Thread: Hostess Reopening Plants, Without Union Workers

Hostess Reopening Plants, Without Union Workers

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/twink...ry?id=19043854

The bankrupt assets of Hostess Brands, Inc., the company responsible for Twinkies, Ho Ho's, Sno Balls and Ding Dongs, are being put back to work by a buyout firm. What's not being put back to work are the former Hostess unionized employees.

The unionized workers had been on strike when the company folded late last year.

The company had imposed a contract that would cut its 19,000 workers' wages — 15,000 of whom belonged to the workers from the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers & Grain Millers International Union (BCTGM) — by 8 percent. (The Teamsters was Hostess' largest union, followed by BCTGM.) The contract would have also cut benefits by 27 to 32 percent.

Hostess filed for Chapter 11 in January 2012. In November 2012, the company announced it would be shutting its doors for good. By that time, it had lost about $1.1 billion, largely due to bankruptcy filings.

But last month Apollo Global Management, LLC, and Metropoulos & Co., which owns Pabst Blue Ribbon and Vlasic pickles, bought the 83-year-old company for $410 million, renaming it Hostess Brands LLC. It is planning to re-open four bakeries over the next two and a half months, in Columbus, Ga.; Emporia, Kan.; Schiller Park, Ill.; and Indianapolis. It is also contemplating a fifth in Los Angeles.

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, C. Dean Metropoulos, the company's chief executive, said that between now and September, he plans to inject $60 million in capital investments into the plants, and hopes to hire at least 1,500 workers.

But those workers won't be unionized.

"It appears that they are discharging the union contract in bankruptcy," said Matthew A. Kaufman, a labor attorney in Los Angeles who is not affiliated with the case.

While Metropoulos did not respond to interview requests from ABC News, he told the Journal that he does "not expect to be involved in the union going forward."

A spokesman for the Teamsters declined to comment. But in a November 2012 statement the Teamsters noted that the "BCTGM's leaders are putting Teamster members in a horrible position – asking them to support a strike that will put them out of a job when they haven't even asked all their members to go on strike."

A spokeswoman for the BCTGM did not return phone calls to ABC News. In a March statement, BTCGM president David Durkee said, "We share the enthusiasm, energy and passions exhibited by new ownership, and believe our highly-motivated and skilled workforce will serve as indispensable partners in the seamless re-opening of factories," he said.

But, according to the Journal, Metropoulos and his son, Daren, felt confident that they would be able to hire non-union employees near the new plants.

"We're trying to find the most qualified people in these local markets to come work for the company," Daren Metropoulos told the Journal.

*AWESOME!*

-t

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Twinkies, Yes! Unions, No!
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Good for Hostess. Looks like the unionized, that is to say exploited, pastry chef is going the way of the unionized undertaker.
    Best of luck in life.

Wow, so what if you really like unions AND pbr
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Do NOT let them eat cake.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Beats me, beat yourself?
    Best of luck in life.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    ummm... I suspect, come down to HT for a serious textual beat down and butthurt?

In general, I get the distinct impression ppl here do not like unions...

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent4ronpaul View Post
    In general, I get the distinct impression ppl here do not like unions...

-t
    I don't like unions, but I keep my mouth shut. I also don't like getting my ass kicked or being dead.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Too bad the fatcat union bosses are none the worse... LOL morons...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    Too bad the fatcat union bosses are none the worse... LOL morons...

I think you just defined the Obama Administrations policy...

-t

Hostess To Reopen For Business… Minus Union Workers Who Drove Company Into Bankruptcy…

The bankrupt assets of Hostess Brands, Inc., the company responsible for Twinkies, Ho Ho's, Sno Balls and Ding Dongs, are being put back to work by a buyout firm. What's not being put back to work are the former Hostess unionized employees.

The unionized workers had been on strike when the company folded late last year.

The company had imposed a contract that would cut its 19,000 workers' wages — 15,000 of whom belonged to the workers from the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers & Grain Millers International Union (BCTGM) — by 8 percent. (The Teamsters was Hostess' largest union, followed by BCTGM.) The contract would have also cut benefits by 27 to 32 percent.

Hostess filed for Chapter 11 in January 2012. In November 2012, the company announced it would be shutting its doors for good. By that time, it had lost about $1.1 billion, largely due to bankruptcy filings.

But last month Apollo Global Management, LLC, and Metropoulos & Co., which owns Pabst Blue Ribbon and Vlasic pickles, bought the 83-year-old company for $410 million, renaming it Hostess Brands LLC. It is planning to re-open four bakeries over the next two and a half months, in Columbus, Ga.; Emporia, Kan.; Schiller Park, Ill.; and Indianapolis. It is also contemplating a fifth in Los Angeles.

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, C. Dean Metropoulos, the company's chief executive, said that between now and September, he plans to inject $60 million in capital investments into the plants, and hopes to hire at least 1,500 workers.

But those workers won't be unionized.

"It appears that they are discharging the union contract in bankruptcy," said Matthew A. Kaufman, a labor attorney in Los Angeles who is not affiliated with the case.

While Metropoulos did not respond to interview requests from ABC News, he told the Journal that he does "not expect to be involved in the union going forward."

A spokesman for the Teamsters declined to comment. But in a November 2012 statement the Teamsters noted that the "BCTGM's leaders are putting Teamster members in a horrible position – asking them to support a strike that will put them out of a job when they haven't even asked all their members to go on strike."
    more: http://gma.yahoo.com/twinkies-return...ews-money.html

h/t: http://weaselzippers.us/2013/04/26/a...to-bankruptcy/
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

This comes as no surprise to me.

I'd be interested to see a list of the stockholders in the two Llc's that purchased the assets....

How big were the CEO's bonuses at Hostess again?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    But big bonuses is CAPITALISM! UNION BAD!

Anyway, it's tragic that a lot of people lost their jobs, but this is a free market correction.

Enormous compared to worker salaries.

But, this was a combination of piss poor management by both Hostess and the union. I fault both equally.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You know, I have to wonder. Why is it that unions look at a situation like Hostess and say "Management is greedy and is mismanaging the company! Let's go on strike." as opposed to "Management is greedy and is mismanaging the company. Let's form our own company and compete against them!" The Teamsters union itself is big enough that it could have bought Hostess when it went into bankruptcy. Sorry, but I could care less how big the CEO bonuses were as long as they didn't get a government bailout.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Will see. BCTG has enough clout yet to shut down all Union Bakeries in the United States and get the non-union, where applicable, to come to the table or face a loss of millions and more job losses. Its called 'negotiating'...Franz Bakery aka US Bakery in the Pacific Northwest, and Union, bought the Hostess Plant in Seattle. Still not clear what they intend to do with the land, building, and equipment.

Something like .03 a worker, IIRC?

Liberal Alert: Class warfare....

Too bad they're an LLC. I'd think about buying stock in them if I could.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Something like .03 a worker, IIRC?

Liberal Alert: Class warfare....
    Good call on the class warfare.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

The Hostess brands website is out of date.

Hostess Brands is Closed.

We are sorry to announce that Hostess Brands, Inc. has been forced by a Bakers Union strike to shut down all operations and sell all company assets.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRep View Post
    The Hostess brands website is out of date.

Hostess Brands is Closed.

We are sorry to announce that Hostess Brands, Inc. has been forced by a Bakers Union strike to shut down all operations and sell all company assets.
    Well, it isn't open yet, they just closed the deal, they have to hire and open bakeries, they have three planned with potentially a fourth in Los Angeles. My twinkies would be fresh if I ate twinkies! (Ding Dongs aren't half bad, however, if they find their way into my life to begin with...)
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

LibForestPaul

Its wonderful how the Just Us system work. Discharging debt and obligations for those thay deem worthy.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow, enough people still each this artificially crafted GMO gunk to churn out a profit?

I forecast that they will fall short again and ultimately fail; they were unable to sustain a workforce before when paying competitive salaries to pimp out their cruddy junk foods. Truthfully, who really wants to be eating products being mass-produced by a subset of employees earning around minimum wage and without benefits to boot? Sort of like eating at MacDonald’s, Taco Bell, et al—your better off just playing the Lotto instead, at then you could use your potential winnings to purchase truly whole foods, while avoiding debilitating sicknesses and obesity.

Oh yummiez tem’ Twinkies sound soo good, don’t tey nowz:
    Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Flour, Reduced Iron, B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Corn Syrup, Sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Water, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable and/or Animal Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola Oil, Beef Fat), Whole Eggs, Dextrose. Contains 2% or Less of: Modified Corn Starch, Glucose, Leavenings (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate), Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Salt, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Soy Lecithin, Soy Flour, Cornstarch, Cellulose Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Sorbic Acid (to Retain Freshness), Yellow 5, Red 40.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post
    Wow, enough people still each this artificially crafted GMO gunk to churn out a profit?

I forecast that they will fall short again and ultimately fail; they were unable to sustain a workforce before when paying competitive salaries to pimp out their cruddy junk foods. Truthfully, who really wants to be eating products being mass-produced by a subset of employees earning around minimum wage and without benefits to boot? Sort of like eating at MacDonald’s, Taco Bell, et al—your better off just playing the Lotto instead, at then you could use your potential winnings to purchase truly whole foods, while avoiding debilitating sicknesses and obesity.

Yeah. The new Hostess is doomed to fail like McDonald's.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Yeah. The new Hostess is doomed to fail like McDonald's.
    No, sadly, cheap and fast fake-foods have become America’s core food staple—it is how the average American family spends “quality” time together. Come on in for a visit, bring your entire family, and don't forget to bring your EBT Card with you!
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Most of America doesn't place nutritional value above flavor and convenience, and it's even a smaller group that even acknowledges the genetic make-up of their food.

Now this EBT/food-stamp BS is something I'd like to see ended yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Weston White View Post

Many trade groups are actually overseen by the USDA. Is a revolving door with some who are one year employed and serve the USDA and the next they are using their power of influence working and representing some of these companies. This is a conflict of interest when at one minute they represent the interests of the fast food/junk industry and then the next minute they are representing the nutritional interest of Americans.

It is possible that this will be the first generation in history to have a shorter life span than their parents. Business is apparently boomin. Growth versus survival. Two entirely different models of existence that contradict one another when we lose our sense of definition relevant to citizenship, personhood and subsequently representatuion of, by and for. These are essentially government controlled markets givin the above model of the revolving door.

Given the fact that this generation may very well be the first to have a shorter life span than their parents the model does appear that growth trumps survival. Humans need to eat. Inc's that deal in poisoning the human body just grow. Killing everything in it's path that relies upon survival. Business as usual.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 04-28-2013 at 04:11 AM.