Thread: You've heard of global warming, how about planetary cooling?

You've heard of global warming, how about planetary cooling?

It's amazing that I think this scenario is the only doomsday plot that Hollyweird has never made a movie about. I can't think of a SF novel about it either. Can anyone think of one?

Anyway, I've had this unanswered question since I was in middle school science class and the teacher didn't know the answer.

It seems scientists got better at measuring the earths temperature and have found the core of the earth to be 6,000 deg C rather than the previous estimate of 5,000 deg C. A snippet from the article:

http://tehrantimes.com/component/content/article/107195

It’s been known for some time that the Earth’s core is made primarily of molten iron, and that it’s the temperature difference between the liquid core of the Earth and its solid mantle that causes the Earth to have a magnetic field.
    You do know what happens if the Earth looses it's magnetic field, right?

Well, my question in middle school science class was: "Well how long will it take to cool down"?

I've never heard anyone talk about that. My instructor had no clue.

If you've followed the reporting on the Curiosity rover, you should be aware that Mars used to have some stuff - like an atmosphere and water... But apparently, the core of that planet cooled down.

If anyone knows an answer, I'd be interested, but I was mainly posting this as we could have a lot of fun lampooning the progressives over global warming and telling them the real danger is planetary cooling. About how the rich countries that are more technologically advanced needs to tax poor countries so we can drill deep into the earth and install huge microwave ovens attached to nuke plants to keep the molten core, well, molten.

Maybe write a hysterical letter to some of the more "bright" "special" members of Congress like that guy who asked if the island would tip over if we put too many people on one side of it... see if we could get him to bite and run with it.

Really, planetary cooling should be injected into any discussion of Global warming. We could have a lot of fun with this!

-t

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I love this idea. Especially the OMG what about our magnetic field!! Our geek buttons are showing.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    Close, but no cigar. Not loosing gravity or atmosphere...

This one seems a bit closer, from your links section of "If you liked this, you will probably like this..."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298814/?ref_=tt_rec_tti

-t