Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Made in America

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    I simply state truth, dropping nuggets where I feel moved upon to do so.
    I'm curious about the material make-up of these nuggets that are being dropped.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Its been a tough summer for our old appliances. Our old Chinese made dishwasher died yesterday and I needed to replace it in a hurry. I was going to get another Made in USA maytag; but there weren't any the right color within 100 miles of us. So I did some searching, ended up with a Made in the USA GE dishwasher.

stumbled upon this site where GE is marketing to the made in America segment where they tell you the total content % that is US sourced.
    http://www.geappliances.com/usa/
    My sister's Magtag stove just kicked the bucket yesterday not even 8 years old. $1800.00

We definitely live in a time where Planned obsolescence is prevalent.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dear specsaregood and all the rest of you,

I'm sorry. I finally get it now.

Yes, reality is that there are certain things that today you can only -- realistically -- make in China. But the temptation is when you understand how things work to be arrogant and think that is how they should work, that is the best way for them to work, and that those who say "no, this is not so great" are just ignorant and backwards and standing impotently, stupidly, -- laughably -- against the inevitable.

That is actually wrong.

I was wrong.

There is a value to America. America is a good thing. Western Civilization is a good thing, and in many ways America is the crowning achievement of Western Civilization, the best and freest civilization mankind has yet built. And to try to support American prosperity is a good thing. To try to support American productivity and industry is a good thing. I get that. To vote with your dollars for the American worker is a noble thing. By doing that you try, even though it may be in just a small way, to do what you can to make it possible for the American way of life to continue. For your kids and grandkids to actually have a chance to find jobs and have families, instead of go on welfare and sleep around randomly and basically give up on any future, because that future has moved to China.

It's worth it to try to save America. It may not be possible, but it is a worthwhile goal. And I am sorry I made fun of you for trying to do so.

And by the way:

Did some work on a deck today. Used these screws. They are the best. Box says Made in the USA or Germany... but hey, that's 50-50 odds at least! As specs says: don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Yes, reality is that there are certain things that today you can only -- realistically -- make in China. But the temptation is when you understand how things work to be arrogant and think that is how they should work, that is the best way for them to work, and that those who say "no, this is not so great" are just ignorant and backwards and standing impotently, stupidly, -- laughably -- against the inevitable.

That is actually wrong.

I was wrong.

There is a value to America. America is a good thing. Western Civilization is a good thing, and in many ways America is the crowning achievement of Western Civilization, the best and freest civilization mankind has yet built. And to try to support American prosperity is a good thing. To try to support American productivity and industry is a good thing. I get that. To vote with your dollars for the American worker is a noble thing. By doing that you try, even though it may be in just a small way, to do what you can to make it possible for the American way of life to continue. For your kids and grandkids to actually have a chance to find jobs and have families, instead of go on welfare and sleep around randomly and basically give up on any future, because that future has moved to China.

It's worth it to try to save America. It may not be possible, but it is a worthwhile goal. And I am sorry I made fun of you for trying to do so.
    What did you buy that crapped out that made you change your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    What did you buy that crapped out that made you change your mind?

It wasn't that at all. It was realizing that while in theory there are an infinite number of jobs (because there's an infinite amount of human desires, an infinite amount of stuff to be done) in real life people cannot turn on a dime. 50 million people can't go from working in the manufacturing industry to writing computer code overnight.

In real life, there's something to be said for making things. And for America to be great, we should be making things.

That is actually wrong.

I was wrong.

LOL - "Not sure if serious" was never said more...seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    LOL - "Not sure if serious" was never said more...seriously.
    Look out your window, AF. Does it look like April?!

I am totally serious and sincere.

Look out your window, AF. Does it look like April?!

I am totally serious and sincere.
    Well, good, glad to see you "saw the light".

I am always trying to learn new things, to challenge my beliefs, and to get closer to the truth. I hope I will never stop -- I certainly don't plan to.

Thanks for putting up with me (kind of! ) in the meantime. For the record, though, I never hated freedom. It still bugs me that you would say that. I am just a complex person with complex ideas in strange combinations that -- I know! -- can make me pretty incomprehensible to most everyone, on all sides of the aisle, and from all walks of life.

I hope to be able to work with you to save freedom; that I can contribute in my own small way to save America.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    America is the crowning achievement of Western Civilization, the best and freest civilization mankind has yet built.
    Source?

You see, erowe is an "r" strategist. He does not believe one society is -- or even possibly could be -- better than another. He does not believe any one culture is superior to any other. He does not believe any person is superior to any other person; we're all totally equal. (well, other than in a religious sense where some few elite are "elect" and others aren't, but that's a whole different story. He keeps that in a whole separate, condoned-off mental compartment.)

America is awesome. Literally, as in: awe-inspiring. I do not mean this in the blind, jingoistic sense that bxm constantly skewers so well. I mean that the virtues and values that Americans carved out and stood for are beautiful and very, very good. I am proud of America's history. I am proud of the heritage of the Declaration of Independence, Common Sense, the Bill of Rights, On Civil Disobedience, For a New Liberty, and so much more! We have contributed an unparalleled amount of literary and intellectual wealth to the cause of human liberty. I am proud of the incredible, almost super-human achievements of Thomas Edison, Cornelius Vanderbilt, Charles M. Schwab, Henry Ford, James J. Hill, Steve Jobs, and many others. I am proud of America's shining example of what a free market can do.

You don't like America and don't find it particularly valuable or worth preserving. Fine. Noted. But most of the rest of us do. It's not perfect and never has been. And -- shocker! -- chances are good that no human society ever will be perfect! The solution is not to denigrate and hate on America, but rather to exalt and celebrate the ideals and principles of America. If you must denigrate and hate, hate the betrayals and the corruption that has increasingly moved the reality of America away from its ideals. The solution is not the end and destruction of America -- for example through the third-world invasion you advocate -- it is to make America even more American! It is to get back to our roots, and in fact to improve on them, becoming ever better and ever freer.

And as for
    Source?
    Source? Same as our source for everything: my own senses. My body's ability to bring in sensory data and my mind's ability to interpret that data into information, that information into knowledge, and finally that knowledge into wisdom -- that is my source. Anyone with eyes can see that America is a comparatively good place to live and earn a living and raise a family. Do you have a family, erowe?

You see, erowe is an "r" strategist. He does not believe one society is -- or even possibly could be -- better than another. He does not believe any one culture is superior to any other. He does not believe any person is superior to any other person; we're all totally equal.
    None of this is true.

Source? Same as our source for everything: my own senses. My body's ability to bring in sensory data and my mind's ability to interpret that data into information, that information into knowledge, and finally that knowledge into wisdom -- that is my source. Anyone with eyes can see that America is a comparatively good place to live and earn a living and raise a family. Do you have a family, erowe?
    That's not a very good source. How would you be in any position to know what is the best and freest civilization mankind has ever built?

"Comparatively good" is not the same as "best ever."

Yes, I have a family.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    None of this is true.
    Good. Then you're reachable. You will eventually come around, like me. Just wait for it. Keep thinking. Keep learning.

That's not a very good source.
    And yet, it's the only one any of us have!

Yes, I have a family.
    And you are raising your children in America, true? Wouldn't it be great to make America better, not worse? Isn't it important to you that America be as good and high-quality as possible?

Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post
    I've used that website several times in the past. I like it. Try to buy American whenever I can, but i realized it is next to impossible to buy casual shoes made in America anymore. The only company that even does it at all is New Balance.
    SAS makes nice comfy shoes, from Texas. My local shoestore carries them

http://www.sasshoes.com/
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

I was surprised to find out that this new grill (also part of the deck project) was actually made in Texas (Arlington, to be specific)!

I didn't know there were any American grill manufacturers left (that actually manufactured in America, I mean).

It's a nice-looking grill, very sleek.

http://www.savorpro.com/

Kalamazoo Grills are made in Kalamazoo, MI. They're a hybrid of gas and wood. High end luxury item.

https://kalamazoogourmet.com

“…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-18-2016 at 10:01 PM.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I bought a snow shovel yesterday. And i'll be darned if the thing has Made in USA proudly stamped on it.

Also, this article was interesting:
    http://hackaday.com/2016/01/18/whats...r-made-in-usa/

more at link above.
    Harbor freight. Some stuff is good and cheap, but a lot of it is cheap in bad.
    Last edited by Danke; 05-03-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    [iQUOTE=specsaregood;6102709]I bought a snow shovel yesterday. And i'll be darned if the thing has Made in USA proudly stamped on it.

Also, this article was interesting:
    http://hackaday.com/2016/01/18/whats...r-made-in-usa/
    This is true and most of it , you only need to hold it to tell .Some of it you have to use .

more at link above.
    Harbor freight. Some stuff is good and cheap, but a lot of it is cheap and bad.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by oyarde; 06-13-2019 at 12:25 PM.

I just ordered a new leash for my 1 Year old Belgian Malinois. My other one which I've owned for 12 years is still good but it was my German Shepherd's leash who passed a couple of years back. I decided to get another one for the new boy. Only difference in them is that my old leash has a brass snap whereas the new ones use a high quality stainless steel. I could have got one with a brass snap in a 4' leash but I need a 6' leash with this dog. He has some learning to do yet.

It's top notch and the best leather leash money can buy. 35 bucks with free shipping from Leerburg which I'll link. Three links, I'll share. One for the leash and one for the manufacturing process, and, then, one for the Home Page. They're hand made in Wisconsin, America.

http://leerburg.com/6ft34inleatherleash.htm
    http://leerburg.com/amish.htm

http://leerburg.com/index.htm

Check out the collars, too.

Last edited by Natural Citizen; 05-03-2016 at 03:20 PM.

I'm typing this on this:

Bought it brand new from Unicomp a few weeks ago. It's a great keyboard. Very nice -- much better than the "modern" rubber-dome keyboards. They manufacture them in Kentucky. Very fast shipping, great service. I highly recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    You have, on numerous occasions, stated your praise and admiration and support for China.

China is now doing it's level best to squash perhaps the only true "free trade" zone on the face of the earth.

Why do you hate free trade?

Why do you mock and scorn people making free market decisions?

You hate freedom.

I stand by what I said.
    Interesting, the 180 degree U turn HH made before jumping the shark and finding the banhammer.

I, however, have remained consistent.

LUXURY WITHIN GRASP – HANDMADE LEATHER WALLETS

Cicero Leather is a family of leathersmiths who love to create handmade leather products. The inspiration of our products comes from the values we stand for
    As designers and manufacturers the best handmade men’s leather wallets, we believe that our values lie in our responsibility to offer customers the highest quality and luxurious designed products at the most affordable prices.
    Our products set out to break the traditional luxury mark-ups while retaining its high quality. These are the values we will strive to pursue to create the best products.
    All of our leather goods are made using premium smooth calf leather. Our designs include traditional handmade men’s leather wallets, handmade leather wallets, front pocket wallets and men’s bifold wallet.
    Every item we make is a unique, one of a kind masterpiece. The number one difference that sets Cicero Leather high above their competition, we make wallets because we love making people smile.
    ENJOY COMPLIMENTARY STANDARD FREE SHIPPING IN THE UNITED STATE OF AMERICA

^^^^^^^^^^ Piss poor etiquette! ^^^^^^^^

I was surprised to find out that this new grill (also part of the deck project) was actually made in Texas (Arlington, to be specific)!

I didn't know there were any American grill manufacturers left (that actually manufactured in America, I mean).

It's a nice-looking grill, very sleek.

http://www.savorpro.com/
    Thats what I have too .
    Do something Danke

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Do we really need another lesson in comparative advantage?!! Here?!

Buy American if that gives you some satisfaction, but don't fool yourself into thinking you are necessarily helping the economy by doing so.

I usually use the premise that if a product is relatively interchangeable, I'll go with the cheapest (thereby saving my wealth for something else). But if it's something I want to last, I buy the best quality so that I don't have to purchase it again later. The country of origin really doesn't come into play. If you really care about increasing the wealth of this country, you would make wise value judgments at every point in order to maximize your value gain. By doing so, you have increased your wealth.

Of course, if the feeling you get from buying American gives you some false sense of satisfaction, that may be rewarding in and of itself, thereby making it a wise value judgment for you - however, that does little to benefit the aggregate wealth of the country.
    + REP

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

My American made swim in place pool is still going strong all these years later, still gets used every day. I had a couple minor issues due to aging seals but that's expected.
    Same with all my other Made in America appliances, nothing but pleased with them.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456