Thread: Joe Miller files to run in 2014 Alaska Senate Race

Joe Miller files to run in 2014 Alaska Senate Race

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/0...014-91960.html

Joe Miller files papers for Senate
    By: Alexander Burns
    May 28, 2013 06:28 PM EDT

It looks like it’s time to stop calling Joe Miller a former Senate candidate.

The Alaska conservative activist who lost a 2010 bid for the Senate after besting incumbent Sen. Lisa Murkowski in a GOP primary, has filed a form indicating he intends to run for Senate again in 2014, according to documentation from the office of the Secretary of the Senate.

On May 2, Miller filed a Federal Election Commission Form 2 stating his intent to run for Senate next year. It’s a document that any candidate must complete upon receiving more than $5,000 in contributions to a political campaign or authorizing another party to take in over $5,000 in contributions.

The form states that Joseph W. Miller of Fairbanks, Alaska, plans to run for Senate as a Republican in 2014, and that Citizens for Joe Miller has been designated as his principal campaign committee.

A phone call to Miller’s office and an email to his spokesman were not immediately returned.

Miller has made no secret of his interest in a possible challenge to Democratic Sen. Mark Begich, but has maintained a public pose of indecision on the race.

In April, Miller wrote on his website that he was considering a 2014 campaign against Begich and throwing an elbow at his old opponent, Murkowski, at the same time.

“Serious times call for bold measures. With the re-election of Barack Obama, our very way of self-government is in peril,” Miller wrote. “Though I was labeled an ‘extremist’ by the likes of Lisa Murkowski and Mark Begich for telling the truth, both of our sitting senators now routinely engage in such ‘extremist’ rhetoric with respect to federal overreach, government spending, and entitlement reform. Yet they are still unwilling to tackle the tough issues.”

He met earlier this year with National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman Jerry Moran about a potential campaign.

Miller is a divisive figure among Republicans in Alaska and Washington D.C. He ran a hard-right primary campaign against Murkowski in 2010 and won with support from the Palin family and conservative outside groups, but then lost in the general election after Murkowski mounted a write-in bid as an independent Republican.

The fallout from that race has continued to ripple in Miller’s present-day career. In mid-May, an Alaska judge ordered Miller to pay over $85,000 to the news organization Alaska Dispatch due to a drawn-out lawsuit over the publication’s attempts to reveal records of Miller’s time as a government lawyer.

A poll taken the first week of May by the Republican group Harper Polling found Miller’s personal image in strongly negative territory. Forty-nine percent of respondents had an unfavorable opinion of the Yale Law grad, versus 34 percent who had a favorable impression and 17 percent who had no opinion of Miller or had not heard of him.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    GO JOE!!

It's Miller time!
    Pledge to donate to Rep. Thomas Massie on 4/20: (http://FundPatriotsDay.com)

Donate to Rep. Thomas Massie on 4/20 (http://ThomasMassie.com)

Follow Me on twitter: @MassieBomb

Good luck, he's going to need it.

I'm assuming that means Palin isn't running, and that she IS running in 2016. Her supporters are pulling for 2016, but some wanted the senate seat.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    GO JOE!!

It's Miller time!

Way To Go, Joe!
    Go For It Totally!

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I'm assuming that means Palin isn't running, and that she IS running in 2016. Her supporters are pulling for 2016, but some wanted the senate seat.
    I doubt she'd run against Rand. She likes him a lot, she even wrote his Time 100 thing.

Primarying Murkowski is certainly a possibility, but also probably unlikely.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Palin should definitely take out Murkowski once and for all in 2016.

Maybe she is waiting for that Senate seat.

Miller would not run if Palin was.

So it's Miller vs. Establishment once again.
    Last edited by Warlord; 05-28-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    Pledge to donate to Rep. Thomas Massie on 4/20: (http://FundPatriotsDay.com)

Donate to Rep. Thomas Massie on 4/20 (http://ThomasMassie.com)

Follow Me on twitter: @MassieBomb

It would have a certain poetry to it, wouldn't it?

But I don't know that she wouldn't run for the White House. I guess we'll find out. I do like the idea of her taking out Murkowski, now that you mention it, that tickles me.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Murkowski would just run as a write-in and win again...it's just unfortunate that Joe's campaign fell apart when it did. He had that race won. Hopefully he can shed his baggage by next year.

Does anyone know how accurate the polls are on Wikipedia? Joe miller is losing by 20 points according to those polls. Does anyone here think he has a good shot at winning.

Murkowski is running again in 2016. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Palin help Miller campaign this time out, then go head to head with that shriveled up RINO for the other seat.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    I doubt she'd run against Rand. She likes him a lot, she even wrote his Time 100 thing.

Primarying Murkowski is certainly a possibility, but also probably unlikely.

Miller would not run if Palin was.

So it's Miller vs. Establishment once again.
    It would have a certain poetry to it, wouldn't it?

But I don't know that she wouldn't run for the White House. I guess we'll find out. I do like the idea of her taking out Murkowski, now that you mention it, that tickles me.

is Sarah Palin open to AGRICULTURE or INTERIOR down the road if she becomes part of the campaign's bandwagon?
    Joe Miller's life would be easier if his goals and hers aren't inside an overlap. she is young and can be very helpful. i
    think the older group of party honchos around John McCain really got her POed at the party insiders. she has talked
    about building up a long term political grassroots network that over time wins the elections, whether national or local.

Quote Originally Posted by RPfan1992 View Post
    Does anyone know how accurate the polls are on Wikipedia? Joe miller is losing by 20 points according to those polls. Does anyone here think he has a good shot at winning.
    I think his shot was in 2010. He has some pretty high negatives now and it is going to be rough for him. It is really too bad, he is great on the issues

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
    I think his shot was in 2010. He has some pretty high negatives now and it is going to be rough for him. It is really too bad, he is great on the issues
    Why are his negatives so high?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Why are his negatives so high?
    He is great on the issues but rough in delivery. I got the sense that in that cycle he didn't understand how to reach out past his own political base. That is how Murkowski was able to effectively split the electorate into three and win. It was a long campaign that turned personal between the two camps. His campaign also had some PR nightmares like when they handcuffed some reporters during an event.

PPP last had Miller at 20% Favorable, 63% Unfavorable in their February Poll.

The negatives will be there. We just have to get the majority.

That means run Begich through the mud and get him stuck there.

These people should get real jobs.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I'm sure a Ron and Rand endorsement will help out.
    "We have nothing to fear except our own unwillingness to defend what is naturally ours, our God-given rights. We have nothing to fear that should cause us to forget or relinquish our rights as free men and women. To thrive, we must believe in ourselves again, and we must never, never trade our liberty for any fleeting promise of security." - Rand Paul