Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 91

Thread: NYC schools ban butter

  1. #1

    NYC schools ban butter

    First they went after the candy machines.

    Then they took aim at the sugary sodas. And most of the bake sales. And the greasy french fries at lunchtime.

    And now the latest target of the city schools’ push to fight childhood obesity is something as simple as butter.

    The spreadable delight has been banned from school cafeterias. It can’t be used for cooking or offered with bread.

    And now it’s the subject of an aggressive crackdown that threatens the livelihood of school kitchen managers who’ve dared to order the illicit treat.
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2StfYJEOp
    Last edited by green73; 05-10-2013 at 07:41 AM.



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    and what will they use in the place of butter?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

  4. #3
    Butter is now a "treat"?

    Must be something in the water up there...

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    and what will they use in the place of butter?
    Jelly, peanut butter and cream cheese for bread. For cooking, healthy salad oils. That's according to the article.

    Someone should make a meme about the NYC schools replacing butter with jelly for health reasons.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

  6. #5
    Yeah, that $#@! would never fly in the south.
    Rand Paul 2016

  7. #6
    First they went after the candy machines.

    Then they took aim at the sugary sodas. And most of the bake sales. And the greasy french fries at lunchtime.

    And now..
    This deserves a Martin Neimoeller rewrite
    The wisdom of Swordy:

    On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

    It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

    On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by V for Vendetta
    Evey Hammond: [takes a bite of the breakfast V cooked] It's delicious! God, I haven't had real butter since I was a little girl! Where did you get it?

    V: A government supply train on its way to Chancellor Sutler.

    Evey Hammond: You stole this from Chancellor Sutler?

    V: Yes.

    Evey Hammond: You're insane!
    Life imitating art?
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

  9. #8
    Meh. This would be more of an issue if they were banning bringing your own food or removing healthier food choices and adding in unhealthy ones.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    I can't believe it's not fascism!

    P.S. That's because it is!
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

  12. #10
    bring your own food, school food is worse than prison food
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

    We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

    ...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

    How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbot24 View Post
    I can't believe it's not fascism!

    P.S. That's because it is!
    I doubt the dairy lobby told the district to remove butter and replace it with cream cheese and jelly.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

  14. #12
    There is nothing unhealthy about butter.

    What is unhealthy is being naive about eating and stuffing your face with way too much butter. Then you get fat.
    One thing that I think is sort of a trend, I see a lot of overweight people stuffing their faces with 'light' or 'low-calorie' products.
    Yet they fail to understand that a lot times a little amount of calories is still a lot and the sweeteners and other things that have been added to the food make you eat more of it to begin with.

    I would classify this as an attempt to learn kids that they should eat processed foods from brands that say they have great laboratories with SCIENCE! Science which tells them how they should live, because that's the only way to be healthy. Which just so happens to be the socialist utopia.

    Luckily schools here don't provide lunch for kids, they have to bring their own.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    Meh. This would be more of an issue if they were banning bringing your own food or removing healthier food choices and adding in unhealthy ones.
    Butter IS healthy- and their substitutes will either be margarine or soy oils.

    As a health nut, I am here to tell you that real butter is healthy and is filled with the kind of natural fat necessary to lose weight. Without real fat in your diet, sustainable weight loss is almost impossible; this is why so many Americans are fat- they are eating lots of grains and bad fats.
    There is no spoon.

  16. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    There is nothing unhealthy about butter.

    What is unhealthy is being naive about eating and stuffing your face with way too much butter. Then you get fat.
    One thing that I think is sort of a trend, I see a lot of overweight people stuffing their faces with 'light' or 'low-calorie' products.
    Yet they fail to understand that a lot times a little amount of calories is still a lot and the sweeteners and other things that have been added to the food make you eat more of it to begin with.

    I would classify this as an attempt to learn kids that they should eat processed foods from brands that say they have great laboratories with SCIENCE! Science which tells them how they should live, because that's the only way to be healthy. Which just so happens to be the socialist utopia.

