Thread: Did you hear the Rush Limbaugh caller around 1pm?

Did you hear the Rush Limbaugh caller around 1pm?

Whatever your thoughts on Rush Limbaugh, he did a tremendous service today in destroying the argument put forward by NSA defenders that ‘meta data is less significant’ than recorded audio. Rush took a call around 1:00 p.m. from an anonymous telecom executive who runs a business collecting data on phone calls for businesses.

"The advent of mobile phones has created a situation where a phone number equals a person, so the phone number’s a much better index for getting everything you know about a person…"

TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: This is Matt from Miami and it says you are an exec in the telecommunications industry, right?

CALLER: Yes, that’s right, Rush. Thank you so much. It’s been 15 years listening to you, and I’m thrilled that my expertise and your expertise may actually intersect and allow me to make you look good.

RUSH: Well, thanks very much. That is the purpose of a caller, and let’s hope you can do it.

CALLER: Well, first off, I think it’s important to think about motivations. Our president, like all the Democratic presidents, would love to be Bill Clinton after he leaves office, and to do that you need to have power. You need to be a kingmaker. A database can do that. I left a multibillion-dollar phone company to start a smaller company, and our core product is a product that looks up phone numbers instantly when people make or receive phone calls and uses that information to populate details on the screen for people to use in selling or supporting customers, like their name, their address, the value of their home, their marital status, approximate income, approximate assets, cards they have registered to the address they live at, whether they’re in foreclosure, Facebook profiles, LinkedIn profiles, Twitter profiles associated with that number. The advent of mobile phones has created a situation where a phone number equals a person, so the phone number’s a much better index for getting everything you know about a person than something that’s less easy and less public like a Social Security number. And so my company sells that information to companies so that they can know who’s calling and route that call better and offer appropriate products or not...

Read more.
    My website: iroots.org Looking for folks to help write about activism...
    "If you’re into political activism, at least for Ron Paul if not for anyone else, I strongly recommend spending some time with iroots.org."
    - Tom Woods

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Facebook has been trying to get my number for about a year now. Every time you try to sign in. ("for security") I refused for the longest time. Eventually I posted a phone number I had from years ago that I use when getting a discount card at the store or whatever. It would seem to me that when you 'like' something of Facebook is automatically put in a database connected to that number.

Other online services have been asking for a phone number as well. (Google, in particular) First they made it to where your password has to have an uppercase and lowercase and a digit. (some have gone as far as to require a symbol as well) Lately it has been hounding me for my cell phone number 'in case I ever forget my password.'

Anyone else notice anything similar?

Quote Originally Posted by kcchiefs6465 View Post
    Facebook has been trying to get my number for about a year now. Every time you try to sign in. ("for security") I refused for the longest time. Eventually I posted a phone number I had from years ago that I use when getting a discount card at the store or whatever. It would seem to me that when you 'like' something of Facebook is automatically put in a database connected to that number.

Other online services have been asking for a phone number as well. (Google, in particular) First they made it to where your password has to have an uppercase and lowercase and a digit. (some have gone as far as to require a symbol as well) Lately it has been hounding me for my cell phone number 'in case I ever forget my password.'

Anyone else notice anything similar?
    Part of the phone number stuff is because it can now be treated as an address. All the major carriers now have a way for you to keep your number when you change services.

The facebook stuff has actually been wide open for a few years now. It's not just the intel agencies working with this stuff, but marketers:

https://developers.facebook.com/docs...raph/overview/

I thought about making a 'Data Mining 101' thread, but it will take a while for me to figure out how to put it in layman's terms.
    Last edited by CPUd; 06-13-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    Part of the phone number stuff is because it can now be treated as an address. All the major carriers now have a way for you to keep your number when you change services.

The facebook stuff has actually been wide open for a few years now. It's not just the intel agencies working with this stuff, but marketers:

https://developers.facebook.com/docs...raph/overview/

I thought about making a 'Data Mining 101' thread, but it will take a while for me to figure out how to put it in layman's terms.
    I would be very grateful if you did.

A lot of it is on me though, I am behind the curve on the exact details of the technology. I understand how the internet works in the simplest of terms and most of it still goes over my head. I definitely should have been reading up on it long ago. I appreciate your posts for that. I'm sure it would be frustrating trying to explain something to someone who for all intents and purposes is ignorant on the subject. One day I'll get there though.