Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 66

Thread: Woman handing out pizza samples at COSTCO shot by police

  1. #1

    Default Woman handing out pizza samples at COSTCO shot by police

    A Loudoun County sheriff’s deputy shot and killed a woman who came at him with a knife at a busy Costco in Sterling on Wednesday afternoon, authorities said, causing confused and frightened shoppers and employees to duck behind cash registers and rush out of the store.

    Two deputies went to the store to check a report of a disorderly person and used a Taser to try to subdue the woman, Loudoun Sheriff Michael Chapman said. But the woman kept advancing, so one of the deputies fired at her and killed her, the sheriff said. The second deputy was wounded, possibly when a bullet ricocheted and hit his leg. He is expected to recover.

    Sheriff’s officials identified the woman as Mhai Scott, 38, who lived near Dulles Town Center and worked for Club Demonstration Services, which provides services to Costco.

    Renee Haber, a manager at the store, near the busy intersection of Cascades Parkway and Route 7, said Scott, who was involved in food preparation, became agitated and began to act erratically as her shift was ending. She said Scott, who had been serving pizza, began saying “crazy things” and seemed concerned about the number of servings in a pizza box.

    As Scott was moving away from her serving station, Haber said, she grabbed a knife from another station and was making “strange movements.”

    “She was frightening her supervisor,” Haber said. Haber said workers called police.

    The first deputies arrived at the store just after 3 p.m., Chapman said. When they encountered Scott near the rear of the store, she was armed with a knife and might also have had scissors, he said.

    “Preliminary indications are that she came at the deputies with a knife,” Chapman said. Sheriff’s officials said in a prepared statement Wednesday night that Scott ignored orders to drop the weapon.

    “It’s a tragic situation,” the sheriff said. “I feel for everybody involved.”

    Chapman said that investigators are interviewing witnesses and reviewing surveillance tapes but that he feels “confident in the way our deputies responded.”

    Nora LaTeef said she had just sat down to enjoy a berry smoothie at Costco’s food court — after finishing her weekly grocery shopping with her parents — when uniformed sheriff’s deputies burst into the store. The deputies headed toward what appeared to be an employee lounge and then dashed down the aisles, crouching as they moved, LaTeef said.

    LaTeef said that she could tell that the deputies “were coming in for action” and that she remarked to her mother that they should probably leave. As her father went to fill up his soda, LaTeef said, five muffled gunshots were heard.

    In an instant, she said, employees and customers were screaming: “Get out of the Costco! Get out of Costco!” as they stampeded for the exit.

    Peggy Waters of Cascades said she was in line at the big-box store with her 22-year-old son when she saw deputies run in with hands on their holstered guns. The deputies first jiggled a door on what she thought was an office and then headed down a main aisle to the back of the store.

    Waters heard what she thought were four shots, she said, and her son heard five. “I had no idea what was going on,” she said.

    Some people crouched behind the cash registers, but most ran for the nearby doors, Waters said. “I said, ‘Son, I think we better get out of here,’ ” she said, and they went to the parking lot.

    Robert Krause of Ashburn said that he was near the front of the store when he heard “about five” pops but that he didn’t immediately recognize the sounds as gunfire.

    “Everyone was running out of the building not knowing what was going on,” Krause said. ”I was a little scared so I got out of there pretty quick.”

    Sheriff’s officials said the wounded deputy was being treated for a wound to the leg.

    Krause said he saw the injured deputy being carried from the store. ”He looked like he was on his cellphone as he was being carried out, so I hope he’s okay.”

    LaTeef said the incident was frightening. “It was really horrible,” she said. “You don’t feel safe, and this is our back yard. Costco is our back yard. You go there all the time.”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...tml?tid=pm_pop



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2

    Default

    Sounds like a premeditated, intentional killing. Any cop who can't take down a woman without deadly force doesn't belong on the force.
    “If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

    - SAMUEL ADAMS

  4. #3
    Moderator/Resident Jew Kotin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Posts
    10,362
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtomator View Post
    Sounds like a premeditated, intentional killing. Any cop who can't take down a woman without deadly force doesn't belong on the force.
    I am quite sure the whole "acting crazy" thing is completely false and mde up.



    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

    - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

  5. #4
    Master Skeptic Brian4Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,904
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Enemy combatant. You don't read Miranda rights in a war zone.

    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


  6. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I am quite sure the whole "acting crazy" thing is completely false and mde up.
    It might not be - even if it isn't, there's still no excuse to resort to deadly force in this incident.
    “If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

    - SAMUEL ADAMS

  7. #6

    Default

    Well I'm sure the footage from the security camera's can clear up what happened. There are enough of those, right ?

  8. #7

    Default

    Chapman said that investigators are interviewing witnesses and reviewing surveillance tapes but that he feels “confident in the way our deputies responded.”
    Any bets?
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

    Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

  9. #8
    Master Skeptic Brian4Liberty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,904
    Blog Entries
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Any bets?
    Hard drive was corrupted. Been having problems with that for weeks. Repairman was already scheduled to fix that.

    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Corporate-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul


  10. #9
    Member DamianTV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Banana Republic of Johnny Chimpo
    Posts
    11,583
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    The Sentence of Execution will now be upheld by the Cpos for not just a guilty verdict in a first degree murder charge, but for all other lesser crimes, both felonies and misdemeanors without a trial.
    1776 > 1984

    The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintian an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

    The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

    You are Ron Paul's Media!

  11. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Hard drive was corrupted. Been having problems with that for weeks. Repairman was already scheduled to fix that.
    Also, the repairman was deported months ago.
    “If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”

    - SAMUEL ADAMS

  12. #11
    Member jkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    OhiO baybeeeeee
    Posts
    5,718

    Default

    YOU
    DONT
    GIT
    A
    LAWYER
    !!!!!
    .

    Please tell me why I should worship the state (who apparently is the only party that can possess guns without question).

    The state's only purpose is to kill and control. Why do you worship it? - Sola_Fide


    ^THAT^

    Baptiste said.
    At which point will Americans realize that creating an unaccountable institution that is able to pass its liability on to tax-payers is immoral and attracts sociopaths?

  13. #12

    Default

    UnF***ing believable. These cops deserve exactly what they gave to their victims. Is murder really the only way to deal with a "threat"?

  14. #13

    Default

    These sort of stories remind me of Judge Dredd. And that was supposed to be fiction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    The government is incapable of doing what it's supposed to do. A job like the provision of security is something best left to private institutions.
    My music/art page is here"government is the enemy of liberty"-RP
    That which doesn't kill me has made a grave tactical error
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This whole board is a thoughtcrime in progress.
    [IMG]
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMoF6luCUAIm1vO.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://asset.zcache.com/assets/graphics/s.gif[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by danke View Post
    I carry my man purse for fashion, not function.

  15. #14
    Mr. Republitarian FSP-Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A^2
    Posts
    10,249
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    If the account of this story is true in terms of the woman coming at the cops with a knife then deadly force was legit. If I was a cop, woman or not, someone advancing at me with a knife or other offensive weapon would have to be dealt with appropriately and I wouldn't take the chance at getting cut so as to not harm some crazy woman coming at me. For some reason the taser didn't do the trick like it should have. Unlike citizens faced with aggression, cops aren't required to retreat when threatened before deadly force is authorized. Killing anyone is a bad thing and will likely stay on your conscious forever, tho some freak cops might get a kick out of it. Can't be sure of anything unless all the details are out and verified.

  16. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    If the account of this story is true in terms of the woman coming at the cops with a knife then deadly force was legit. If I was a cop, woman or not, someone advancing at me with a knife or other offensive weapon would have to be dealt with appropriately and I wouldn't take the chance at getting cut so as to not harm some crazy woman coming at me. For some reason the taser didn't do the trick like it should have. Unlike citizens faced with aggression, cops aren't required to retreat when threatened before deadly force is authorized. Killing anyone is a bad thing and will likely stay on your conscious forever, tho some freak cops might get a kick out of it. Can't be sure of anything unless all the details are out and verified.
    And this is the reason why this bs will continue.

  17. #16
    Mr. Republitarian FSP-Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A^2
    Posts
    10,249
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    And this is the reason why this bs will continue.
    I agree that there's many instances where the police act out of line in grave scenarios but each one should be taken individually. X amount of terrorists don't make all Muslims bad and the same goes for police officers. I'd wager to say that if these bad officers were actually held to account and properly punished for there immoral and aggressive acts then most here wouldn't be calling shenanigans on every story where someone or dog dies and the police are involved. The point still stands, if someone is acting crazy and attempts to aggress on an officer with or w/o a weapon, common knowledge is that something bad will happen to them.

  18. #17

    Default

    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc


    "Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

    "Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  19. #18

    Default

    Didnt O'bidiot just pass some violence against women act?

    I dont understand why these cops; even if they MUST shoot someone just cant seem to take out someones leg?

  20. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Washtenaw Co., MI
    Posts
    3,788

    Default

    Shooting the woman could have been legitimate self defense, but what about the bystanders? Shooting in a crowded Costco, even at a legitimate attacker, would probably carry an "endangering the public" charge or whatever the local jurisdiction might call it.

    And re-reading the article: where did the one officer's injury come from? It says that it may have been from a ricochet. Was it direct fire, evidencing a willful recklessness on the part of the first deputy in discharging his weapon? If a mundane had defended themselves and a ricochet hit a nearby officer, they'd have hell to pay.

    And four/five shots? Aren't these supposed to be trained officers in close combat? Even if they missed with one round (bad enough), why wasn't the second round sufficient to subdue the person?

    Finally, while shooting to kill is the best option for private defense - shouldn't officers be trained to shoot to subdue? Shoot the right shoulder of someone coming at you with a knife, and they'll drop the knife and live to face charges. Killing an alleged criminal is a very convenient way to avoid the fact-finding that would take place in a trial. If you're a cop that did something that may open you up to civil liability or professional sanctions, you'd want to escalate the situation to have some reason to kill the "witness" and escape with only the possibility of an internal investigation that presumes you acted properly.
    "You cannot solve these problems with war." - Ron Paul

  21. #20
    Needs a bigger boat Anti Federalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a Nine Line Bind
    Posts
    51,878
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Tells me all I needed to know.

    Those cops came in, not looking to safely de-fuse and de-escalate a situation like sworn peace officers are supposed to do.

    They came charging in, like soldiers looking to light up an enemy combatant, to neutralize a threat.

    And they did.

    Circular Force Continuum.

    Policy was followed.

    Officer Safety was ensured.

    Compliance was achieved.

    The standing army.

    Just another day in AmeriKa.



    Nora LaTeef said she had just sat down to enjoy a berry smoothie at Costco’s food court — after finishing her weekly grocery shopping with her parents — when uniformed sheriff’s deputies burst into the store. The deputies headed toward what appeared to be an employee lounge and then dashed down the aisles, crouching as they moved, LaTeef said.

    LaTeef said that she could tell that the deputies “were coming in for action” and that she remarked to her mother that they should probably leave. As her father went to fill up his soda, LaTeef said, five muffled gunshots were heard.

  22. #21
    Mr. Republitarian FSP-Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A^2
    Posts
    10,249
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Like I said, if the police were in the wrong they deserve to be punished. And yeah, they should be seeking to subdue rather than kill, deescalation is the key but I wonder how often or whether or not it is preached at the academy or in dept rules.

  23. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    I agree that there's many instances where the police act out of line in grave scenarios but each one should be taken individually. X amount of terrorists don't make all Muslims bad and the same goes for police officers. I'd wager to say that if these bad officers were actually held to account and properly punished for there immoral and aggressive acts then most here wouldn't be calling shenanigans on every story where someone or dog dies and the police are involved. The point still stands, if someone is acting crazy and attempts to aggress on an officer with or w/o a weapon, common knowledge is that something bad will happen to them.
    The problem with that argument is that unlike Islam, the police are a criminal gang by nature, protected (mostly) by law. Unlike the cops, you won't find every member of Islam considering themselves part of "The Brotherhood" caste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    The government is incapable of doing what it's supposed to do. A job like the provision of security is something best left to private institutions.
    My music/art page is here"government is the enemy of liberty"-RP
    That which doesn't kill me has made a grave tactical error
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This whole board is a thoughtcrime in progress.
    [IMG]
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMoF6luCUAIm1vO.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://asset.zcache.com/assets/graphics/s.gif[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by danke View Post
    I carry my man purse for fashion, not function.

  24. #23
    Needs a bigger boat Anti Federalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a Nine Line Bind
    Posts
    51,878
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    Like I said, if the police were in the wrong they deserve to be punished. And yeah, they should be seeking to subdue rather than kill, deescalation is the key but I wonder how often or whether or not it is preached at the academy or in dept rules.
    It's not.

    That has been confirmed many times, in some cases by active and retired LEOs.

    Circular Force Continuum is taught.

    Officer Safety and control of the scene is taught.

    A suitable solution, to the Mundanes concerned, is secondary.

  25. #24
    Needs a bigger boat Anti Federalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a Nine Line Bind
    Posts
    51,878
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I am quite sure the whole "acting crazy" thing is completely false and mde up.
    Or it could be a reaction to bunch of prescription happy pills.

    Or a stroke.

    Or who knows...?

    No need to worry about it now though.

    This is why you don't call cops.

  26. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    It's not.

    That has been confirmed many times, in some cases by active and retired LEOs.

    Circular Force Continuum is taught.

    Officer Safety and control of the scene is taught.

    A suitable solution, to the Mundanes concerned, is secondary.
    This too!^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    The government is incapable of doing what it's supposed to do. A job like the provision of security is something best left to private institutions.
    My music/art page is here"government is the enemy of liberty"-RP
    That which doesn't kill me has made a grave tactical error
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This whole board is a thoughtcrime in progress.
    [IMG]
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMoF6luCUAIm1vO.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://asset.zcache.com/assets/graphics/s.gif[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by danke View Post
    I carry my man purse for fashion, not function.

  27. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I am quite sure the whole "acting crazy" thing is completely false and mde up.
    I believe she was acting weird, but not enough to warrant killer her. Cops came with guns drawn looking to kill someone, used any excuse they could to do so.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

    Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

    When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan

  28. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    Didnt O'bidiot just pass some violence against women act?

    I dont understand why these cops; even if they MUST shoot someone just cant seem to take out someones leg?
    I couldn't agree more. Just shoot the person in the knee cap and lets see if they continue coming at you. For the love of god, these people should be trained in handling situations like this one even if you believe the woman kept coming at them even after they warned her.

    2 officers at the scene and they still couldn't subdue her. Just sad.

  29. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Just shoot the person in the knee cap and lets see if they continue coming at you. For the love of god, these people should be trained in handling situations like this one even if you believe the woman kept coming at them even after they warned her.

    2 officers at the scene and they still couldn't subdue her. Just sad.


    Agreed, I cant understand the police anymore.

    I grew up practicing martial arts (I still do) and my teachers (Ive had a few) always seemed afraid of their power. Im not claiming to be some tough guy or a master but I have always been afraid to "hurt" people with my knowledge of martial arts and anytime I have had to fight I usually put them in some sort of hold until they stop.

    Cops seem to be very HAPPY to hurt and even kill. These people do not care about killing, killing just this one lady sends RIPPLES through a family, think of this ladies parents. friends, uncles....sad...sad...sad.
    Last edited by ZENemy; 05-30-2013 at 02:04 PM.

  30. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    Agreed, I cant understand the police anymore.

    I grew up practicing martial arts (I still do) and my teachers (Ive had a few) always seemed afraid of their power. Im not claiming to be some tough guy or a master but I have always been afraid to "hurt" people with my knowledge of martial arts and anytime I have had to fight I usually put them in some sort of hold until they stop.

    Cops seem to be very HAPPY to hurt and even kill. These people do not care about killing, killing just this one lady sends RIPPLES through a family, think of this ladies parents, friends, uncles....sad...sad...sad.
    +1 After training in combat martial arts for a good amount of time, delivering blows designed to seriously hurt an opponent becomes natural. (that's what the training is for, after all) I've had the same experience as you WRT that. There's also the potential for getting sued for accidentally hurting someone (ogoshi-throwing an attacker onto concrete, for example). The good thing about MA training (particularly traditional MA) is that we typically take respecting opponents and others seriously as a core value (which is very distinct from what cops do).

    What do you train in? I have background in kung fu, judo, karate, sword, and staff, and still train in Shito-ryu karate and weapons.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 05-30-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    The government is incapable of doing what it's supposed to do. A job like the provision of security is something best left to private institutions.
    My music/art page is here"government is the enemy of liberty"-RP
    That which doesn't kill me has made a grave tactical error
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This whole board is a thoughtcrime in progress.
    [IMG]
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BMoF6luCUAIm1vO.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://asset.zcache.com/assets/graphics/s.gif[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by danke View Post
    I carry my man purse for fashion, not function.

  31. #30
    Needs a bigger boat Anti Federalist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In a Nine Line Bind
    Posts
    51,878
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZENemy View Post
    Agreed, I cant understand the police anymore.
    Well, I'm not ever going to be keen on the idea of "shooting to wound".

    If it comes to drawing a firearm, the chance for de-escalation is pretty much lost.

    You shoot for center mass and to stop an immediate deadly threat and you keep shooting until the threat is gone.

    That's what's so troubling about so many of the cases, this one as well.

    The cops charge in, guns drawn, ready to light up whoever stands in their way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast




« Previous Thread | Next Thread »


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •