Thread: What Ron Paul Did For Me, by Sherry Peel Jackson (tweeted tonight)

What Ron Paul Did For Me, by Sherry Peel Jackson (tweeted tonight)

Many of you don’t know that Ron Paul played a part in my rescue when I was in prison. First, let me say that I met Ron Paul a couple of times before I went to the slammer, and he and his wife were gracious and warm. Even though we didn’t get together during the filming of Aaron Russo’s movie America: Freedom To Fascism, both of us were featured in the movie.

When I was ill in late 2009 there was an outcry after people were informed of the severity of my condition. I had written a letter to my U.S. Congressman (Hank Johnson) via prison e-mail, and forwarded it to my husband to deliver to him since the congressman was not on my approved e-mail list. My husband, without editing the letter, sent it out to about 20 supporters after furnishing a copy to the congressman. These supporters were outraged at what I was going through. At least one of these supporters had a large e-mail list and he forwarded the letter to his entire list. That desperate cry for help went viral, and soon I was receiving letters of encouragement and financial support from literally all over the globe.

Someone got in touch with Ron Paul’s office. I don’t live in Texas, but he and his staff took action and contacted the prison with a demand for information about my situation. Shortly after Ron Paul’s inquiry about my treatment I was shipped away to a high security prison. While in solitary confinement there (for the security of the institution, they say) my medical situation was constantly observed, and I was treated with respect by the medical staff.

Along with Congressman Hank Johnson, I believe that Congressman Ron Paul’s eye on the situation got me the care that I needed so that my condition did not go critical. I was in really bad shape as you can see here

more at link: http://www.sherrypeeljackson.org/newsletter/april-2012/
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I am glad to know that Ron helped her.

I remember when I was first learning about Ron, I started research to learn 'the worst thing about him' so I could see if I could live with it to vote for him against McCain. My threshold wasn't all that high. (Better than McCain or Huckabee who was the next person on my list to check out. I didn't generally vote in primaries, at all.) I kept hitting odd ball 'really good guy' stuff like this. Like sending back the athletic scholorship he had won when he had a sports injury in high school, blowing out his knees, and felt he likely couldn't compete any more -- even though the college said he could keep it.

He went to a less expensive college where he was able to work his way through.

Or another one where I forget what the guy was arrested for, but there were civil liberties issues attached and Ron flew out on his own to testify at his trial.

Things like the 'Compassion' story (although I didn't hear that specific one until the campaign) or his always treating people whether they could pay his fees or not and would not take medicare or medicaid.

Or sticking to his guns in congress despite outrageous pressure to the point of even abolishing a committee he was up to chair, until they could get someone more senior in who could chair it again.

I've been thinking about it since the election, and about what makes me discount so many who mouth his policies now that they are popular, and I have decided character is as important to me as policies, because otherwise you can't count on people sticking up for the policies when the pressure and advancement sticks and carrots are in play, anyhow.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-25-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden