Thread: Rand Paul slams Rubio's immigration bill

Rand Paul slams Rubio's immigration bill

http://rt.com/usa/rand-paul-rubio-immigration-015/
    Republican senator Marco Rubio has been one of the most active proponents of an immigration reform act, but now another conservative lawmaker — Rand Paul — is harshly critiquing the bill.

When Sen. Rubio (R-Florida) first endorsed the bipartisan immigration reform bill being touted by the so-called congressional “Gang of Eight,” the up-and-coming lawmaker’s approval was signaled as a sign that conservative colleagues on Capitol Hill would soon follow suit. Rubio has since warned that the bill isn’t guaranteed to get all the way to US President Barack Obama’s desk, though, and the immigration act has found an opponent in Sen. Rand Paul (R-Kentucky).

Speaking before the Senate Homeland Security Committee Hearing on Tuesday this week, Sen. Paul said that not only does he have his doubts the bill will pass but that he’s concerned over with what the act would actually do.

“It may pass the Senate [but] may not pass the House,” said the senator. “I want to be constructive in making the bill strong enough that conservatives, myself included, conservative Republicans in the House will vote for this because I think immigration reform is something we should do.”

“In this bill I am worried, though, and this is similar to what Senator [Ron] Johnson (R-Wisconin) said, that it says, well, you have to have a plan to build a fence, but you don't have to build a fence,” he continued. “And if you don't have a plan to build a fence, then you get a commission. I don't know what happens if the commission doesn't do anything. That's the story of Washington around here.”

Sen. Paul previously lashed out at fellow lawmakers for failing to read the bills they’re elected to vote on, insisting “Congress has a 10 percent approval rating and one of the reasons is that we don’t even obey our own rules.” On Tuesday, though, he condemned the latest efforts at immigration reform as being all too like another controversial bill that was disputed in Congress.

“To me, it's a little bit like Obamacare,” Paul said at this week’s hearing. “I hate to bring that up, but 1,800 references to the secretary shall at a later date decide things. We don't write bills around here. We should write the bill. We should write the plan. We should do these things to secure the border whether it be fence, entry, exit, we should write it, not delegate it. What's going to happen in five years if they don't do their job -- maybe not even them, maybe somebody else who doesn't do their job in five years, and the border is not secured? We will be blamed for the next 10 million that come here illegally.”

Just days before those remarks, the immigration effort came under fire over other concerns. A Heritage Foundation study released on Monday accused the Gang of Eight’s efforts as costing a minimum of $6.3 trillion over the lifetime of the estimated 11 million aliens currently residing in the US illegally.

According to the New York Times, Heritage alleged that the bill, if enacted, would not consider the comparably meager $3.1 trillion in taxes those immigrants would pay under a path-to-citizenship plan, all the while receiving an estimated $9.4 trillion in government benefits and services.

“Heritage, I think, is the king of dynamic scoring, and in many respects we’ve advocated for dynamic scoring here because of the positions that they’ve taken,” Rubio, a chief author of the legislation, told the Times. “They are the only group that’s looked at this issue and reached the conclusion they’ve reached. Everybody else who has analyzed immigration reform understands that if you do it, and we do it right, it will be a net positive for our economy.”

One week earlier, Sen. Rubio told radio host Mike Gallagher, “The bill that’s in place right now probably can’t pass the House.” Foreshadowing Sen. Paul’s warning this week, Rubio said at the time of the bill he co-wrote that “It will have to be adjusted because people are very suspicious about the willingness of the government to enforce the laws now.”

Both Rubio and Paul were at one time considered likely running mates for former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney during his unsuccessful bid for president in 2012. Both lawmakers were also elected to respond to Pres. Obama’s 2013 State of the Union: Rubio on behalf of the GOP, and Paul as a representative of the Tea Party faction. They have since each been rumored to be potential Republican Party nominee for a White House run in the next presidential election.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i wasn't slamming into the W's dream act becuz the "W" wrote the thingie an' had wanted some high public praise for once,
    because as a baystater, i feel all our illegal immigrants should be treated by the same standards we have shown to my home
    state's population of illegal irish immigrants who often do not get a green card but can boldly moonlight under the table often
    by holding down two jobs for a less than minimum wage fistful of greenback dollars often taken from a ringing register, and i
    expect the illegals to abide by our laws more often than our citizens do. the dream act wisely assumes at least 90% of the
    illegals are in the process of working themselves into an early heart attack, and that they must despise public welfare, which
    they do. marco rubio is simply a blatant advertisement for ex-gov jeb bush's presidential ambitions as he steals one of the good
    ideas that the "W" managed to find in his travels. i think we all should look at each immigrant carefully and demand that they
    justify any break they may get in the long process of becoming an american citizen in full. i have lived in a city with illegal irish.

Rand really needs an attack dog in Congress to give him a hand. He can't always be the one making the attacks.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    Rand really needs an attack dog in Congress to give him a hand. He can't always be the one making the attacks.
    Don't worry, he got elected this week.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeH View Post
    Hope so.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by JakeH View Post
    Who?
    The Heart of Conservatism is Libertarianism - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Kregisen View Post
    Who?
    Sandford I guess. He doesn't seem to fit the part, but his give a $#@! meter is probably pegged right now.

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    Steve Stockman is a non-stop attack dog.

btw, like how Rand is attacking Rubio and Clinton right now

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Speaking of Steve Stockman, C4L or Ron/Rand must have given him a mailing list because I get stuff from him all the time. Part of me has always wanted to get active in politics, and even though I've dreamed running statewide it has to be so nice living in a district like Stockman's where you get to do whatever the hell you want hahaha.