Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record Number of Households on Food Stamps-- 1 out of Every 5

Record Number of Households on Food Stamps-- 1 out of Every 5

The latest available data from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) shows that a record number 23 million households in the United States are now on food stamps.

The most recent Supplemental Assistance Nutrition Program (SNAP) statistics of the number of households receiving food stamps shows that 23,087,886 households participated in January 2013 - an increase of 889,154 families from January 2012 when the number of households totaled 22,188,732.

The most recent statistics from the United States Census Bureau-- from December 2012-- puts the number of households in the United States at 115,310,000. If you divide 115,310,000 by 23,087,866, that equals one out of every five households now receiving food stamps.

As CNSNews.com previously reported, food stamp rolls in America recently surpassed the population of Spain. A record number 47,692,896 Americans are now enrolled in the program and the cost of food stamp fraud has more than doubled in just three years.

http://cnsnews.com/blog/joe-schoffst...-1-out-every-5
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

A lot of people don't work extra hours and don't go for promotions to lose their benefits. If they are around, not feeding your family because you got a minor raise is simply uneconomical. Welfare destroys society.

The idea that we used to be a nation that produced enough to feed her poor without borrowing or devaluing the currency...

Oh-well, I view programs such as this as a taxpayer funded voting block.....Problem is those who receive these monthly bribes will most assuredly not bite the hand that literally feeds them.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The idea that we used to be a nation that produced enough to feed her poor without borrowing or devaluing the currency...

Oh-well, I view programs such as this as a taxpayer funded voting block.....Problem is those who receive these monthly bribes will most assuredly not bite the hand that literally feeds them.
    If they can be painted a better future, many will.

Food stamps are one way that the government attempts to offset inflation.

Another fun fact was revealed on a radio show the other day. Apparently a lot of small food vendors and restaurants purchase their inventory with food stamps. Interesting market manipulation there.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-28-2013 at 10:30 AM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

But unemployment is down and wall street is up. Things _must_ be booming!
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post

Another fun fact was revealed on a radio show the other day. Apparently a lot of small food vendors and restaurants purchase their inventory with food stamps. Interesting market manipulation there.
    A lot of grocers are also grills, so people are getting cheeseburgers and bacon egg and cheese on food stamps.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by KrokHead View Post
    A lot of grocers are also grills, so people are getting cheeseburgers and bacon egg and cheese on food stamps.
    Srsly? I though only pre-packaged food (like frozen and canned stuff) can be bought with EBTs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Ridiculous that this country is being brought to its knees, while we watch. Freedoms unique feel and smell has been completely forgotten by every one of us to even allow it all to go this far. We must remind ourselves on occasion what freedom feels like to keep our fires burning inside.

A local KFC accepts food stamps.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Srsly? I though only pre-packaged food (like frozen and canned stuff) can be bought with EBTs.
    Not anymore. Plus there is a black market for food stamps, so they can be converted to cash.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Not anymore. Plus there is a black market for food stamps, so they can be converted to cash.
    So much for the original stated intent of food stamps-helping the poor "buy" healthy food. :P
    ETA: Not sure if this is common knowledge, but the EBT card programs in every state I'm aware of are created and operated by JP Morgan.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 04-28-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    A local KFC accepts food stamps.
    Are they selling macaroni, raw chicken, potatoes, flour and breadcrumbs? I thought one of the "rules" was that you at least had to prepare it at home.

Silly me.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

In San Bernadino , you can get a car wash,candy , gas & chips , frozen pizza ,a soda with ebt card, Shell station corner of Waterman Avenue and Orange Show Road.The Dominos pizza takes it too.

Why WOULDN'T someone go on foodstamps? My friend says his family ate better on foodstamps than off them.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2young2vote View Post
    Why WOULDN'T someone go on foodstamps? My friend says his family ate better on foodstamps than off them.
    If you have to ask it's hopeless..

U.S.S.A.?
    They're sure trying, aren't they?

More and more I use USA as example where Croatia is going to end if we dont get a grip.

iam pridem, ex quo suffragia nulli
uendimus, effudit curas; nam qui dabat olim
imperium, fasces, legiones, omnia, nunc se
continet atque duas tantum res anxius optat, 
panem et circenses.

Funny/interesting thing is Romans were destroyed before they got to your stage. First they were giving just wheat and later, when beurocracy expanded, they would give away already grinded flour. They were destroyed before they got to bread and foodstamps...
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business...ood-stamp-act/

Looks like Michigan, California, Florida and Arizona all have fast food chains using EBT. Is this something like pizza being called a vegetable for school lunches?

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Saw a guy at the store, they wouldn't take EBT's for his dog food. He threw a fit, went back to the meat department and came back with prime rib. Said his dogs would eat well this week.

Apparently they make small toys that include some candy. Those are allowed on food stamps too. Usually toys would not be allowed, so that's a way around that rule.

There is no need for food stamps where I am , the private charity , food banks , churches etc fill the entire gap, voluntarily like it should be.

My home state allows food stamps for a family of two under gross of $1579, max unemployment is $1568.So if one is not working one is drawing unemployment that household would qualify.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    But unemployment is down and wall street is up. Things _must_ be booming!
    exactly
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    There is no need for food stamps where I am , the private charity , food banks , churches etc fill the entire gap, voluntarily like it should be.
    It's the same in places with a lot of people on food stamps. They can get food from charities, and sell or barter the food stamps.

How does that work? With more money to go around in the system, the incentive for producers is to raise prices - not lower them.

Quote Originally Posted by ninepointfive View Post
    How does that work? With more money to go around in the system, the incentive for producers is to raise prices - not lower them.
    Monetary inflation does not automatically or immediately manifest itself in all areas equally.

If government subsidizes a vendor via food stamps, they can lower their prices to out-compete vendors who do not have that advantage.

And giving people food stamps offsets the impact (and perception) of inflation.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 04-29-2013 at 10:59 AM.

This sort of thing makes me hope for Noah part 2.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Saw a guy at the store, they wouldn't take EBT's for his dog food. He threw a fit, went back to the meat department and came back with prime rib. Said his dogs would eat well this week.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

If government subsidizes a vendor via food stamps, they can lower their prices to out-compete vendors who do not have that advantage.
    would that eventually mean an increase in prices after the market is free from competition?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast