Thread: Working in politics for a career

Working in politics for a career

I am just curious if there is anyone else out there interested in pursuing politics as a full-time career? I don't think I would be a good candidate for an office.
    My plan is to be a professional political consultant/strategist/operative type. Think of a Karl Rove/David Axelrod/Ed Rollins type of job, but helping pro-liberty candidates win elections.

Anyone else out there interested in stepping out from behind the keyboard and getting out there and doing this?
    http://www.iycki.org

Pro-life conservative Constitutionalist libertarian.

I stand with Rand.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You should just go ahead, run, win, I will work on your staff.

I would end up offending someone... I wouldn't be great at politics lol.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Are you seeking power and money or are you seeking to shrink government to the point that your job becomes obsolete if you are a success?

That is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    You should just go ahead, run, win, I will work on your staff.
    No, I don't want to be a candidate haha.

I do want enough money to support my family, but I want to be very good at the job, and get pro liberty folks elected.

I don't forsee the government ever being so small that professional advisors aren't helpful. Even if it is a government of three people.
    http://www.iycki.org

Pro-life conservative Constitutionalist libertarian.

I stand with Rand.

I had big plans for it. Started making connections, working on my poli-sci degree, and creating strategies. I worked for the RP12 campaign and found that I have no stomach for it. I'm not really sure how someone like Ron Paul could stand it all these years.

I feel that my calling is non-profit, education, and lobbying for non-profits. Dropped the poli-sci and started to pursue Sociology. I'm much happier being on the outside looking in.

I'd still consider a state legislator position though.

There was an article that said that people calling politicians psycopaths were more accurate then they might suspect.

There was an article that said that people calling politicians psycopaths were more accurate then they might suspect.
    Indeed.

Hard to wear the ring of power without being corrupted by it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by realtonygoodwin View Post
    I am just curious if there is anyone else out there interested in pursuing politics as a full-time career? I don't think I would be a good candidate for an office.
    My plan is to be a professional political consultant/strategist/operative type. Think of a Karl Rove/David Axelrod/Ed Rollins type of job, but helping pro-liberty candidates win elections.

Anyone else out there interested in stepping out from behind the keyboard and getting out there and doing this?
    Just started working on a campaign staff. I as well have aspirations to become the behind the scenes guy. I also wouldn't mind a chief of staff type position for someone in office

Quote Originally Posted by The Northbreather View Post
    Indeed.

Hard to wear the ring of power without being corrupted by it.
    ^this^

Take a look at how the paid Ron Paul staffers shook out the grassroots. And this is within the "liberty" ranks. Just think of what other political campaigs are like.

There are clicks, cults of personality, and all around backstabbing and $#@!-talking. Not to mention dirty deals, and unprincipled people abounding.
    Unless you have some really good candidates to work for and you know personally - then you're gonna need to rub elbows and take classes with the smarmy politicos at the leadership institute. Sure - there are lots of good people, salt of the earth types - but also lots of scumbags around to put it nicely.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Saying you want to be in politics for a living is like saying you want to be a professional baseball player. Chances are it will either never happen or you will be stuck in the minor leagues making minimum wage indefinitely. Only a very small percent actually succeed.
    Waiting for the day the classical liberals drive the hateful alt-right out of the republican party, and the libertarians can rise again.

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointfive View Post
    Take a look at how the paid Ron Paul staffers shook out the grassroots. And this is within the "liberty" ranks. Just think of what other political campaigs are like.

There are clicks, cults of personality, and all around backstabbing and $#@!-talking. Not to mention dirty deals, and unprincipled people abounding.
    Unless you have some really good candidates to work for and you know personally - then you're gonna need to rub elbows and take classes with the smarmy politicos at the leadership institute. Sure - there are lots of good people, salt of the earth types - but also lots of scumbags around to put it nicely.
    I got one peek behind the curtain and this is what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarLocke View Post
    I got one peek behind the curtain and this is what I saw.
    The only campaign I directly worked on was formed of allies from Ron Paul 2008. That went a long way to fostering trust and the friendships already existed.

Ron Paul 2012 was a big difference, and it wasn't as friendly.

//
    Last edited by ninepointfive; 05-14-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Take every Campaign for Liberty, and Freedomworks, and American Majority, and Leadership Institute class that you can.

Then go find a candidate that you like, and volunteer on their Campaign.

Do that a few times, get known, and get to know people, and if you're good at what you do in addition to being likeable, you'll eventually get hired. But keep in mind that the pay is rarely great.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst