Thread: Attending my first local GOP meeting soon...

Attending my first local GOP meeting soon...

The Robeson County GOP meets the second Tuesday of each month and I'm going to start attending, but I'm going in completely blind. Anyone have some advice as to what to do and/or expect?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'll tell you what happens in mine - Wake. We have 2 meetings every month, back to back on the same day, 1 hour each. The first is an organizational meeting and the second is an excomm (Executive Committee) meeting. Don't expect to see things like foreign policy or the war on drugs being discussed. At the most, you will see mentions of Common Core and Agenda 21. The rest of the stuff is about fundraising and organizing locally for the upcoming municipal elections.

Sign up as a precinct chair or a house district vice-chair, depending on which spots need help. Most important thing is showing up. If you are younger, you will be appreciated more, because the average GOPer is around 87 with one foot in the grave. Don't take on controversial topics where the geezers obviously will disagree. Take soft topics like Agenda 21 and build some political capital which you can use later. I find the 1:1 discussions after the meetings to be more interesting than the meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeH View Post
    The Robeson County GOP meets the second Tuesday of each month and I'm going to start attending, but I'm going in completely blind. Anyone have some advice as to what to do and/or expect?
    + rep

I would recommend that you just go to see what it's like and get to know people. Try to make a good first impression on them. Don't plan on making a difference in anything at your first meeting. Just do recon and build rapport basically.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    + rep

I would recommend that you just go to see what it's like and get to know people. Try to make a good first impression on them. Don't plan on making a difference in anything at your first meeting. Just do recon and build rapport basically.
    Good advice. For sure don't get into the weeds and like the other poster said, get involved as a precinct chair which will give you more cred down the line esp for convention purposes - maybe not out of the gate if you're not comfortable yet but in the near future. Not sure how you normally interact in political discussions but let talking points via the Constitution be your guide. Oh and don't bring up Ron Paul.