Thread: New home prices bust past bubble time peak

New home prices bust past bubble time peak

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...me%20Price.jpg

NEW Home sales are now priced higher than the PEAK of the housing bubble.

Discussion;

Is this a double top or an indication that the USD is going all toilet paper on us?

I'm really starting to count the days down to currecy collapse (a major one). It won't be the USD first (cough, YEN, cough). HOWEVER the implications of that will have negative impacts on American markets.

The FED is already inflating to keep up with Japanese money printing.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Houses in my neighborhood that would have sold for $100K a year ago are now being listed at $180K. It's like 2006 deja-vu, except this time the economy is even weaker...
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

My inkling is not double bubble - it's currency collapse.

I think people who fixed their rates and bought after the bubble burst will see the value of the loan they took out plumment as currencies get torched.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    Houses in my neighborhood that would have sold for $100K a year ago are now being listed at $180K. It's like 2006 deja-vu, except this time the economy is even weaker...

It's an indication that new home sales are primarily in more expensive markets, like San Francisco, and not in places where prices haven't yet recovered. Using aggregates is silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    It's an indication that new home sales are primarily in more expensive markets, like San Francisco, and not in places where prices haven't yet recovered. Using aggregates is silly.
    Thanks. You seem to have your hands in this market more than others so I was looking for your response.

Seraphim,

While I do think a currency collapse is the direction currencies are being pushed, and things can happen very quickly, I don't think it will happen quite that quickly.

Currency destruction. Real value is still substantially less. Since the last high on that chart we've added about $10T in federal debt, printed in excess of $30T - much of which was aimed at the housing market very specifically - and added another $10T in student debt, which is defaulting at record (and rising) rates.

Pay attention to the price they sell, not what they're listed for..

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Totally agree with this assessment.

I agree that aggregates are not the holy grail the Keynes clap traps claim it to be - but aggregates are what are used to determine recessions and booms.

Consistent use of metrics does provide some feedback.

These metrics are tricky. Is this just list price? If so, with interest rates so freaking low, new-home-buyers are able to go after bigger, better, more expensive houses for lower monthly payments. On a $300,000 loan, every 1-percent decrease in interest rates knocks about $175 off the monthly payment. That implies that between now and the peak, the monthly mortgage could be about $350 cheaper, for the same exact home. Put another way, off the top of my head, I think this means that due only to mortgage rate differences, the monthly payment on a house today is equivalent to the monthly payment on a house ~$80k more expensive several years ago.

You've got to make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Places like Zerohedge are good sources of information, but they're so often bombastic and willfully, knowingly, ignoring important details.
    Last edited by KingNothing; 05-23-2013 at 10:43 AM.

This article from the Seattle Times gives great insight to what is happening in that market at least.

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...estorsxml.html

This is just the beginning of a huge wave of investment
    Last edited by No1butPaul; 05-23-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    "We live in an age where things change rather rapidly, whether politically or economically and certainly in foreign policy things change, so this whole ball game can change rather rapidly.” ― Ron Paul

They can put whatever price they want on a house. What happens when nobody buys?

A house I know just sold for 8G's over his already ridiculously high listing price.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyjam View Post
    A house I know just sold for 8G's over his already ridiculously high listing price.
    Where?

Nothings moving in the Ozarks.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Where?

Nothings moving in the Ozarks.
    N. of Dallas, I could seriously think of moving to MO, except they have a property tax on everything there, your car, your house, your tractor, your land, your livestock, probably even the dog.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by libertyjam View Post
    N. of Dallas, I could seriously think of moving to MO, except they have a property tax on everything there, your car, your house, your tractor, your land, your livestock, probably even the dog.
    When you get settled in , pm me for tips to avoid livestock & dog tax.

I own a house in Corpus Christi- not exactly an expensive market- and it's gone from a low of $159k a year ago to worth around $175k today. It's not just the expensive markets that are rising, it's everywhere.
    "Building Freedom in an Unfree World" - http://freedomlovin.com

"All initiation of force is a violation of someone else's rights, whether initiated by an individual or the state, for the benefit of an individual or group of individuals, even if it's supposed to be for the benefit of another individual or group of individuals."
    -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Fredom101 View Post
    I own a house in Corpus Christi- not exactly an expensive market- and it's gone from a low of $159k a year ago to worth around $175k today. It's not just the expensive markets that are rising, it's everywhere.
    I have never bought one that was three figures to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by BAllen View Post
    They can put whatever price they want on a house. What happens when nobody buys?
    Banks that sit on the assets will be bailed out and therefore continue to sit on the assets while the little guy gets ****ed in the rear. Same as 2008.

Without a bailout, these banks would be forced to liquidate the assets and it could mean getting many people into homes they would like to buy but can't afford. So, yeah, that's not gonna happen.

Been looking at a house myself, lately. Don't know whether to buy or keep saving.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 05-24-2013 at 09:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Home prices are substantially below the bubble prices in New Hampshire. I suspect that chart is a lie or just referring to new homes as it says. Since labor and material prices continue to rise, I'm not surprised that new home prices would increase. That makes a lot of sense. However, they will continue to go up for years, overall, unless something crazy happens.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

I agree with Jordan on what he said.

A couple other things, is that there are ALOT fewer homes for sale if you look around pretty much any where. The past few years I have been living in Vero Beach, FL and South East Michigan. I travel the areas far outside of where I live on a regular basis.

There are alot of areas that are still way under what the peak price was, but there aren't many in those areas selling anymore. Those areas are generally the older suburban neighborhoods from what I have noticed.

The newer areas, or where the area is very stable by a concentration of more well to do individuals however... these areas also don't have as many homes for sale, but they are generally able to sell their homes quickly and it's varying lately.

If you look at the landscape of trends, alot of the huge metropolis suburbs of old are turning into large swaths of renters, and prices generally go down in those areas, and they aren't exactly magnets for jobs as they once were. Essentially as this country is lossing its good jobs, the minority of Americans still making a go at it, is moving into smaller suburban areas and that is where these price increases may be coming from.

As time goes on thought these economic statistics are not meaninful for the average American in concern to his/her own well doing. These numbers better reflect the shrinking minority of Americans still moving along.

All of the empty homes have been sold (in areas other than war-zones like Detroit). The question is, how many people long ago stopped paying their mortgages, yet are still in their homes?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by No1butPaul View Post
    This article from the Seattle Times gives great insight to what is happening in that market at least.

http://seattletimes.com/html/busines...estorsxml.html
    I tend to agree. A lot of this is investment (again). Just like the last bubble.

And once again, there is a large share of foreign investment. All of those US dollars are coming home to roost.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 05-24-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.