Thread: The SBC and the Boy Scouts

The SBC and the Boy Scouts

Seems like a bad move for an organzation to make that is supposed to be concerned about sharing the Gospel with those that are in need of it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/12...y-decision-at/

HOUSTON – The nation's largest Protestant denomination stopped short of calling for its member churches to boycott the Boy Scouts, but voiced strong opposition to acceptance of gay scouts - with a top church leader predicting at the annual gathering of Southern Baptists that a "mass exodus" of youths from the program that has been a rite of passage for more than a century.

The move by the Southern Baptist Convention came at its annual, four-day meeting in Houston, and three weeks after the Boy Scouts of America voted to allow gay youth to join. With more than two-thirds of Boy Scout troops sponsored by religious organizations, and Baptists being the nation's largest protestant denomination, the resolution could have a crippling effect on the Boy Scouts.

"There will be a mass exodus over time."
    - Frank Page, president of the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee

"There will be a mass exodus over time," said Frank Page, president of the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee. “Churches are finally going to have to come to realize – there is a point when you say, ‘sorry, no more.’"

The resolution did not call on churches to stop sponsoring troops, but urged ones that do to push to have the decision to admit gay scouts reversed. It seemed to be largely aimed at what church leaders believe is the inevitable inclusion of gay scout leaders.

“We express our well-founded concern that the current executive leadership of the BSA, along with certain board members, may utilize this membership policy change as merely the first step toward future approval of homosexual leaders in the Scouts,” the resolution said.

The Southern Baptist Convention claims to represent more than forty-five thousand churches and church-type missions as well as nearly 16 million members.

“Over time we will see a dramatic drop in overall scouting numbers," added Page.

The church already sponsors what some believe could emerge as an alternative to the Boy Scouts, in the Royal Ambassadors.

The resolution also called on the Boy Scouts to remove executive and board leaders who worked to allow gays as both members and leaders without input from religious groups that sponsor Scout troops. Mormons, Methodists and Catholics have all urged their churches to continue to sponsor Boy Scout troops in the wake of the policy change.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/12...#ixzz2W3yaLTap
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wait,so are you saying its a bad move to stand by your religious convictions and condemn the allowance of something that is considered a abomination of your belief?It serves no purpose to preach to people if you compromise on what you believe.People will recognize then, that your convictions are shallow.People searching for truth are attracted to someone confident and firm in what they believe, not in someone that will cave in and disregard there beliefs at the first sign of a little pressure.

My brother did boy scouts -- I went to his awards ceremonies and the Pinewood derby. The majority of boys in it were under 13 with the exception for a few high school-aged guys that stuck with it. Elementary and middle school-aged boys (at least the ones in my brother's scout troop) were more into the pinewood derby, getting badges, and going camping than discussing relationships. I get annoyed when the LGBTA people make a big deal out of the BSA being chill with openly gay scouts and the religious folks throwing a tantrum over how openly gay scouts would destroy morality. The BSA does a lot of great stuff for guys. My brother got to try all sorts of new things, learn a lot of skills like outdoor survival and all that jazz, and he really enjoyed it. I think it would be ridiculous to give up on a great organization just because they allow openly gay scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Liberty View Post
    My brother did boy scouts -- I went to his awards ceremonies and the Pinewood derby. The majority of boys in it were under 13 with the exception for a few high school-aged guys that stuck with it. Elementary and middle school-aged boys (at least the ones in my brother's scout troop) were more into the pinewood derby, getting badges, and going camping than discussing relationships. I get annoyed when the LGBTA people make a big deal out of the BSA being chill with openly gay scouts and the religious folks throwing a tantrum over how openly gay scouts would destroy morality. The BSA does a lot of great stuff for guys. My brother got to try all sorts of new things, learn a lot of skills like outdoor survival and all that jazz, and he really enjoyed it. I think it would be ridiculous to give up on a great organization just because they allow openly gay scouts.
    Pinewood Derby is cub-scouts. The really hard core fascist type scout leaders don't come until the boy scouts.
    ATTAINING FREEDOM
    Man must get rid of illusions that enslave and paralyze him; he must become aware of the reality inside and outside of him in order to create a world which needs no illusions. Freedom and independence can be achieved only when the chains of illusion are broken.
    --ERICH FROMM

“In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness” Robert Griffin III

Quote Originally Posted by robert9712000 View Post
    Wait,so are you saying its a bad move to stand by your religious convictions and condemn the allowance of something that is considered a abomination of your belief?It serves no purpose to preach to people if you compromise on what you believe.People will recognize then, that your convictions are shallow.People searching for truth are attracted to someone confident and firm in what they believe, not in someone that will cave in and disregard there beliefs at the first sign of a little pressure.
    I'm a Southern Baptist and yes I think it is a bad move. All they are doing is political grandstanding. If they are going to do this, they might as well go all in and call for a boycott. On a side note though, they should be more conscerned about LifeWay selling material that comes from heretics, but I digress.

The SBC should be calling for a resolution to actively engage and share the Gospel with the children which disgusts them. Not a resolution the will effectively be slapping the ones that Jesus came to save in the face. If a Baptist doesn't want to be in the Boy Scouts because of their decision then fine. Don't be in the Boy Scouts.

I think a lot of christians really need to realize the depths of their sin and depravity. It might give them a little more compassion in dealing with a lost and dying world.
    Sometimes me thinks christians doth protest too much.

Edit: I also have a hard time calling a little child a homosexual. Especially when they haven't even reached puberty.
    Last edited by shane77m; 06-13-2013 at 05:47 PM.
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap