Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Boy Scouts vote to allow gay members

Exclamation Boy Scouts vote to allow gay members

Boy Scouts vote to allow gay members

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-vote/2352077/

Elizabeth Weise, USA TODAY6:20 p.m. EDT May 23, 2013

The Boy Scouts of America voted Thursday to allow gay youth to participate in scouting. The historic vote, with 60% in favor, signals another shift in American public opinion about homosexuality but still leaves the organization with many future hurdles.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    AmeriKa:

Free to smoke dick.

Privacy to have an abortion.

Not so much for anything else.

Dumbass stupidity bowing to public pressure.

Meh. The biggest troop in Los Angeles has annually sent a memo to national reiterating that they are staying in scouts to get change from within, strictly follow youth protection procedures including never letting a child sleep in a tent with an adult other than parent, and that they absolutely refuse to ban gay scouts or leaders as a class. Note that the problems BSA ever had were with people called straight, in any event.

If it is voluntary change, I am all for it. I do think private organizations have the right to make their own rules.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Who cares? There's no reason gays shouldn't be allowed in the boy scouts, if they are indeed boys.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    If it is voluntary change, I am all for it.
    Well, I'm not so sure a generation of badgering, heckling, lawsuits and threats of legal action are what I would call "voluntary".

Not the biggest issue for me, Scouting comes out of the "progressive" era, and is much too focused on loyalty to the state.

Scouting will probably go the way of most "mainstream" religions in another 20 years.

scouting teaches self reliance and skills. If it becomes mainstream it will teach fear and avoidance, not gun safety and survival.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

It looks like it is still under debate whether they are a public organization or a private one. They like to say they're private, but they accept tax perks and other fiduciary perks from State and Federal government - accepting one red cent from the Feds means they are not private in my book.

If they were private - I agree they should have the right to accept or deny whomever they want on any basis they want.
    If they are public - I think they should have to accept gays.

I think they are public, and I view this as a victory. IMO
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is not the country I was born in--seriously!

They are really jamming this life-style down our throats to try and divide this country further. It is neither government nor the people's business what people do behind closed doors.

They are seriously exploiting homosexuals anymore. If I were a homosexual I would take offense at their exploitation.

The only way, IMHO to stop this is to not give-in to it. This is nothing more than a hijacked version of the Boy Scouts that I remembered growing up around. Boys went into boy scouts to learn skills and survival. Of course TPTB don't want boys learning that!!!
    Last edited by donnay; 05-27-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

scouting teaches self reliance and skills. If it becomes mainstream it will teach fear and avoidance, not gun safety and survival.

On the contrary they are teaching boys that guns need to be controlled.

This is what they are training boys to be...

The Explorers program, a coeducational affiliate of the Boy Scouts of America that began 60 years ago, is training thousands of young people in skills used to confront terrorism, illegal immigration and escalating border violence — an intense ratcheting up of one of the group’s longtime missions to prepare youths for more traditional jobs as police officers and firefighters.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/14/us...ers.html?_r=2&
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I don't think this is that big of a deal, either way. But I think the Boy Scouts made the right decision.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Death of a once-proud organization. All they did was piss off the side that liked them, the other side will still hate them no matter how much they pander to them.

Seems kind of an usual topic for AF, but I am not necessarily disapprove.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by V3n View Post
    It looks like it is still under debate whether they are a public organization or a private one. They like to say they're private, but they accept tax perks and other fiduciary perks from State and Federal government - accepting one red cent from the Feds means they are not private in my book.

If they were private - I agree they should have the right to accept or deny whomever they want on any basis they want.
    If they are public - I think they should have to accept gays.

I think they are public, and I view this as a victory. IMO
    If I get financial aid to go to school, am I public property?
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Seems kind of an usual topic for AF, but I am not necessarily disapprove.
    You do mean, UNusual, am I right?

Because I normally steer clear of such topics...

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    If I get financial aid to go to school, am I public property?
    You're not an organization.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow at some of the comments in this thread. If I was a moderator, I'd put it in Hot Topic just to hide it.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    This is not the country I was born in--seriously!

They are really jamming this life-style down our throats to try and divide this country further. It is neither government nor the people's business what people due behind closed doors.

They are seriously exploiting homosexuals anymore. If I were a homosexual I would take offense at their exploitation.

The only way, IMHO to stop this is to not give-in to it. This is nothing more than a hijacked version of the Boy Scouts that I remembered growing up around. Boys went into boy scouts to learn skills and survival. Of course TPTB don't want boys learning that!!!
    I still have my scouts handbook (I was only in it for a year or so, and only got one badge). If you get a handbook off ebay or something, you can teach your sons all that stuff without sending them off with a pervy scout leader.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

As a former scout, good on them.

Again, this is not about "allowing gays". It's about allowing kids who are gay to not have to hide it. Several of my former scouting friends are now openly gay, post scouts. If you aren't comfortable with gays (well, thats your problem), at least now you know who they are.

Edit: My first introduction to guns was in scouts. Moved me from being terrified of them to being a great shot, and a safe shooter.
    Last edited by jonhowe; 05-23-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    As a former scout, good on them.

Again, this is not about "allowing gays". It's about allowing kids who are gay to not have to hide it. Several of my former scouting friends are now openly gay, post scouts. If you aren't comfortable with gays (well, thats your problem), at least now you know who they are.
    I wasn't aware there was a large crowd of 8-year-old homosexuals in the Boy Scouts clamoring for a chance to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    I wasn't aware there was a large crowd of 8-year-old homosexuals in the Boy Scouts clamoring for a chance to come out.
    Because they were never allowed to speak up until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Wow at some of the comments in this thread. If I was a moderator, I'd put it in Hot Topic just to hide it.
    Huh? What are you talking about?

I am disheartened by this decision. As a former (and rehabilitated) Boy Scout, I can assure everyone that we had no freewill or willpower. It was a very corrupting time in my life. All homosexuals did was try to seduce us and we eventually succumb to the gay side. All they think about is sex. Once a gay replaced my Scout Manual with homosexual erotica. The BSA just ensured the destruction of generations.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulFanInGA View Post
    First of all, that's a non point. 8 year olds are cub scouts.

Second of all, I don't think most people realize they're gay until later in life than 8... Should a 17 year old, who's pouring hours into community service and self improvement, be required to lie about his sexuality? Clearly, the BSA no longer thinks so.

Again: good on them.

Please note: if this had happened due to some government mandate, I'd be livid. This is a private organization making a wise decision.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    I still have my scouts handbook (I was only in it for a year or so, and only got one badge). If you get a handbook off ebay or something, you can teach your sons all that stuff without sending them off with a pervy scout leader.

I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    On the contrary they are teaching boys that guns need to be controlled.

This is what they are training boys to be...
    that's the NYTimes disinformation, an anti scouting source if there ever was one.

Quote Originally Posted by familydog View Post
    I am disheartened by this decision. As a former (and rehabilitated) Boy Scout, I can assure everyone that we had no freewill or willpower. It was a very corrupting time in my life. All homosexuals did was try to seduce us and we eventually succumb to the gay side. All they think about is sex. Once a gay replaced my Scout Manual with homosexual erotica. The BSA just ensured the destruction of generations.
    That sounds like sexual harassment, or even borderline molestation if it was an adult. I think you have a whole separate issue there my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by familydog View Post
    This has to be trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by V3n View Post
    You're not an organization.
    they get it because they do stuff the govt wants out there and people aren't going to govt institutions for their information. YOu want an organization to do stuff, and fund it, like the church hospitals with vaccinations, you don't get to tell them to perform abortions in my opinion. Or what membership to have. In my mind there is no question that they are private, and they made a decision here.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-23-2013 at 06:18 PM.

that's the NYTimes disinformation, an anti scouting source if there ever was one.
    Which is why I think RonPaulFaninGA makes a valid point.

By capitulating on this decision, the NYT and the rest now smell blood in the water, and they'll redouble their efforts.

And Scouting will cease to be in another 20 years.

Which was, of course, the point.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast