Thread: Lew Rockwell's powerful peace manifesto Ron Paul's Institute for Peace and Prosperity

Lew Rockwell's powerful peace manifesto Ron Paul's Institute for Peace and Prosperity

Another Nail in the Neocon Coffin

http://lewrockwell.com/rockwell/mani...-peace212.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Nice! This part is VERY important (take it to heart, y'all)-
    (4) Never use "we" when speaking of the government.
    The people and the warmakers are two distinct groups. We must never say "we" when discussing the US government’s foreign policy. For one thing, the warmakers do not care about the opinions of the majority of Americans. It is silly and embarrassing for Americans to speak of "we" when discussing their government’s foreign policy, as if their input were necessary to or desired by those who make war.
    But it is also wrong, not to mention mischievous. When people identify themselves so closely with their government, they perceive attacks on their government’s foreign policy as attacks on themselves. It then becomes all the more difficult to reason with them – why, you’re insulting my foreign policy!
    Likewise, the use of "we" feeds into war fever. "We" have to get "them." People root for their governments as they would for a football team. And since we know ourselves to be decent and good, "they" can only be monstrous and evil, and deserving of whatever righteous justice "we" dispense to them.
    The antiwar left falls into this error just as often. They appeal to Americans with a catalogue of horrific crimes "we" have committed. But we haven’t committed those crimes. The same sociopaths who victimize Americans themselves every day, and over whom we have no real control, committed those crimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

this is good, but I really wish they would quit slinging 'neocon' around. It turns off so many people. Even 'neoconservative' seems more of a term of art, to those who aren't familiar with the distinction. The right was demonized as 'neocons' so long, even the bulk who weren't, that they just see that as an 'insult from the other side.' I think they should define 'neoconservative' and have the definition as a link on the Institute front page, personally.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    this is good, but I really wish they would quit slinging 'neocon' around. It turns off so many people. Even 'neoconservative' seems more of a term of art, to those who aren't familiar with the distinction. The right was demonized as 'neocons' so long, even the bulk who weren't, that they just see that as an 'insult from the other side.' I think they should define 'neoconservative' and have the definition as a link on the Institute front page, personally.
    That's a great idea.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    That's a great idea.
    I agree. The semantic shift in recent decades seems to have caused confusion among the booboisie as to what "neocon" means and its etymology. I once heard someone on the radio say that it's an anti-semitic slur.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I think something like "an overly interventionist foreign policy bolstered by excessive levels of military spending" would be a better way to characterize neocons, that'll help with the average base folks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Nice! This part is VERY important (take it to heart, y'all)-
    (4) Never use "we" when speaking of the government.
    The people and the warmakers are two distinct groups. We must never say "we" when discussing the US government’s foreign policy. For one thing, the warmakers do not care about the opinions of the majority of Americans. It is silly and embarrassing for Americans to speak of "we" when discussing their government’s foreign policy, as if their input were necessary to or desired by those who make war.
    But it is also wrong, not to mention mischievous. When people identify themselves so closely with their government, they perceive attacks on their government’s foreign policy as attacks on themselves. It then becomes all the more difficult to reason with them – why, you’re insulting my foreign policy!
    Likewise, the use of "we" feeds into war fever. "We" have to get "them." People root for their governments as they would for a football team. And since we know ourselves to be decent and good, "they" can only be monstrous and evil, and deserving of whatever righteous justice "we" dispense to them.
    The antiwar left falls into this error just as often. They appeal to Americans with a catalogue of horrific crimes "we" have committed. But we haven’t committed those crimes. The same sociopaths who victimize Americans themselves every day, and over whom we have no real control, committed those crimes.
    I admit I make this mistake... To be technical, don't the people who vote these fools into power bear some responsbility? (Admittedly, this includes a lot of my own family.)

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    I think something like "an overly interventionist foreign policy bolstered by excessive levels of military spending" would be a better way to characterize neocons, that'll help with the average base folks as well.
    Yeah, that's about it, although "Overly interventionist" and "Excessive" are up for debate. By anarcho-capitalist definitions, even minarchists would be neocons under those definitions
    This post represents only the opinions of Christian Liberty and not the rest of the forum. Use discretion when reading

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    but that isn't it either.

they are a big government group that believes in the Nobel Lie to achieve their ends by activating masses using evangelical or security arguments, but they themselves are about power.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 05-02-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.