Thread: The Boston Globe: Ron Paul criticizes Boston shutdown during manhunt

The Boston Globe: Ron Paul criticizes Boston shutdown during manhunt

WASHINGTON -- Former US representative Ron Paul has a warning for Americans after the Boston Marathon bombings, and it may come as a surprise.

The prominent libertarian says citizens should perhaps be more frightened by the police response to the attack -- which killed three and injured scores more -- than by the explosions themselves.

In an article called “Liberty Was Also Attacked in Boston,” the former Republican congressman and two-time presidential candidate compares the intense April 19 manhunt for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to “scenes from a military coup in a far off banana republic.”

“The Boston bombing provided the opportunity for the government to turn what should have been a police investigation into a military-style occupation of an American city,” Paul writes. “This unprecedented move should frighten us as much or more than the attack itself.”

Paul argues that the Boston case sets a dangerous precedent, recounting scenes of “paramilitary police riding in tanks and pointing automatic weapons at innocent citizens.”

“Once the government decides that its role is to keep us safe, whether economically or physically, they can only do so by taking away our liberties,” Paul writes. “That is what happened in Boston.”

During the manhunt, authorities encouraged residents in the Boston area to stay inside their homes. It created surreal scenes April 19, with eerily quiet streets.
    more at link: http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nati...FzK/story.html

the article is good. The comments are truly depressing.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 04-29-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    the article is good. The comments are truly depressing.

kate2468
    04/29/2013 08:14 PM

Dear Ron Paul:

I have a very particular Bostonian greeting for you. If you drive around Boston for a bit, I'm sure some kind stranger will honk to get your attention and demonstrate it for you.

Sincerely,

Everyone in Eastern Massachusetts who stayed home so the cops could catch the dirtbags who thought they could bring Boston to its knees

Ronin555
    04/29/2013 11:20 PM

Kate,

They brought Boston, Cambridge, Watertown and scores of businesses and individuals to their knees; after all, how do you explain that almost everyone stayed inside. Deval and most of law enforcement coddled us and intimidated us. I ignored the stay at home suggestion and went to my office in Cambridge. And, I was more concerned about some knucklehead cop, hopped up on adrenaline and power, harassing me than some wounded teenager shooting me. And from all the cruisers, helicopters, and military vehicles racing here and there, it appeared they were taking on an army, rather than a kid.

And as much as I slam Boobus for the quivering coward and idiot that he is, the people are all over the place on this.

There are hundreds of positive comments on the WaPo story.

14 comments from scared women, a doctor, and cops, is hardly a worthy cross section or sampling.

Stephen-B
    04/29/2013 10:01 PM

Well, we will see. We have now had 2 occasions this year where we have been told to stay inside, one enforced with a fine and one not. Previous to this the last travel ban was 35 years ago during the 78 blizzard. If this is the start of a new trend and it's fine with you all then enjoy. I'll be retiring out of state in a few more years and maybe that's best for both Massachusetts and me. You can keep your tanks and police spraying the sides of houses and street signs with panicky automatic gunfire. (How the police fired so many rounds at the boat scene when the suspect didn't even have a gun by then there is inexcusable.)