Thread: VIDEO: Fast food ice dirtier than toilet water, study finds

VIDEO: Fast food ice dirtier than toilet water, study finds

A new study by UK's The Daily Mail found that ice from McDonald's, Starbucks, Burger King and KFC, to name a few, contains more bacteria than toilet water. RT's Margaret Howell breaks down the report.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

If you think about it toilet water might not be that dirty as long as no one's pissed or $#@! in it. It's just a headline that's intentionally meant to sound sensational, it's a dumb comparison. I'm sure the solution that the people who did the study recommend is more government regulations. Maybe a ban of fast food all out to protect us from ourselves.

Clever wording. "Study finds Fast food ice can be dirtier than some toilets".

Here's the truth. If you live in society (or frankly anywhere), you're going to encounter germs and lots of them. I have to laugh at germophobes who think being overly clean will shelter them from it.
    I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than be living as a puppet or a slave - Peter Tosh

The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...

Ice makers can be difficult to clean and is a chore that often gets neglected.

I've seen some pretty filthy ones.

But that said, yah, sounds like more germophobe headlining.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrinchWhoStoleDC View Post
    Clever wording. "Study finds Fast food ice can be dirtier than some toilets".
    And what's more, "dirtier" is a HUGE "waffle-word" as it is used here. Clearly, it is intended that we interpret "dirtier" in the qualitative (and entirely subjective) sense of "nastier." Apparently, though, it is only justified (if at all) in the quantitative sense of "parts-per-million" or "parts-per-billion" or some such. Not all bacteria are created equal, though - and the ones you're apt to find in a toilet are not necessarily the same ones you're likely to find in an ice-maker.

And even our concerns over "toilet" bacteria are driven FAR more by primal scatalogical fears than by reasoned thought & rationality. After all, all the "nasty stuff" that goes into toilets came out of our bodies in the first place [1]. Serious problems arise when that "nasty stuff" is allowed to sit, stagnate and serve as a "breeding ground" - but that's not the case with modern toiletry/plumbing.

We are being invited to apply our (survival-advantaged) disgust with $#@!ty things to fast-food ice-makers. And that's a pretty $#@!ty thing to do ...

The manic "germophobia" exploited by this "study" is probably a greater & more active danger than the germs & bacteria themselves - especially when it manifests in such ways as the widespread use of "anti-bacterial" soaps. (A thing for which we are one day going to pay ...)

[1] Usually because it's stuff the body doesn't need, can't use or is present in quantities too great for the body to process. Despite our shiversome disgust, it is generally harmless, in and of itself. There are, of course, exceptions to this - as in the case of "infected" effluvia from someone who is already diseased, poisoned, etc. These exceptions are why our "overreaction" to "$#@!ty things" is a survival advantage.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Ice machine cleaning/maintenance is something I do regularly. I DO NOT drink ice from a machine I haven't cleaned myself. If not properly maintained, they are a horror show of rainbow colored slime and mold.
    There's an oriented public whose magnetic force does pull,
    But away from the potential of the individual.

Quote Originally Posted by bullterrier0 View Post
    Ice machine cleaning/maintenance is something I do regularly. I DO NOT drink ice from a machine I haven't cleaned myself. If not properly maintained, they are a horror show of rainbow colored slime and mold.
    This is what I have heard for quite some time. This piece would have carried a lot more weight if they had isolated the primary problem by doing more investigative journalism.

I highly recommend not using ice at fast food restaurants. But of course it will fall on deaf ears with some.
    “The easiest way to gain control of a population is to carry out acts of terror. [The public] will clamor for such laws if their personal security is threatened”.
    - Josef Stalin

I think it's so gross the water that comes out of the tap is the same water used to flush the toilet. I think sewage water should never be recycled for drinking and bathing. We ought to have 2 separate lines.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Working Poor View Post
    I think it's so gross the water that comes out of the tap is the same water used to flush the toilet. I think sewage water should never be recycled for drinking and bathing. We ought to have 2 separate lines.
    Where would you draw "fresh" water from?

Living in the country and being on a well I can with 100% certainty state that every septic tank,cow/horse/deer/bird etc. within 100 miles upstream of the underground aquifer I draw from has contributed to the water "quality"...

If a person really wants "clean" drinking water then distillation is the only method I'm aware of....

For me and my family ground filtration works just fine...

My cat prefers to drink out of the toilet. He is fine.

Time to give your immune system a hearty workout.

I don't take the Daily Mail seriously anymore. There's a reason Brits like to call it "The Daily Fail".
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    The manic "germophobia" exploited by this "study" is probably a greater & more active danger than the germs & bacteria themselves - especially when it manifests in such ways as the widespread use of "anti-bacterial" soaps. (A thing for which we are one day going to pay ...)
    And THAT should be a topic all to itself. The control of legislation and the masses, with fear mongering rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Where would you draw "fresh" water from?

Living in the country and being on a well I can with 100% certainty state that every septic tank,cow/horse/deer/bird etc. within 100 miles upstream of the underground aquifer I draw from has contributed to the water "quality"...

If a person really wants "clean" drinking water then distillation is the only method I'm aware of....

For me and my family ground filtration works just fine...
    Exactly. What do people want, pure H2O? That would be boring and probably not very healthy. We need minerals, etc...and even some bacteria.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

"nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

"I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin