Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Students suspended for 'twerking' video

Students suspended for 'twerking' video

A group of high school students has been suspended from Scripps Ranch High School and may not be able to attend prom or walk during commencement ceremonies because of a video made at school that depicts “twerking,” a suggestive manner of dancing.

Parents and students confirmed that many were suspended and told not to return to school until Friday. School board member Kevin Beiser said he was told 31 students were suspended.

Jack Brandais, a spokesman for the San Diego Unified School District, said he could not discuss student discipline matters.

The video apparently violates the school’s sexual harassment policy that prohibits verbal, visual or physical conduct of a sexual nature. Twerking involves the shaking and twisting of hips in a suggestive dance move.
    cont
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/...scripps-ranch/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgoyVRO0A0E

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Some things never change.

^^^ Golly gee, that was so inspiring it brought tears to my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by green73 View Post
    ^^^ Golly gee, that was so inspiring it brought tears to my eyes.
    That's some fine Pecorino Romano! HARD - CORE - CHEESE, baby...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

"The shaking and twisting of hips in a suggestive dance move".

Brings me back to the days of Elvis. And I wasn't even born yet.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

"School board member Kevin Beiser said he was told 31 students were suspended."

31!!!! HAHAHA

I'm getting sick and tired of seeing kids suspended for behavior outside of school.

I didn't see the video, but I'm assuming that is what happened here.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I'm getting sick and tired of seeing kids suspended for behavior outside of school.
    Bingo!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Another motivation, independent thought:

Lyston McNear, a 17-year-old senior, said he was suspended even though he didn’t appear in the video or shoot it, but because he came up with the original idea for the project.

www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/may/01/twerking-students-suspension-dance-scripps-ranch/
    AFAIK, coming up with ideas doesn't violate "the school’s sexual harassment policy that prohibits verbal, visual or physical conduct of a sexual nature".

Quote Originally Posted by fr33 View Post
    Some things never change.
    Eh, there was dancing in Footloose. What the kids did was a sexual act and not dancing. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't be suspended, I make no judgement on that. But this is not dancing.

It would seem homeschooling is fast becoming the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by Yieu View Post
    Eh, there was dancing in Footloose. What the kids did was a sexual act and not dancing. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't be suspended, I make no judgement on that. But this is not dancing.
    Pretty much every generation's dance moves get demonized like this.

If this is enough to get students suspended, I would hate to see the school's reaction when they learn none of these kids are virgins.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by jtap View Post
    It would seem homeschooling is fast becoming the only option.
    If you don't want your kids being influenced to shoot a video like that, yeah.

Are you going to make the claim that doing nothing more than bending over, sticking out your butt, and shaking it is only dancing and not sexual in nature?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "His kind of music is deplorable, a rancid smelling aphrodisiac...It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people."
    -Frank Sinatra, 1950s

“It isn’t enough to say that Elvis is kind to his parents, sends money home, and is the same unspoiled kid he was before all the commotion began. That still isn’t a free ticket to behave like a sex maniac in public.”
    -Eddie Condon, "Cosmopolitan," December 1956

http://www.elvis.com/about-the-king/...out_elvis.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    "His kind of music is deplorable, a rancid smelling aphrodisiac...It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people."
    -Frank Sinatra, 1950s

“It isn’t enough to say that Elvis is kind to his parents, sends money home, and is the same unspoiled kid he was before all the commotion began. That still isn’t a free ticket to behave like a sex maniac in public.”
    -Eddie Condon, "Cosmopolitan," December 1956

http://www.elvis.com/about-the-king/...out_elvis.aspx
    So people could rip their clothes off on stage and engage in intercourse, and it is still dancing because people said similar things about Sinatra.

So people could rip their clothes off on stage and engage in intercourse, and it is still dancing because people said similar things about Sinatra.
    How do you draw that analogy from the quotes I posted?

(That was Sinatra talking about Elvis)

From a couple statements made, it seemed like anything could be considered dancing into the future as long as you call it dancing. This is basically a mating call.

From a couple statements made, it seemed like anything could be considered dancing into the future as long as you call it dancing. This is basically a mating call.
    Statements I made?

How about the issue of students being punished in school for behavior out of school?

Are you good with that?

[edit]

Sorry, I reread the OP and this video in question was shot at school...
    Last edited by tod evans; 05-02-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Are you going to make the claim that doing nothing more than bending over, sticking out your butt, and shaking it is only dancing and not sexual in nature?
    All dancing is sexual in nature.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Statements I made?

How about the issue of students being punished in school for behavior out of school?

Are you good with that?
    Multiple statements in this thread that compared this to previous famous musicians or previous opinions on dancing.

Also, I'm not being combative.

And:

I'm not saying they should or shouldn't be suspended, I make no judgement on that.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    All dancing is sexual in nature.
    I simply disagree.

When I dance, it is religious in nature.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

That's probably how dancing originated.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

dannno, I'm not sure what all is in that video, but just because there might be people who might consider having sex on a stage to be dancing, does not mean I have to accept that it actually is dancing.

I simply disagree.

When I dance, it is religious in nature.
    Religion means nothing. If your dancing is spiritual in nature, then great. Sex is one of the most spiritual acts humans can engage in. They aren't really different per se.

//
    Last edited by dannno; 05-02-2013 at 01:04 PM.

dannno, I'm not sure what all is in that video, but just because there might be people who might consider having sex on a stage to be dancing, does not mean I have to accept that it actually is dancing.
    Nobody cares what you think dancing is.
    Last edited by dannno; 05-02-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast