Thread: Action Alert: GOING 2 FULL ASSEMBLY AB351 to NULLIFY NDAA Indefinite Detention

Action Alert: GOING 2 FULL ASSEMBLY AB351 to NULLIFY NDAA Indefinite Detention

UPDATE!! The bill passed the Appropriations Committee as well and is on its way to the full Assembly for a vote!! Call your assemblymen/women and pass the word!!

Here's a tweet to retweet and if you click it all the assemblyman contact info is in there:
    https://twitter.com/usernamenuse/sta...11513829191681

here's a direct link to the contact info: http://t.co/HjJODMFily

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlinDave View Post
    I don't want to be too redundant and we have several threads on this already so I just posted an update to this thread here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...-Forward-in-CA

The bill passed the Appropriations committee, and now it's going to a full vote of the Assembly!! Time to make one more phone call to your representative in the state assembly to get this puppy passed!!!! WOOOOOOOT!!!!!!
    On April 9th, the California Assembly Public Safety Committee voted unanimously in favor of Assembly Bill 351 (AB351), the California Liberty Preservation Act. The bill has now been assigned to the Assembly Committee on Appropriations with a hearing and vote scheduled for May 15, 2013. [NOTE this is a date change from May 1]

Introduced by Republican Assemblymember Tim Donnelly, AB351 is a strong stand against “indefinite detention” as supposedly authorized by the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of 2012. It declares such federal power to be unconstitutional and also requires the entire state to refuse to enforce or assist its implementation. A broad coalition officially supported the legislation and moved the normally partisan, and strongly democratic, committee to support the republican-introduced legislation.

The appropriations committee is going to be an even tougher path, but an endless stream of strong, but respectful phone calls to committee members in favors is likely to give the bill a chance as passing.

ACTION ITEMS for California

1. CALL the chair of the Appropriations Committee. Thank him for scheduling a hearing on AB351, and politely encourage him to vote YES on AB351.

Mike Gatto (916) 319-2043

2. CALL all the other members of the Appropriations Committee. Strongly, but respectfully, urge each of them to vote YES on AB351. Let them know you want a vote on PRINCIPLE and not party.

Diane Harkey - (916) 319-2073
    Franklin Bigelow - (916) 319-2005
    Raul Bocanegra - (916) 319-2039
    Steven Bradford - (916) 319-2062
    Ian Calderon - (916) 319-2057
    Nora Campos - (916) 319-2027
    Tim Donnelly – bill sponsor
    Susan Talamantes Eggman - (916) 319-2013
    Jimmy Gomez - (916) 319-2051
    Isadore Hall - (916) 319-2064
    Chris Holden - (916) 319-2041
    Eric Linder - (916) 319-2060
    Richard Pan - (916) 319-2009
    Bill Quirk – voted YES in Public Safety – THANK HIM. Encourage him to do the same in this committee - (916) 319-2020
    Donald Wagner - (916) 319-2068
    Shriely Weber - (916) 319-2079

3. Attend the Hearing.

May 1st, 9am.
    Committee homepage for further info:
    http://apro.assembly.ca.gov/

4. Share this information widely. Please pass this along to your friends and family. Also share it with any and all grassroots groups you’re in contact with around the state. Please encourage them to email this information to their members and supporters.

5. Join the NDAA activist group on Facebook. Connect with others, plan strategy, build a coalition, and help get AB351 passed!
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/nullifyndaacalifornia/

6. Call your own Assembly member. Strongly, but respectfully, urge them to co-sponsor this legislation

Find your legislator here:
    http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov/

BILL INFORMATION

AB351 establishes the proper constitutional role by first citing the 10th Amendment as limiting the power of the federal government as to that which has been delegated to it and nothing more.

The Tenth Amendment to the United States Constitution authorizes the United States federal government to exercise only those powers specifically delegated to it in the United States Constitution.

It then declares the indefinite detention powers under NDAA to be unconstitutional:

Sections 1021 and 1022 of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012 (NDAA) codifies indefinite military detention without charge or trial of civilians captured far from any battlefield, violating the United States Constitution and corroding our nation’s commitment to the rule of law

Most importantly, the bill requires the entire state apparatus, including all local governments, to refuse to implement the federal act, or any other federal act (such as AUMF) that might be cited to give the same power to the federal government:

It is the policy of this state to refuse to provide material support for or to participate in any way with the implementation within this state of any federal law that purports to authorize indefinite detention of a person within California.

This would make a HUGE dent in any effort to further restrict due process – and would be a big step forward for California. It would also create shockwaves around the rest of the country. As Judge Andrew Napolitano has said recently, such widespread noncompliance can make a federal law “nearly impossible to enforce” (video here). And in those limited situations where enforcement does occur, Rosa Parks has taught us all the power of “NO!” Passage of AB351 would mark the beginning of the end of NDAA indefinite detention in California.

more: http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com...ite-detention/
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-24-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump... Everyone in California, if you haven't already done it, this is round 2 -- Please take a few minutes to call all these committee members. You don't need to call during business hours; leave messages if you can't call during business hours. It will still get counted.

If you are leaving a message, make sure to state your name and the city you live in (so they know you're in California), and politely ask them to vote Yes on Assembly Bill 351 (or AB 351), and ask them to please vote on principle because it's an important one.
    "Some supporters of the war use their religion to justify the war. Evidently, I’ve been reading from a different Bible." — Ron Paul
    “I'm supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want.” ― Ron Paul

My crazy whistling YouTube channel
    My crazy whistling music on iTunes

bump!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Bump!
    "Some supporters of the war use their religion to justify the war. Evidently, I’ve been reading from a different Bible." — Ron Paul
    “I'm supportive of all voluntary associations and people can call it whatever they want.” ― Ron Paul

Just found out this hearing got rescheduled for May 15th. If you live in California and haven't made some calls, please consider taking a few minutes to make your voice heard on this. There's still time! Thanks!

http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com...ite-detention/

Bump! Hearing date is next Wednesday the 15th.

Bump! Hearing date is next Wednesday the 15th.
    Thanks.

bump for date change for the hearing! Time to make another round of calls!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Bump -- One day away from hearing... Plenty of time to make those calls!!!

If you live in California and can't take ten minutes to do this, I seriously don't know why you would even have any interest in being on this forum. This is an opportunity to do something real to fight for Liberty!!! (And thank you to everyone who has called all these committee members!)

OK... So apparently this bill was suspended by the Appropriations Committee. Yesterday, they heard testimony on it, and it sounds like they are going to be taking it "out of suspense" for a committee vote on May 24th 2013. I'm not 100% sure how accurate that date is, because I couldn't find this information on the Assembly webpage; it came from a comment on someone's blog.

Apparently there was a concern that California might be denied Federal funding if we pass this bill to nullify NDAA indefinite detention without due process. I was able to find video of the testimony. Audio is terrible, so you might need headphones to hear it. All of it is good, but the last 3 or 4 minutes is really good.

(Search tags) AB 351 AB351 A.B.351 A.B. 351

OK... So apparently this bill was suspended by the Appropriations Committee. Yesterday, they heard testimony on it, and it sounds like they are going to be taking it "out of suspense" for a committee vote on May 24th 2013. I'm not 100% sure how accurate that date is, because I couldn't find this information on the Assembly webpage; it came from a comment on someone's blog.

Apparently there was a concern that California might be denied Federal funding if we pass this bill to nullify NDAA indefinite detention without due process. I was able to find video of the testimony. Audio is terrible, so you might need headphones to hear it. All of it is good, but the last 3 or 4 minutes is really good.

(Search tags) AB 351 AB351 A.B.351 A.B. 351
    thank you.

Let them show the progs they'd deny funding if a state says NDAA is unConstitutional.

Let the STATE show the progs they will KNOW it is unconstitutional and not defend state citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    thank you.

Let them show the progs they'd deny funding if a state says NDAA is unConstitutional.

Let the STATE show the progs they will KNOW it is unconstitutional and not defend state citizens.
    Exactly... Even if Federal funding might be withheld, it shouldn't change their decision. They're stuck with either doing the right thing, or being douchebags who would sell out our civil liberties. Unconstitutional is unconstitutional.

(And you're welcome... I really can't wait to see this become law! And I hope it makes the news when it does.)

I don't want to be too redundant and we have several threads on this already so I just posted an update to this thread here:

The bill passed the Appropriations committee, and now it's going to a full vote of the Assembly!! Time to make one more phone call to your representative in the state assembly to get this puppy passed!!!! WOOOOOOOT!!!!!!

All hands on deck!! I'll add this to the OP and copy the thread to the California forum, so emails will go out to people who subscribed to that forum.