    Luckily schools here don't provide lunch for kids, they have to bring their own.
    As I just said- butter does NOT make you fat- you NEED healthy fats to lose weight. It's the unhealthy enriched bleached flour rolls you are putting it on that adds weight.
    Last edited by Ender; 05-10-2013 at 08:32 AM.
    There is no spoon.

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    Meh. This would be more of an issue if they were banning bringing your own food or removing healthier food choices and adding in unhealthy ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    bring your own food, school food is worse than prison food
    They're working on it. Already in North Carolina the school officials determined a preschooler's packed lunch didn't meet health standards, confiscated the child's lunch, and forced her to eat the school's chicken "nuggets".

    In Chicago they've already placed a ban on packing (certain) lunches and snacks.

    Don't you know the State's school system knows better how to feed children than their actual parents!
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

  18. #16
    Why is it the only time you are actually "allowed" to eat whatever you choose is when you are a geriatric diagnosed with hardened arteries and people are just waiting for you to die? Then, when you eat fried lard on a stick dipped in butter and topped in sugar, people just shake their heads and say, "Don't bother trying to make him do anything. He's going to eat whatever he wants to eat, even if it kills him!" Should have been that way your whole life. Even then, it's not called freedom, it's called stubbornness.
    Last edited by paulbot24; 05-10-2013 at 08:43 AM.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

    Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    There is nothing unhealthy about butter.

    What is unhealthy is being naive about eating and stuffing your face with way too much butter. Then you get fat.
    One thing that I think is sort of a trend, I see a lot of overweight people stuffing their faces with 'light' or 'low-calorie' products.
    Yet they fail to understand that a lot times a little amount of calories is still a lot and the sweeteners and other things that have been added to the food make you eat more of it to begin with.

    I would classify this as an attempt to learn kids that they should eat processed foods from brands that say they have great laboratories with SCIENCE! Science which tells them how they should live, because that's the only way to be healthy. Which just so happens to be the socialist utopia.

    Luckily schools here don't provide lunch for kids, they have to bring their own.
    The issue with that is butter packs way more fat than other alternatives in smaller amounts. Not only that, but choices like peanut or almond butter are way more filling, which means you'd eat less as a result.

  21. #18
    My 3rd grade teacher brought cream into school along with a mason jar and actually had us make butter in class--we were allowed to eat it too. Guess these kids won't be learning anything similar.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

  22. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Butter IS healthy- and their substitutes will either be margarine or soy oils.

    As a health nut, I am here to tell you that real butter is healthy and is filled with the kind of natural fat necessary to lose weight. Without real fat in your diet, sustainable weight loss is almost impossible; this is why so many Americans are fat- they are eating lots of grains and bad fats.
    So butter made from nuts isn't a healthier alternative? And are nuts not more filling?

    Obviously moderation is always key, but feeling more full for longer periods of time will help. And yes, they should replace their breads with whole wheat/grain if they're going to be making changes to foods (if they haven't already).

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    The issue with that is butter packs way more fat than other alternatives in smaller amounts. Not only that, but choices like peanut or almond butter are way more filling, which means you'd eat less as a result.
    And this is the problem. They are not offering healthier options.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

  24. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by luctor-et-emergo View Post
    There is nothing unhealthy about butter.

    What is unhealthy is being naive about eating and stuffing your face with way too much butter. Then you get fat.
    One thing that I think is sort of a trend, I see a lot of overweight people stuffing their faces with 'light' or 'low-calorie' products.
    Yet they fail to understand that a lot times a little amount of calories is still a lot and the sweeteners and other things that have been added to the food make you eat more of it to begin with.

    I would classify this as an attempt to learn kids that they should eat processed foods from brands that say they have great laboratories with SCIENCE! Science which tells them how they should live, because that's the only way to be healthy. Which just so happens to be the socialist utopia.

    Luckily schools here don't provide lunch for kids, they have to bring their own.
    Uhhh...the processes behind making butter (and soap and just about everything else) is made using SCIENCE! Not everything that comes out of a laboratory is "bad."
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

  25. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    My 3rd grade teacher brought cream into school along with a mason jar and actually had us make butter in class--we were allowed to eat it too. Guess these kids won't be learning anything similar.
    hahaha yes yes, this is how I found out where butter milk comes from :P
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    The issue with that is butter packs way more fat than other alternatives in smaller amounts. Not only that, but choices like peanut or almond butter are way more filling, which means you'd eat less as a result.
    Peanut butter is not healthier than butter- especially if it is made with hydrogenated oil. Many people are also allergic to peanuts. Almond butter is good if freshly ground. Butter is just as good- especially if unpasteurized- and the fat in butter is good for you.
    Last edited by Ender; 05-10-2013 at 08:41 AM.
    There is no spoon.

  27. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    My 3rd grade teacher brought cream into school along with a mason jar and actually had us make butter in class--we were allowed to eat it too. Guess these kids won't be learning anything similar.
    That is education, doing, experiencing directly.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

    "nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

    "I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Peanut butter is not healthier than butter- especially if it is made with hydrogenated oil. Many people are also allergic to peanuts. Almond butter is good if freshly ground. Butter is just as good- especially if unpasteurized- and the fat in butter is good for you.
    It's too bad the fat and "fat" are used synonymously.
    "When a portion of wealth is transferred from the person who owns it—without his consent and without compensation, and whether by force or by fraud—to anyone who does not own it, then I say that property is violated; that an act of plunder is committed." - Bastiat : The Law

    "nothing evil grows in alcohol" ~ @presence

    "I mean can you imagine what it would be like if firemen acted like police officers? They would only go into a burning house only if there's a 100% chance they won't get any burns. I mean, you've got to fully protect thy self first." ~ juleswin

  30. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Peanut butter is not healthier than butter- especially if it is made with hydrogenated oil. Many people are also allergic to peanuts. Almond butter is good if freshly ground. Butter is just as good- especially if unpasteurized- and the fat in butter is good for you.
    But what about all the saturated fats in butter? There are "good" and "bad" fats in food.

    As for allergies, that's why first and foremost, bringing your own school lunches should NEVER be banned. Of course, not just for allergy reasons, but it's an argument against any sort of ban.

    All this being said, we all know about the $#@! quality of school foods.

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    My 3rd grade teacher brought cream into school along with a mason jar and actually had us make butter in class--we were allowed to eat it too. Guess these kids won't be learning anything similar.

    We did that in 2nd grade. I remember to this day how delicious it was.

  32. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Antischism View Post
    But what about all the saturated fats in butter? There are "good" and "bad" fats in food.

    As for allergies, that's why first and foremost, bringing your own school lunches should NEVER be banned. Of course, not just for allergy reasons, but it's an argument against any sort of ban.

    All this being said, we all know about the $#@! quality of school foods.
    The saturated fat myth is more BS from TPTB.

    http://www.dietdoctor.com/science
    There is no spoon.

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    We did that in 2nd grade. I remember to this day how delicious it was.
    Same here, that's why it'll always stick with me. I can't say for certain, but the cream may have even been from her own cow.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

  34. #30
    low-fat salad oil according to the article.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Why you need to eat more butter
    By donnay in forum Personal Health & Well-Being
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2015, 08:35 AM
  2. Young Activist Schools Bill Ayers on Charter Schools
    By FrankRep in forum Education Freedom
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 04:23 PM
  3. NYC converts catholic schools into government schools :(
    By heavenlyboy34 in forum Education Freedom
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-09-2009, 10:56 PM
  4. What is Guns & Butter???
    By piotr1 in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 05:15 PM
  5. guns & butter
    By tarabyte in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •