Thread: Texas: Drug Tests Only For Unemployment Benefits, Not Welfare Recipients

Texas: Drug Tests Only For Unemployment Benefits, Not Welfare Recipients

I'd rather have Drug Tests for Welfare Recipients.

Drug tests for unemployment benefits approved

KHOU/AP
    May 25, 2013

Workers who lose their jobs would have to clear a drug screening to qualify for unemployment compensation under a proposal approved by the Texas Legislature.

Under current law, employers take out insurance policies to help laid-off workers survive on weekly payments of $62 to $440. Those who are fired for cause, including failing an employer-sponsored drug test, do not qualify.

The changes approved Saturday would require laid-off workers to fill out state questionnaires. Answers considered suspicious would lead to drug tests. Workers who fail would lose their benefits.

Republican Sen. Tommy Williams said the program will help maintain a competent workforce.

Democrats have blocked a separate measure that would have required drug testing for welfare recipients. But the bill targeting unemployed workers will now go to the governor.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd rather the government have no drug tests at all. It's none of their god damned business what I put in my body.

Oh, and while they're at it, instead of more intervention, just stop intervention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    I'd rather the government have no drug tests at all. It's none of their god damned business what I put in my body.
    If you're on Welfare, spending your time and money on drugs may not be the best idea.
    ----

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

One more chain in The Matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    If you're on Welfare, spending your time and money on drugs may not be the best idea.
    bro we don't need to drug test for unemployment or welfare. We need to end these programs altogether

Welfare shouldn't exist. But if they're going to forcibly take money from us to fund it, I see no good reason they should additionally take even more for the drug screenings...
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

We've already been expropriated for welfare; why expropriate us again for authoritarian non-solutions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFanatic View Post
    Welfare shouldn't exist. But if they're going to forcibly take money from us to fund it, I see no good reason they should additionally take even more for the drug screenings...
    Okay, good luck repealing welfare benefits.
    ----

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, it won't happen, but I don't see how the drug test even mitigates the problem. It just increases cost.
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Did they learn nothing from the expensive fiasco this became in Florida? Here is a link to a Dallas editorial about it.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'