. "I demand that we adhere to the Constitution that we've all took an oath to uphold." End with a sincere and meaningful "Thank You." It would also depend how awake the people are. Demand has a strong ring to it especially with the added emphasis. If people take nothing else from your speech they will remember those words.

Now that I think about it I do like "ask." Perhaps "call for" has a more coalition sounding ringing though? "I call for you, all, to stand with the Constitution in your vote"

Just some ideas.
    Last edited by kcchiefs6465; 06-21-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

I expect the Mayor and my fellow councilors to stand with me in opposition to this ordinance. I call for them to stand by their oath to the U.S. Constitution and the principles of liberty it was written to protect. I demand they stand by their pledge to the flag and the republic for which it stands and defend "Liberty and justice for all."

Like this KC?

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Just to brainstorm some words that may have a better ring than 'expect'... not that expect isn't good, just that people can expect anything. I'm not sure if it conveys that message you are trying to send to them.

Encourage is more neutral, depending on who you are particularly talking to, or alliances you're trying to build, it comes off as less aggressive in my opinion. "I encourage you all to stand with me for the Constitution today" for example. It doesn't distance those you are speaking to. Perhaps it would be better with more neutral phrasing depending the personalities of people you are talking to? Subtle persuasion could be better. "I urge you, (speaking directly to the crowd) to stand with me in opposition..."

Implore is another word that could be seen as more neutral. I don't like it though. Doesn't have the same ring and could be seen as talking down to people or using unnecessarily heightened vocabulary.

Demand is one you mentioned and it would depend on the personalities of the people you are speaking to. Some people like a fiery speaker, if you could say it with a good emphasis and meaning behind the word, it could benefit the speech. "I demand that we adhere to the Constitution that we've all took an oath to uphold." End with a sincere and meaningful "Thank You." It would also depend how awake the people are. Demand has a strong ring to it especially with the added emphasis. If people take nothing else from your speech they will remember those words.

Now that I think about it I do like "ask." Perhaps "call for" has a more coalition sounding ringing though? "I call for you, all, to stand with the Constitution in your vote"

Just some ideas.
    I didn't really like using "expect" more than once and your post gave me some really good options I can use. Thanks.

I'm addressing the speech to my fellow councilors and mayor, all of whom, don't have the slightest notion of what liberty is. The council meetings hardly ever have anyone in attendance so I didn't draft it with the audience in mind.

- ML
    Last edited by Michael Landon; 06-21-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast