Thread: Rand to Introduce 4th Amendment Restoration Act of 2013

Thumbs up Rand to Introduce 4th Amendment Restoration Act of 2013

From a press release:

Sen. Paul
    to Introduce Fourth Amendment Restoration Act of 2013

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Sen. Rand Paul today announced he will introduce the Fourth Amendment Restoration Act of 2013, which ensures the Constitutional protections of the Fourth Amendment are not violated by any government entity.

“The revelation that the NSA has secretly seized the call records of millions of Americans, without probable cause, represents an outrageous abuse of power and a violation of the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution. I have long argued that Congress must do more to restrict the Executive’s expansive law enforcement powers to seize private records of law-abiding Americans that are held by a third-party,” Sen. Paul said. “When the Senate rushed through a last-minute extension of the FISA Amendments Act late last year, I insisted on a vote on my amendment (SA 3436) to require stronger protections on business records and prohibiting the kind of data-mining this case has revealed. Just last month, I introduced S.1037, the Fourth Amendment Preservation and Protection Act, which would provide exactly the kind of protections that, if enacted, could have prevented these abuses and stopped these increasingly frequent violations of every American’s constitutional rights.

“The bill restores our Constitutional rights and declares that the Fourth Amendment shall not be construed to allow any agency of the United States government to search the phone records of Americans without a warrant based on probable cause.”

Click HERE to view the text of this legislation, which will be introduced when the Senate returns to session on Friday, June 7.

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More meaningless words on paper. We already "have" these protections, yet government already ignores it's own laws and bill of rights. What is going to prevent them from ignoring this law?

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    More meaningless words on paper. We already "have" these protections, yet government already ignores it's own laws and bill of rights. What is going to prevent them from ignoring this law?

You are! You didn't get the memo?

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    W/o constant pressure from the people and proper politicians in Congress, the Constitution is either meaningless or powerless to prevent the erosion of individual rights. There is a revival happening in the grassroots to put backbone to these words on paper. If Rand stays a force to be reckoned with and new allies continually arrive at his side, then what he advocates becomes strengthened and liberty will rise again.

the fact that you have to pass a law to reaffirm an amendment to the Constitution means neither matter to government.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    the fact that you have to pass a law to reaffirm an amendment to the Constitution means neither matter to government.
    Ok, well, egotistical commentary aside, do you support or oppose Sen. Paul's legislation?
    I ignore the fact that RP's take back the GOP strategy is working. I ignore the fact that RP accomplished more from his 2008 GOP run than he ever has before. I ignore the fact that 3rd party candidates lose and are a joke to voters. I ignore all this b/c I have an arousing fantasy where RP runs 3rd party in 2012, magically polls at 15%, magically is allowed in the debates, and then magically wins the election. Trust me, it'll work this time.
    - The naive attitude of too many RPF members

It's sad that it's necessary, and I agree it shouldn't be, but the way the Constitution is ignored these days makes it necessary to clarify specific things, like taking millions of peoples' call records just because someone in the government feels like it in the name of "keeping us all safe."
    "Some supporters of the war use their religion to justify the war. Evidently, I’ve been reading from a different Bible." — Ron Paul
    “I'm supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want.” ― Ron Paul

My crazy whistling YouTube channel
    My crazy whistling music on iTunes

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Antimony View Post
    Ok, well, egotistical commentary aside, do you support or oppose Sen. Paul's legislation?
    Do you support asinine legislation? I don't support it or oppose it.. Its useless.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some people just don't get it. There is a point to doing this. Rand will be able to show in 2016 that some of his opponents voted against the 4th amendment.

it wont pass. 4th amendment is not popular enough.

4th amendment was so last century.

How about nullifying all organizations, agencies, and bull$#@! created by the PATRIOT ACT?
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    Do you support asinine legislation? I don't support it or oppose it.. Its useless.
    It's more of a political stunt to highlight the fact the 4th amendment is being violated.

I like it. Powerful statement.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    It's more of a political stunt to highlight the fact the 4th amendment is being violated.

I like it. Powerful statement.
    but really only people who already know that will get that from it.. everyone else will respond, "huh?"

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    it wont pass. 4th amendment is not popular enough.
    It won't be the first time.

On February 7, by a vote of 303 to 121, the U.S. House of Representatives voted down the Fourth Amendment. Rep. Melvin Watt (D-N.C.) had proposed attaching the text of the amendment--which guarantees against unreasonable searches and seizures--to pending crime legislation.
    http://www.unz.org/Pub/Reason-1995may-00048
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

I think the roll call on this will be interesting. Hopefully McConnell will get Rand a vote on this legislation.

Obviously crazy, we should just follow the 4th, alas most of the country thinks not the way we do.

Bravo Rand! Lets spread this around and get some attention for it! Long live the 4th!!!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Antimony View Post
    Legislatively speaking? Neither. In that regard, it's pure fluffery. The 4th amendment is already supposed to be "the Supreme Law of the Land."

It clearly is not, however - and at present, passing a "restoration act" is not going to do anything to (directly) address or rectify the root causes of why that is the case.

Educatively speaking, though, I "support" this for the sake of whatever extent to which it brings greater awareness and consideration of those root causes.

But in terms of what the government actually does, I seriously doubt this Act will be of much (if any) use. Even if it passes, they'll just flout it or find a way around it.

The system as currently constituted (pun most definitely intended) ignores the 4th. Why should it be expected to pay any more attention to the "restoration" of the 4th? After all, statists gonna state ...
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 06-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·