Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road Rage: Cop shoots and kills man in front of his wife and kids

Road Rage: Cop shoots and kills man in front of his wife and kids

[video]

New Jersey police officer Joseph Walker, 40, was arrested Saturday in Maryland after he allegedly shot and killed a man in the midst of a road rage dispute, even as his wife and three children looked on.

Maryland State Police told CBS Baltimore that Walker killed 36-year-old Joseph Harvey after the two encountered on another on Route 3.

It was not clear what lead to the encounter, but police said several witnesses to the road rage incident called in with details. It escalated into lethal force after both men pulled onto the shoulder and Harvey exited his vehicle with another man and began walking toward Walker’s minivan.

Police added that Walker’s wife and three children were in the car with him at the time. The family was traveling through Maryland back to New Jersey, where Walker works as an officer for the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office.

He’s being held on $1 million bail, facing charges of second-degree murder and manslaughter.
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/0...ids-looked-on/
    [Mod: edit to use direct link]

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Come on, Al Sharpton... Where is your outrage?

I could imagine the exact same scenario playing out with a role reversal that would drive PoliticsNation's ratings for months.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

THUG
    FLIP THOSE FLAGS, THE NATION IS IN DISTRESS!

why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).
    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide

Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

One can only wonder how this will work out for the cop, but do not be too surprised if some "deal" is cobbled up to get his filthy bacon out of the greater fire.

I hope he is called to strict account for what he has done, this girly man with a gun.

That aside, need I point out the severe tactical error that the deceased committed when he pulled over and walked toward a strange vehicle under such conditions? Let this be a lesson to everyone of what NEVER to do, most especially when you are not sufficiently endowed with the means of defending yourself. HELLO.

I will also point out so very belaboring the obvious that this is also illustrative of the reasons states have NO AUTHORITY to limit one's right to bear arms at any time, for any reason whatsoever. I would sue the states of NJ and MD for trillions because they denied the man and his family their right to the means of self defense.

If Walker skates on this in any way, I would see him hunted and make damned sure justice was served.

Enough is too much already.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I don't get why anyone would get that mad. Seriously, unless there was a collision, why would you pull over at all?
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    I don't get why anyone would get that mad. Seriously, unless there was a collision, why would you pull over at all?
    testosterone and poor self-esteem are a deadly mix.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Come on, Al Sharpton... Where is your outrage?

I could imagine the exact same scenario playing out with a role reversal that would drive PoliticsNation's ratings for months.
    You mean Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman? Yea, that already happened but you won't see all the huss and fuss happen this go around. Go figure.
    Last edited by seraphson; 06-18-2013 at 08:34 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This was proper police procedure. If he was in uniform and on the clock I have a feeling he would be on paid administrative leave pending investigation, followed with "proper policy was followed."

Quote Originally Posted by otherone View Post
    Bingo, plus the fact he's accustomed to intimidating people. How DARE that guy stand up to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Bingo, plus the fact he's accustomed to intimidating people. How DARE that guy stand up to him!
    I was referring to all three parties, or any bloated prick that has to prove himself on the highway, Harvey included.

I was referring to all three parties, or any bloated prick that has to prove himself on the highway, Harvey included.
    You may be right, I don't know, I wasn't there. Or it could be the cop was intimidating him. It takes two to tango, but I don't like getting pushed around either.

If I said that, how many neg-reps would I get, despite it being entirely accurate?

--------------

NJ cop. 'Nuff said.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvikalpa View Post
    If I said that, how many neg-reps would I get, despite it being entirely accurate?
    Sure, let's make this about YOU.

The dead guy was approaching the guy in the minivan? Cop or not, didnt he have a right to defend himself?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    The dead guy was approaching the guy in the minivan? Cop or not, didnt he have a right to defend himself?
    Wut?

Defence from an approach...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually, TWO pissed off guys got out of Harvey's vehicle and approached the minivan.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Wut?

Defence from an approach...
    It says 2 guys got out and approached him.
    He should have driven away...I might get my weapon handy if approached by 2 guys that were pissed, but, de-escalation should be sought.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

No video? Didn't happen

I guess we'll see just how many witnesses are needed to become an exception to that rule
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

From the video, it sounds like their vehicles made contact, one from a merge lane.
    I assume, it started as a "stop and see if we need to exchange insurance info" type of moment, for Walker (the cop).
    Two guys get out of the other car and approach Walker's car...
    I didn't see any other details.
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 06-18-2013 at 09:34 AM.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it."
    ~Edward Snowden
    "Paper money has the effect to ruin commerce,oppress the honest, and open the door to every species of fraud and injustice"

~GEORGE WASHINGTON

Quote Originally Posted by ClydeCoulter View Post
    From the video, it sounds like their vehicles made contact, one from a merge lane.
    I assume, it started as a "stop and see if we need to exchange insurance info" type of moment, for Walker (the cop).
    Two guys get out of the other car and approach Walker's car...
    I didn't see any other details.
    Quote Originally Posted by nbruno322 View Post
    "Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it."
    ~Edward Snowden
    It seems a bit early to use that quote as part of this.
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 06-18-2013 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    That aside, need I point out the severe tactical error that the deceased committed when he pulled over and walked toward a strange vehicle under such conditions? Let this be a lesson to everyone of what NEVER to do, most especially when you are not sufficiently endowed with the means of defending yourself. HELLO.
    Actually, TWO pissed off guys got out of Harvey's vehicle and approached the minivan.
    What was actually happening here is pretty important. Two guys jumping out and going to the other vehicle certainly sounds like they were the major aggressors. Were they making threats? Did he reach in a window and grab him? Too many unknowns.

That being said...

He should have driven away...I might get my weapon handy if approached by 2 guys that were pissed, but, de-escalation should be sought.
    Yep, driving away should be used as an option before opening fire, if that is possible. It raises more questions. Was he blocked in somehow? Was the guy reaching in the car?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

The cop is always wrong. Period. That is my rule.

This slime is a murderer.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post

I have to go with this too. Yesterday Sean Hannity had a segment about this story, and of course he was taking the "oh, that poor cop, being punished for trying to defend himself" point of view you would expect from a CONservative/neocon . He was interviewing some detective to back up his viewpoint, yeah, that's really an unbiased source for an opinion. The cop will walk, but at least he will be put through the wringer a little bit, which is more than usually happens.

LibForestPaul

He doesn't have to de-escalate. He has a state-issued clown custume.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    He doesn't have to de-escalate. He has a state-issued clown custume.
    Which should mean that he is in a far better position to know how to de-escalate, as compared to your average mundane.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Jury acquits :

http://legalinsurrection.com/2014/07...-murder-trial/
    BREAKING: New Jersey “Road Rage Cop” Acquitted in Maryland Murder Trial
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 at 12:52pm

NJ Police Officer Joseph Walker acquitted in the murder of MD-native Joseph Harvey Jr.
    Joseph Walker

Just breaking in the last few minutes, NJ police officer Joseph Walker, tried on charges of first degree murder in the road-rage shooting of Joseph Harvey Jr., has been acquitted. Not many details yet, so we’ll just share the news as provided by Hudson News 12 New Jersey, Hudson County Detective Joseph Walker acquitted in Maryland shooting:

ANNAPOLIS, Md. – A New Jersey detective was acquitted today of all charges in the killing of a driver during an alleged road-rage incident.

Joseph Walker, an investigator for the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office, has been cleared of first-degree murder in the death of 36-year-old Joseph Harvey, of Lansdowne, Maryland.

Prosecutors say Walker, 41, shot Harvey after the two pulled over in Millersville on June 8, 2013 after some traffic jostling. Walker’s lawyers have said their client thought he, his wife and three children were in danger when he fired his gun.

The Anne Arundel County Circuit court jury delivered the verdict after a day of deliberations.

Key to this case was that Maryland is a very strong “duty-to-retreat” state. This means that if one has a safe avenue of retreat one is required to take advantage of it before you can make use of deadly force in self-defense.

Given that Walker was standing beside his operable minivan (with his family inside), and the unarmed aggressor whom he shot, Harvey, had to cross ~150 feet of distance on foot before being within reaching distance, a reasonable argument existed that Walker could have simply driven away rather than resort to his service pistol.

snip

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvikalpa View Post
    It's okay for a black "gangsta rapper" to say the n-word but the word is forbidden for white folks, it's just like that. Unapologetic Feminist makes some men tremble in fear.
    Last edited by Peach; 07-30-2014 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post

I pretty much have the same rule, more or less.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast