Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Made in America

"Good-fast or cheap...........pick two."

If you've never heard this it's true........

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Its a treadmill pool thing/spa. We got it instead of a downpayment on a bigger house. It's going to pretty much fill up our unused single car garage. Can't wait.

Yeah, I gotta tell you I pretty much drooled with envy when I figured out what it was. I am not normally a gadget person, but......do want. Looks like the RPF Midwest party needs to be at your house.

//
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-16-2016 at 10:01 PM.

Yay! Good for you! My sister-in-law has a new Forester and she loves it - it's a pretty sweet ride and that lap pool is the bomb!

Well, we aren't in the Midwest. Ya know I almost didn't post it because I know there are rpf'ers hurting out there economically and I didn't want to come off as a braggart; but it was just cool not to share.

As I mentioned in another thread; my wife really wanted to move to a bigger more expensive house. But after MUCH discussion, we determined that this swim device and a new car would improve our quality of life more than a bigger house and mortgage. So we are staying in our small, modest house which is probably the smallest house they ever delivered one of these beasts to.

As to the car: I really would have preferred to buy an American made vehicle; but we test drove and researched em all and nothing came close in the quality/performance/price range of the Subaru forester. So that's what the little woman has now to improve her commute to work. We had been a 1 car family for about 9 years...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelDavis View Post
    No. I am going to buy the best quality good for the lowest price. It may happen to be made in America, it will likely not. That's what's great about the free market. We need to lower corporate income taxes to stay competitive with the rest of the world. Greedy union thugs don't help either. Remember Hostess?
    It will also likely have gone through an intermediary of some sort in America.

There are some awesome companies in the US who make quality products. There are also some who do so but happen to be based overseas. When you buy a Toyota instead of a Ford, your dollars are still employing Americans. This is why the rabid "overseas stuff is junk" people perplex me. Even those items exclusively made in the USA still depend greatly upon foreign-made machinery and computers to get the job done, which means that when your local widget plant expands, they are going to spend some of their money on foreign stuff.

That doesn't all fit neatly on a single label, though.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Yeah, I gotta tell you I pretty much drooled with envy when I figured out what it was. I am not normally a gadget person, but......do want. Looks like the RPF Midwest party needs to be at your house.
    Could make it my place since he is not in the Midwest.

I just fasten this to the tailgate when I want to practice my strokes:
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    It will also likely have gone through an intermediary of some sort in America.

There are some awesome companies in the US who make quality products. There are also some who do so but happen to be based overseas. When you buy a Toyota instead of a Ford, your dollars are still employing Americans. This is why the rabid "overseas stuff is junk" people perplex me. Even those items exclusively made in the USA still depend greatly upon foreign-made machinery and computers to get the job done, which means that when your local widget plant expands, they are going to spend some of their money on foreign stuff.

That doesn't all fit neatly on a single label, though.
    That's just how people are. Slap a Brazilian flag on the bottom of your product and everyone will love it and want to buy it. (That's in Brazil, of course.) Slap an Indian flag on the bottom of your product and everyone will love it and want to buy it. It's the same everywhere. People are hopelessly provincial.

Last fall I hired a lawn company to do my leaf cleanup. I found the company on craigslist and admired their ballsy pitch: American owned company, all employees are american, NO ILLEGALS on ground crew. They did a good job at competitive rates.

Its gonna a be a busy summer; so I searched on craigslist and found them using the same pitch. Hired em to do the lawn this summer; cheaper than the rates I've been quoted by the companies my neighbors use with a bunch of Guatemalans. Bonus is I have ground crew that I can talk to without making big hand motions, finger pointing and broken spanglish.

edit: saw 3 neighbors ask him for his business card/flyer while he was working. seeing a young white guy doing lawns is a rarity around here.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-02-2014 at 06:10 PM.

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Wow, specs, you are really committed to this whole "Made in America" thing, aren't you?

./

Bonus is I have ground crew that I can talk to without making big hand motions, finger pointing and broken spanglish.

edit: saw 3 neighbors ask him for his business card/flyer while he was working. seeing a young white guy doing lawns is a rarity around here.
    Seems like a lot of the foreigners are starting to get comfortable with having a monopoly on this kind of work as well. Starting to get lazier and lazier. Am glad that you were able to bring some change to the neighborhood.

Does that infringe on you in anyway?
    No, sir! I was just asking. That sounds like a yes.

I like quality products; I find American service and products of higher quality on average. I guess I could buy overseas products that are inexpensive partly due to cheap oil made so from the deaths and subjugation of millions; but that's not my style -- to each their own.
    Sounds like a load of hooey to me. But, we all have our narratives that we buy into. None completely align with reality, no doubt. We've just got to try to sort things out the best we can.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    ./

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 09:59 PM.

./

Isn't one supporting Americans when one buys a foreign-made product from an American retailer?

Quote Originally Posted by MRK View Post
    Isn't one supporting Americans when one buys a foreign-made product from an American retailer?
    I dunno , but I will not buy anything $#@!ty , from anywhere .

./

I bought some American made baseball bats from the American Bat Company.

http://www.americanbatco.blogspot.com/p/our-bats.html

I bought an 1852 gold pc. , made in america

26. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I bought two cases of Pabst Blue Ribbon,made in America.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Best leather conditioner...ever. I can't recommend enough...

Since 1968, master leather craftsmen and individuals alike have been relying on Leather Honey, the premium leather conditioner, to condition used leather and protect new leather. Uniquely formulated to penetrate deep into the pores of the leather, Leather Honey Leather Conditioner is designed to bring out the best in your favorite leather – from classic equestrian items to furniture, automobiles, shoes, apparel, wallets and more. And we do it without the use of any animal products, silicone, toxins, solvents, or other harmful chemicals.

Don’t just take our word for it — Leather Honey is the top-rated and best-selling leather conditioner on Amazon.com, with over 800 five-star reviews.

Sold by the same family that invented the product over 45 years ago, both Leather Honey Leather Conditioner and our NEW Leather Honey Leather Cleaner are proudly Made in the USA.
    Why is it important to be chemical free?
    Leather is always in contact with our skin – we wear it, sit on it, and even sleep on it. Adding toxins to your leather care products puts you at risk for developing irritations or sickness – and that’s something we’re just not willing to do.

Our leather conditioner is an original family recipe, developed in 1968. Over 45 years later, the same formula continues to be sold by our family today, and it features only the highest-quality, premium ingredients. Call us old-fashioned, but we think that’s the right way to do it…and we’re never changing our ways.
    NON TOXIC • WATER REPELLENT • CONTROLS MILDEW • NO OILY RESIDUE

http://www.leatherhoney.com/

Last edited by phill4paul; 10-03-2014 at 07:21 PM.

The made in america maytag
    Someone would have to be totally unaware of the realities of manufacturing, or totally delusional, to believe that something like a washing machine like this was "Made in America".

It was made by the world.

Quote Originally Posted by MRK View Post
    You're supporting more Americans by buying domestically manufactured goods from an American retailer.

Quote Originally Posted by FloralScent View Post
    You're supporting more Americans by buying domestically manufactured goods from an American retailer.
    But if you get less satisfaction for more dollars, then you are failing to support the one American that it's very important that you support: yourself.

As I've said before, "Made in America" can be HIGHLY deceiving!

Only a small percentage of a product's assembly need be done in the US for such a label to be legally true. For example, you can import wheel chairs, and simply put handles and feet rests on it, and it is now "Made in America". I understand the passion, but don't let it blind you to international standards for manufacturing and sales.

./

That machine is a year old now. Still going American strong with no problems whatsoever, its running right now as I type this in fact.
    LOL! U-S-A! U-S-A!

Try opening up the cover, specs. Go ahead, I'll wait.

What is that you see? What does that label on that motor say? How about the pump?

Eek! Anathema! Quick, where's your garlic?

Now open the control panel and check out that printed circuit board.

Aack! Back, demon silicon!

Look up the model numbers of all the electronic components and learn about their genesis.

Good thing you're always wearing your anti-furrin silver cross.

Shoot, where do you think the rubber hose came from? The threaded adjustable feet? Even the enameled steel panels for that matter?

This machine was most certainly not "Made in America" in any way that I would call particularly meaningful. Your Delusions May Vary.

35. Remove this section of ads by registering.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast