Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rand Paul "Open to Voting for Senate Immigration Bill"

Rand Paul "Open to Voting for Senate Immigration Bill"

Rand Paul open to voting for Senate immigration bill

The Hill
    May 26, 2013

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) said that his chamber’s immigration bill needs to be improved, but that there’s still a chance he could vote for it.

Paul said that he could end up backing immigration reform if Senate negotiators will work with him on his push to certify that the border is secure. Paul though warned that the bill also goes in the wrong direction on work visas.

“I support immigration reform. At this time, I think the bill needs to strengthen border security. It also needs to expand work visas,” Paul said on ABC’s “This Week.”

“I will support a bill that fixes it, and I do want to support a bill,” Paul added.

Paul though said that he was against a pathway to citizenship for people currently in the country illegally, a key plank of the Senate bill.

“I just don't want to create a new line, or give a new preference to people who are here undocumented,” Paul said. “But I am all in favor of letting undocumented workers become documented workers, and finding a place for them.”

The Senate Judiciary Committee passed the immigration measure with a bipartisan vote last week, but Sen. Bob Menendez (D-N.J.) also said recently that he's not sure the bill has 60 votes in the chamber yet.

Related Articles:

National Review: Marco Rubio Can't Defend His Own Immigration Bill

Neither Marco Rubio Nor His Amnesty Plan Is Conservative
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    'if you want it passed you must come to me and put in some stuff that pretty much only a couple others support at this point' = 'there's a chance i would vote for it'? that's like ron paul saying he would endorse mitt romney if he agrees to withdraw troops from afghan and abolish the federal reserve. holy $#@! are democrats desperate
    Last edited by jtstellar; 05-26-2013 at 05:16 PM.

The thing is there is some really bad stuff in there and it would be really nice if someone were creating a rallying point against it, highlighting the bad points, which even if he votes against it at the last minute, he is clearly not doing. He has a different approach.

I tend to agree that at the last moment he will likely not vote for it.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

He's been saying the same thing for months... will you chill out.

He's in stealth mode.

I suspect Rand knows very well Warlord's rule:

Anything Schumer does is bad and must be voted against/stopped/filibustered/exposed/ridiculed/flooded with non-germane amendments/ruined/poisoned/bogged down in committee/destroyed.

But they're not going to be so obvious in their strategy and public statements..

Yeah he'll support it if they completely gut the bill and replace it with his language.

Likelihood of this happening?
    Last edited by Warlord; 05-26-2013 at 05:38 PM.
    Pledge to donate to Rep. Thomas Massie on 4/20: (http://FundPatriotsDay.com)

Donate to Rep. Thomas Massie on 4/20 (http://ThomasMassie.com)

Follow Me on twitter: @MassieBomb

He's just saying this in order to not alienate Latino voters but will almost certainly end up voting against this bill in the end.

I don't think he's going to end up voting for it. I think there's too much in it that he doesn't support.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    He's just saying this in order to not alienate Latino voters but will almost certainly end up voting against this bill in the end.
    Rand Paul needs to be careful not to alienate his base (anti-Amnesty) supporters.
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by matt0611 View Post
    I don't think he's going to end up voting for it. I think there's too much in it that he doesn't support.
    Especially once the Senate as a whole starts rejecting GOP floor amendments
    I ignore the fact that RP's take back the GOP strategy is working. I ignore the fact that RP accomplished more from his 2008 GOP run than he ever has before. I ignore the fact that 3rd party candidates lose and are a joke to voters. I ignore all this b/c I have an arousing fantasy where RP runs 3rd party in 2012, magically polls at 15%, magically is allowed in the debates, and then magically wins the election. Trust me, it'll work this time.
    - The naive attitude of too many RPF members

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand's problem is that he has some common interests with the Gang of 8 but the way they get there is incompatible. For example, the Gang wants a pathway, so does Rand, but he doesn't want them paying penalties and having to go back. Rand wants border security to be a complex arrangement where reports are produced by border states and voted on in Congress but the gang doesn't want that. Rand wants to get rid of E-Verify and have no Biometric ID card yet the gang seems to favor both. I think Rand is trying to talk a good game on immigration, where he doesn't sound bigoted and someone hispanics can trust if he is the nominee, yet will not vote on it because it's a horrible bill and is anti-liberty.

I don't understand why this is newsworthy. Isn't this exactly what Rand has been saying for months? Work visas and border security. No separate line to citizenship.

He'll be able to say he voted against the immigration bill because of [Insert red meat] and yet he supported immigration the whole time when he lobbied for expanding the work visas.

He's playing both sides brilliantly. Not only that but he'll be VERY newsworthy when a "supporter" voted against the immigration bill *GASP*
    Last edited by AlexAmore; 05-26-2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Founder and leader of the militant wing of the Salvation Army.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    Rand Paul needs to be careful not to alienate his base (anti-Amnesty) supporters.

Yeah but he's not going to sound anti-Amnesty. He's posing as a supporter of the concept like a super-secret agent (if all conditions are met) but he has set the bar high and he's never going to get any of what he wants because Schumer is an $#@! and has cooked up a deal between unions and the Chamber of Commerce. They're stuck with a bad bill now and sooner or later it will be decision time. Rubio is already running away from it and Goodlatte in the House is asserting himself saying he doesn't care what the Senate does the House will act on its own and he's going to be in control.

Rand is just trying to sound reasonable while he plunges the dagger in Schumer's back.

I understand Rand's hand here. He's trying to move to the center on this issue possibly slightly right of center that way he can have these cards to play in the general. My concern is if he plays to far to the center on this he might just not make it that far to play his cards in the general. I'm still of the opinion that a good republican like Rand can win on the republican ticket by simply being himself without having to play games. The white vote will still decide the presidential elections at least for two more cycles before the pandering has to get bad. Problem is the damn democraps are trying to rush this $#@! through so they can widen their base so he's gotta ride the fence a little on this issue, but he risks losing the primary or at least losing a ton of potential supporters to a Rick Santorum type. Even though in reality any republican elected like Bush, will push amnesty in a heart beat once in office. Rand is really in the lead imo although it's early so he's really having to walk a tightrope right now. It's going to be tough on him, but if he can pull it off, he's the MAN!

"Rand Paul's Support Just Dropped: "Open to Voting for Senate Immigration Bill""
    What's with the anti-Rand thread title in his forum? Not to mention there's nothing new there so not sure why you would state his support just dropped. Did you take a poll or something or did you just use your crystal ball?

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotOne View Post
    What's with the anti-Rand thread title in his forum? Not to mention there's nothing new there so not sure why you would state his support just dropped. Did you take a poll or something or did you just use your crystal ball?
    I don't see anything new or different from Rand on this issue. So I'm not clear on how his "support" would suddenly drop. I probably missed something.
    Last edited by anaconda; 05-26-2013 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rich34 View Post
    My concern is if he plays to far to the center on this he might just not make it that far to play his cards in the general. !
    The Republican Party doesn't exactly have a history of nominating immigration hawks for President. (Bush and McCain) The kind of comments you read on free republic about how any type of immigration reform at all equals "amnesty" is simply a fringe minority position. The vast majority of Americans support the general concept of immigration reform, although they may not support the Gang of Eight Bill.
    Last edited by Brett85; 05-26-2013 at 06:50 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I don't see anything new or different from Rand on this issue. So I'm not clear on how his "support" would suddenly drop. I probably missed something.
    I don't either. I'm sure Sailingaway is working on changing the negative thread title as we speak.

So, basically, he's "open" to voting for it if they change the hell out of it.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    The media will have fun spinning this story and make Rand Paul look Pro-Amnesty. Bad move Rand, Bad move.
    ----

The media will have fun spinning this story
    And you helped by posting their title. It doesn't accurately reflect Rand's stance, but yet you helped them spread it. In fact, I just heard that you had originally posted that Rand's support dropped and other cute little things in the title. How dare you, Frank.

and make Rand Paul look Pro-Amnesty. Bad move Rand, Bad move.
    His main competition right now is Rubio who was IN the Gang of 8. Rand's view is not going to freak them out at all.

Have you forgotten who got the Republican nomination last go round?

And Frank, if you care anything about Rand at all, think about what you name threads about him. Otherwise, you are furthering the untrue meme that the media is trying to push.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 05-26-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

His main competition right now is Rubio who was IN the Gang of 8. Rand's view is not going to freak them out at all.

Have you forgotten who got the Republican nomination last go round?

And Frank, if you care anything about Rand at all, think about what you name threads about him. Otherwise, you are furthering the untrue meme that the media is trying to push.
    Conservatives just got finished beating up Marco Rubio about the Immigration bill and Rand just jumped in the middle of it. Those attacks will be focused on Rand Paul now. Terrible move.

In fact, I just heard that you had originally posted that Rand's support dropped and other cute little things in the title. How dare you, Frank.
    I saw a flood of attacks on Rand Paul and I found out about this news article. That's why I posted the title how I did. Rand Paul screwed up.

It even hit the Drudge Report.
    Last edited by FrankRep; 05-26-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    ----

Conservatives just got finished beating up Marco Rubio about the Immigration bill and Rand just jumped in the middle of it. Those attacks will be focused on Rand Paul now. Terrible move.
    I don't agree. He isn't for doing anything on "immigration" UNTIL THEY SECURE THE BORDER. Which they will never agree to do.
    ================

I don't agree. He isn't for doing anything on "immigration" UNTIL THEY SECURE THE BORDER. Which they will never agree to do.
    People will only see "Rand Paul: I support immigration reform."

You know how politics works.
    ----

Maybe. How about you not helping them by you titling things that push that meme?
    ================

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe. How about you not helping them by you titling things that push that meme?
    I said "Rand Paul's Support Just Dropped," and Yes, it did. That's how I found out about the story in the first place.
    ----

The vast majority of people support some type of immigration reform. Those who don't think that our current system is broken and doesn't need any changes are on the fringes, and they aren't a big enough group to influence any election.

Much like Ron said he could support Romney if he changed on foreign intervention, civil liberties, monetary policy, and budgeting,.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    The vast majority of people support some type of immigration reform. Those who don't think that our current system is broken and doesn't need any changes are on the fringes, and they aren't a big enough group to influence any election.
    Will those "vast majority of people" be voting in the Republican Primary? Nope.
    ----

Even Sessions says that. They all do.

Will those "vast majority of people" be voting in the Republican Primary? Nope.
    I've seen polls that show that close to 50% of Republicans support a path to citizenship. I'm not in favor of the Gang of Eight bill, but what Rand is saying is sensible and will appeal to most Republicans. He's basically saying that he wants to make the bill more conservative, and since that ultimately won't happen he'll vote against the bill.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast