Thread: SOPA-PIPA Just Won't Die

SOPA-PIPA Just Won't Die

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect IP Act (PIPA) IP = Internet Protocol http://beforeitsnews.com/politics/20...s-1616663.html

Congress is considering HR 3166 and S. 1698 also known as the Enemy Expatriation Act, sponsored by Joe Lieberman (I-CT) and Charles Dent (R-PA). This bill would give the US government the power to strip Americans of their citizenship without being convicted of being 'hostile' against the United States. In other words, you can be stripped of your nationality for 'engaging in, or purposefully and materially supporting, hostilities against the United States.' Legally, the term 'hostilities' means any conflict subject to the laws of war but considering the fact that the War on Terror is a little ambiguous and encompassing, any action could be labeled as supporting terrorism."

I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like this is a loophole for indefinitely detaining Americans. Once again, you just have to be accused of supporting hostilities which could be defined any way the government sees fit. Then the government can strip your citizenship and apply the indefinite detention section of the NDAA without the benefit of a trial.
    Last edited by DonVolaric; 06-11-2013 at 04:44 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonVolaric View Post
    The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect IP Act (PIPA) IP = Internet Protocol http://beforeitsnews.com/politics/20...s-1616663.html

Congress is considering HR 3166 and S. 1698 also known as the Enemy Expatriation Act, sponsored by Joe Lieberman (I-CT) and Charles Dent (R-PA). This bill would give the US government the power to strip Americans of their citizenship without being convicted of being 'hostile' against the United States. In other words, you can be stripped of your nationality for 'engaging in, or purposefully and materially supporting, hostilities against the United States.' Legally, the term 'hostilities' means any conflict subject to the laws of war but considering the fact that the War on Terror is a little ambiguous and encompassing, any action could be labeled as supporting terrorism."

I hope I'm wrong, but it sounds to me like this is a loophole for indefinitely detaining Americans. Once again, you just have to be accused of supporting hostilities which could be defined any way the government sees fit. Then the government can strip your citizenship and apply the indefinite detention section of the NDAA without the benefit of a trial.

Sorry Don, but if that means John McCain can be sent to Guantanamo Bay then i might end up supporting this.

Keep your eye's open----H.R. 684 http://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-...house-bill/684 Introduced in House (02/14/2013) Marketplace Fairness Act of 2013 - Authorizes each member state under the Streamlined Sales and Use Tax Agreement (the multistate agreement for the administration and collection of sales and use taxes adopted on November 12, 2002) to require all sellers not qualifying for a small-seller exception (applicable to sellers with annual gross receipts in total U.S. remote sales not exceeding $1 million) to collect and remit sales and use taxes with respect to remote sales under provisions of the Agreement, but only if such Agreement includes minimum simplification requirements relating to the administration of the tax, audits, and streamlined filing. Defines "remote sale" as a sale of goods or services into a state in which the seller would not legally be required to pay, collect, or remit state or local sales and use taxes unless provided by this Act.
    Last edited by DonVolaric; 06-27-2013 at 08:05 PM.